Recourse with Car Dealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blfx4 View Post
    Chances are that one or more of the lifters had issue and possibly contaminated the engine. Honestly you are better off getting a complete engine than piecing one back together. We had a 2019 5.3l at work start having issues with a misfire on cylinder 7 with about the same mileage. A local dealer put in a single lifter and pushrod. Still had a tick noise and would set a code from time to time for a misfire on the same cylinder. Ended up that the camshaft was worn so after months of back and forth with gm field reps they put a complete engine in and the problem was solved. If they would have done it from the beginning it would of saved a lot of time and grief. The cylinder heads have to come off to replace the lifters on those engines, so depending on how much access the Escalade has they may remove it to do the work anyway. I know it is a hassle to pay for a premium vehicle and have issues, but nothing is perfect. I hope they get you taken care of. The new engine will also come with a better warranty.
    This imo.

Comment

Not sure if it is the case or not but had a coworker years ago that had a truck with very low miles that lost power to the point it would not make it up small incline from road to house.

Dealership sent wrecker and service manager told him they did not even completely diagnose, knew something failed and pulled motor and sent directly to engineers to be analyzed to determine exact cause so they could address. They dropped brand new crate motor in and he was back driving it within a week

I am like you OP, once a doubt is in my mind about something I want to be rid of it.

Comment

Been pretty well covered what the common issues are in GM engines. Bent pushrods in the 6.2's and the most common is the stuck lifters that eats the cam up and sends metal through the engine. Its been a problem since 2007 when GM introduced the AFM/DOD systems in their motors, although usually higher mileage and out of warranty.

Comment

Went through something similar with my wife's Lexus, the block had a casting flaw and had to be replaced. I went through the same emotions and thoughts you have. We kept it and had no other issues with it. We traded it in when we were ready for something bigger and I did not see a hit on the value.

Its a hard pill to swallow knowing that it has had to be worked on extensively at a dealership, feels like it has been violated and its not the vehicle that you paid top dollar for. I doubt there is little legal recourse, it doesn't fit the protection of the lemon law currently. They will argue that this is the reason vehicles come with a warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
            Was about to chine in with this. Cheap china steel
            Gm is at fault not china.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

The new engine is the route that would make me feel besting this situation. I would assume as mentioned, there must have been block damage, excessive metal etc. Lemmon law would not apply in this situation. The dealership identified the issue. Is fixing the issue. And you will get your vehicle back running as it should. Lemmon law cases are extremely hard to win. Not that it is worth a hill of beans... I am a GM master tech and see these issues arise. Moving forward I would recommend to not wait for the oil change light to let you know you need an oil change. This was likely not your issue at all. I would recommend every 4 to 5K miles do an oil change. Check/top off atleast once per month. After the new engine is installed I would change the oil at 500 to 1K miles. No matter what the dealer says. Also gives them a chance to make sure there is not any leaks etc. The 500 to 1K mile rule applies to any new vehicle. That is just my personal belief. It has not failed me yet.

Comment

Not sure if it's true or not but I was told by a friend in the Auto manufacture industry that a lot of the issues are from coronavirus replacement workers at the plants not knowing what they're doing. He said especially on Tahoes and Suburbans.

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
                  Wife's 21 Escalade is at dealer getting new motor. Has 11k miles on it. Just had 2nd oil change last month. Not sure I want it back. Willing to guess a carfax showing new motor at 11k is going to really hurt resalse value. Any grounds for a buyback or getting them to comp me for accelerated depreciation?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
                  How long you planning on keeping it? The longer you keep it the less relevant the new motor becomes. Damages, if any, are highly speculative at this point. And as others have noted, the new motor is actually the best solution.

Comment

Ask for the warranty to start over and/or be extended. Tell them your worry.

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                      How long you planning on keeping it? The longer you keep it the less relevant the new motor becomes. Damages, if any, are highly speculative at this point. And as others have noted, the new motor is actually the best solution.
                      We usually don't keep vehicles more than 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerdown View Post
                        Not sure if it's true or not but I was told by a friend in the Auto manufacture industry that a lot of the issues are from coronavirus replacement workers at the plants not knowing what they're doing. He said especially on Tahoes and Suburbans.
                        I can absolutely believe this. The fact that the dealer said they've had several problems with 21 models only reinforces my belief that it's related to all the plant shut downs.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                          The new engine is the route that would make me feel besting this situation. I would assume as mentioned, there must have been block damage, excessive metal etc. Lemmon law would not apply in this situation. The dealership identified the issue. Is fixing the issue. And you will get your vehicle back running as it should. Lemmon law cases are extremely hard to win. Not that it is worth a hill of beans... I am a GM master tech and see these issues arise. Moving forward I would recommend to not wait for the oil change light to let you know you need an oil change. This was likely not your issue at all. I would recommend every 4 to 5K miles do an oil change. Check/top off atleast once per month. After the new engine is installed I would change the oil at 500 to 1K miles. No matter what the dealer says. Also gives them a chance to make sure there is not any leaks etc. The 500 to 1K mile rule applies to any new vehicle. That is just my personal belief. It has not failed me yet.
                          I believe the dealer is doing everything they should to repair it. Issue is more with gm than dealer. 2nd time in shop in 11k miles. Sunroof visor failed and was stuck half open. Now a new motor at 11k mi. And not anyone's fault but had to get a new windshield as the other was very damaged buy a rock. Will be going on 2.5 weeks this thing has seen in the shop since December. Not a great feeling after dropping 6 digits on the latest and greatest ride any America auto maker puts out right now.

Comment

I believe the dealer is doing everything they should to repair it. Issue is more with gm than dealer. 2nd time in shop in 11k miles. Sunroof visor failed and was stuck half open. Now a new motor at 11k mi. And not anyone's fault but had to get a new windshield as the other was very damaged buy a rock. Will be going on 2.5 weeks this thing has seen in the shop since December. Not a great feeling after dropping 6 digits on the latest and greatest ride any America auto maker puts out right now.

Your complaint is with GM/Cadillac and the dealer is kind of the go between. It is much easier process if the dealer is on your side, but it is still a longshot under lemon law. The reality is you will likely gain $2-5K position if you win, and will probably take close to a year. Odds 100:1...

Comment

You will need to look into lemon laws. Stuff does happen, but appears you have had multiple
                              Issues.

Comment

Lol, I don't know about all that...certainly the latest though.

I hope you get it straightened out. I had to battle with Dodge for an alignment on my Hellcat. As soon as I got it aligned, I sold it. Not worth the headache, and risk, if I blow a tire doing 180 mph because Dodge can't properly align a car from the factory, and the dealership can't align the car without basically removing the entire suspension to move the cradle.

Comment

Working...
                                X