No announcement yet.

Thinking about a Camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it is legal to tow a trailer behind a trailer, as long as the weight is within legal limits. Pull up the specs on your truck (engine/rear end/bed length) and that will tell you what your max legal towing weight is. I would find a trailer that is no more than 80% of that number with everything in it (water/stuff you carry+weight of your other trailer/jeep). To be legal. Some folks just do it and never get stopped by troopers and never have an issue. And on the subject of legal, if the total GCWR (max carrying capacity of everything combined) is over 26,001lbs and tow vehicle GVWR is over 10K (F250 is), then you need a Class A non-CDL license to drive it. Again, most folks dont do that and never have an issue. But its why I stayed under 15K GVWR on my fifth wheel

Comment

If it’s going to be over 25 ft, get one with TWO air conditioners. Our single ac has a helluva time keeping up when temps are 95 plus..

Comment

We are going to be selling ours soon, icing to a fifth wheel. Gonna price around 20k.
        2015 Tracer Ultra Lite 3200BHT with outdoor kitchen.
        Attached Files

Comment

If looking at boating, maybe a travel trailer isn't the best option. A class c RV can pull a trailer also. If you look around, the price difference may not be that much. Most RV's don't get a lot of miles on the chassis.

Comment

It can’t be over 65’ total length, if your going to pull a trailer ( side by side) behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul View Post
              We are going to be selling ours soon, icing to a fifth wheel. Gonna price around 20k.
              2015 Tracer Ultra Lite 3200BHT with outdoor kitchen.

How many does it sleep and what condition would you say it’s in. Looks like a nice model, what’s the details, how are tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can see I have devolved in my old age.

You folks have some nice rigs.

Comment

Sleeps 5, we took out the dinette. Was crazy uncomfortable anyway. 3 bunks and a queen, 50 amp two AC’s. Awning in great shape, it’s a solid 7 out of 10. You want more pics PM me your Cell number.

Comment

We started with a tent, pop up, bumper pull, 5th and now a Class A. The popup was the most fun with the kids, we had a blast camping on the beach. The easiest is our current Class A DP, 38'. Literally jump in and go. I'd go with the biggest you can afford/pull/store. Make sure to look at the tires and check date codes. That can be a good bargaining chip. Most will have deep tread and be the original ones that came on it. Check the roofs and sewer systems. I would try to buy one that has been stored under a roof/shelter.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                      We started with a tent, pop up, bumper pull, 5th and now a Class A. The popup was the most fun with the kids, we had a blast camping on the beach. The easiest is our current Class A DP, 38'. Literally jump in and go. I'd go with the biggest you can afford/pull/store. Make sure to look at the tires and check date codes. That can be a good bargaining chip. Most will have deep tread and be the original ones that came on it. Check the roofs and sewer systems. I would try to buy one that has been stored under a roof/shelter.
                      Do you uber for side excursions?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Dodson View Post
                        F250 diesel

Get a 5th wheel instead of a bumper pull. Just be aware of your payload capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Dodson View Post
                          Also is it legal to pull a trailer behind a camper, we have a razr we take places now and would want to tow it or a Jeep back there

In Texas you can tandem tow up to a total overall length of 65’. A 5th wheel will help here with total length as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                            Do you uber for side excursions?
                            Most of the time we flat tow a Jeep. There have been times we used uber.

Comment

We just got a travel trailer. We have only been on one trip so far but it was nice.

Going to the coast in a few weeks. Our camper is like 37’ long, which just might be a little long but it’s very comfortable for me, the wife, 2 teenagers and 2 dogs.

Comment

Get out a pencil and figure out what it will cost you depreciation wise and fuel MPG. I would guess it is cheaper to rent a house for a few nights. We try to do 15 nights a year in a tent. I had an RV and I am back in a tent, I just do not camp in Texas from May until October.

Comment

Working...
                                X