Ever have a gun rust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever have a gun rust?

This past weekend my model 10 / 308 bull barrel got damp and ended up rusting towards the end of the barrel overnight while it was in my leather gun case.

I couldn't believe it happened so quickly. Wasn't sure what to do, so I brought it home and found this on YouTube. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrUIuzpjVV8"]Gun Trader's Trick To Remove Rust Safely, Quickly, and With No Chemicals! - YouTube[/ame]

Tried it and it worked great, much to my relief.

Yep been using 0000 steel wool and lots of oil for years

Comment

My Tikka’s I have got surface rust on Them pretty quick. I carry my .308 the most on public land and during the summer my hand rest on the barrel while I’m carrying it. That spot got even worse. I ended up getting it cerakoted at a local place and no more worries.

Comment

I had the misfortune of getting dust from a bag of triple 13 fertilizer on a ruger mk 2. I would clean the rust up, but it would come back. I was never able to stop it.

Comment

Originally posted by MajicBlade
          I couldn't believe it happened so quickly.
          With the firearms made cheaper nowadays the finish on alot of them are poor. Deep gloss blue used to be the standard and holds up well. The finish on some guns now seem to be spayed on and don't hold up. Keep them oiled and there shouldn't be a problem.

While stainless used in firearms is more resistant to corrosion/rust it still can. I had a Tikka out of the box with surface rust on it. Be aware that using regular steel wool on stainless steel can make it worse as it imbeds regular/CM steel into the stainless and will rust.

Comment

I can tell you how NOT to get rid of it. My shotgun had some surface rust on it as did the choke. I read vinegar would dissolve the rust. Dang sure did! Along with all the threading on the choke and matte finish on my barrel!

Comment

Small rust spots that aren't deep pitted can be removed with a lead pencil. Then rub briskly with a cleaning patch and some Shooter's Choice or other bore cleaner. Oil and wipe down.

Comment

Matte finishes are tricky, but on normal blue, the 0000 steel wool and oil is the trick.

Comment

So what happens if you use 000 steel wool?

I may have used that instead of 0000.

It got the rust off, And doesn’t appear to have damaged the finish, but I saw they recommended only 0000.

Comment

I bought a single shot 12ga.Years ago at Wal-Mart.Left it in the box on the backseat over night.The next morning it was ORANGE with rust!
                    We had a real heavy dew overnight.All I can figure that made it happen.Cleaned it up with Emory cloth,and rem oil.Took forever.It hasn't rusted since.But it still won't kick the empty hull out like it's supposed to.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                      Small rust spots that aren't deep pitted can be removed with a lead pencil. Then rub briskly with a cleaning patch and some Shooter's Choice or other bore cleaner. Oil and wipe down.
                      Good to know. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Flitz removes light rust very well and does not damage surface, hard to find now though.

Comment

Guns with lower quality finish tend to rust much quicker and easier when stored in a leather or canvas soft gun case. Both my Benelli's will rust every time I put them in a soft case, even only a few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                            So what happens if you use 000 steel wool?

I may have used that instead of 0000.

It got the rust off, And doesn’t appear to have damaged the finish, but I saw they recommended only 0000.
                            You just run a higher risk of getting more aggressive and removing the bluing that is UNDER the rust. The 0000 steel wool almost feels like a cotton ball. The goal is to remove the rust sitting on the surface. If you have “pitting” rust, you can remove it, but you’ll either damage the bluing, or it will have been damaged by the pitting rust.

Keep the surface VERY oily. I even use a paper towel/cloth, and wipe off the rust/oil “slurry” after a few passes with the steel wool, re-oil, then steel wool again, so I’m not scratching up the surface with the iron oxide (rust) particles I’ve removed.

Comment

Went on a late season duck hunt on a misty morning. Put my 835 ultimag in a zip up case under the back seat and completely forgot about it. A month later, It was rusted to the fabric of the case. Steel wool and oiled it up. Its ugly now but still works fine. The finish on my 870 is so bad. It rusts on just a humid day.

Comment

Working...
                              X