Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #1
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba
Default What percent of archery shots result in recovered animal?

This year we have lost 2 out of 11 deer shot. Of the 9 found 1 was pure luck it was found. At least 3 "sure shots" were for sure pushed and jumped.

Take your time after the shot no matter how great of a shot you think/know you made. Be quiet and if not a massive blood trail then back out. Doesn't hurt to wait!

And at least 2 shots ended up being near perfect and had zero blood trail. Both were pass through shots.

What are everyone else's shot/recovery rates this year?
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #2
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

I've never failed to recover an animal i have shot with my bow.... I found all three of them

EDIT: Insufficient sample size, I know. Joking
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

I think if the honest results were actually published the old Texas Trophy Hunters cartoon may not get scoffed at as much.
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Anderson County, Montgomery County, Rusk County, Polk County, and Throckmorton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
I think if the honest results were actually published the old Texas Trophy Hunters cartoon may not get scoffed at as much.
Wait... Do you mean that every deer killed, whether found or not, aren't posted to social media? Isn't there some kind of internet rule about that?
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #5
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton/Val Verde/Edwards

I’m at 100%. I’ve lost 0 of the 0 deer I have shot so far.
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
redfishted
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Iowa

Would be interesting to know the percentage of archery recoveries as related to percentage of rifle recoveries.
redfishted is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

I know Oklahome did a study on one of their WMA's several years ago using collared deer. The wounding rate was 50% but only about 20% of the wounded animals actually died. I think it may have been traditional equipment only also. Been a long time since I read the paper.
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #8
BowOnly81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF and Trinity Co.

Not bragging at all, and knock on wood it continues, but around 30 for 30 (including exotics) for me so far. I would guess the actual number is around 90-95%?
BowOnly81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
ATXArcher
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burnet

I believe we shot 5 deer last year on our place. 4 were recovered right away. One showed back up alive and well and was arrowed again a few weeks later. Over the years I would say we are running at about 80%.
ATXArcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #10
EastTexasMan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas - Pop Up blind

we're 0 for 1 on our place.

We don't have a lot of deer though so if we stick 2 in a year we had a hella year lol
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #11
TXhoghunter94
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Jacinto, Fayette, Leon, Real county TX

We are 9/9 so far but one of the does we didn't find until the next day, she only went 100 yards but no blood.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
TXhoghunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #12
TENRMORE
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere

We are about like you, We have shot 16 and found 14. We jumped one, the shot looked perfect right behind the shoulder as it ran off, the other one, no blood other than on the arrow.
TENRMORE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #13
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

I always wait 30 minutes before I get out of my stand, unless I see them DRT and shaking. I've lost some hogs but I really didn't look that hard for them.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #14
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mcmullen County

If your recovery rate is low, I suggest practicing. You owe it to the animals you are hunting to make the most ethical and lethal shot possible. I know it happens, but if it happens often for you, you're in the wrong game.
ACCURACYINC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #15
cgny27
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

this season, 0-1 (still hurts)….last hunting season out in lake Brownwood 2-2...maybe it's the local...I miss that area!!!!
cgny27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 10:00 AM   #16
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishted View Post
Would be interesting to know the percentage of archery recoveries as related to percentage of rifle recoveries.
From my experience it's about the same. People with bows practice WAY more (usually). Guys with rifles tend to be over confident.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #17
ateague11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare, TX

my guess is that the average would be about 15-20% lost
ateague11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #18
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
If your recovery rate is low, I suggest practicing. You owe it to the animals you are hunting to make the most ethical and lethal shot possible. I know it happens, but if it happens often for you, you're in the wrong game.
This!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #19
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mcmullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
From my experience it's about the same. People with bows practice WAY more (usually). Guys with rifles tend to be over confident.
From my experience, it's overconfidence. Trying to make a perfect heart shot...the lungs are a tad larger... CENTER MASS!
ACCURACYINC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #20
Chad C
Pope & Young

In my 30 years of bowhunting, I've lost more shot with a rifle than bow. Albeit it one and it was rushed and I never should have taken the shot.
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 10:13 AM   #21
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Was in the blind two nights ago with my 4 year old and my wife. She had her bow and was trying to get one of the 15+ does we have coming in regular. 15 minutes in the stand and they came in. Easy shot, 20 yards broadside. Doe lunged forward at shot and arrow hit gut, exited liver. My wife is an awesome shot with her bow regularly practicing out to 40 yards. Its just one of those things that happens.
Doe did three large circles slowing down each time with gut hanging out both entry and exit then crashed in a yaopon before taking off again. never found her even with a dog. she made it to a neighbor who will not give us permission to track on that side the fence.

So far this year, she is 0-1 and i have not released an arrow yet.
bloodstick is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #22
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

My guess is it's lower than that I'd bet recovery is 60-65%. Before I grew up I pushed a lot of "dead" deer and lost them. I am now a shoot and wait guy. I am sure Tim will back this up!
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #23
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

I have said it for years..
I would hate to be a deer during archery season..
To many yahoo's hunting with archery equipment, or any equipment for that matter, that refuse to put in the time and effort it takes learn their equipment, what it takes to be effective and efficient at killing with their chosen equipment.. There is a whole more that is required to be efficient at killing than some realize....
Example: We should NEVER, ok rarely, see a post describing "lack of penetration"!!! I know it happens frequently on "hunting shows" but honestly it should rarely be a issue with today's technology in bows and broadheads.. There is entirely to many hunters that are choosing speed over Kenetic energy for a flatter flight path as to help with them compensate for lack of practice and their lack of ability to judge distance.. Kinetic energy is second in importance only behind accuracy.. It's obvious that many do not get this..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #24
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Iím in the 90% or more range for my archery career. Iíve only lost one doe over the years.

And to the rifle shooter questions... Iíve never lost a rifle shot animal. Iím not bragging by any means because it will probably happen this year if I was but I also donít take many (like 3 maybe ever) shoulder/body shots. If I pull out the rifle to hunt, itís for meat purposes and I prefer the bang flop method.

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #25
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
Yes practice and learn your equipment or quit. Bowhunting is not for everyone.. Also learn the skeletal structure and where the vitals lie on any animal you are hunting.. They are not all made alike. Especially African animals.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #26
EastTexasMan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas - Pop Up blind

Geez guys, if everyone would just use the "slash" arrows, or something similar, we'd all have 100% recovery
Attached Images

EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #27
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Personally, between four or five antelope, a dozen or so whitetails, and a few hogs, Iíve lost two whitetail does. One hit (I donít have a clue where) in muscle judging by the arrow and lack of any bloodtrail. One gut shot (saw the arrow after the shot) because I hit the wire on the feeder pen. I learned two lessons there. Never shoot at a deer thatís looking at you and never shoot through the cattle panels. Ive lost a couple hogs but I donít count them simply because to me theyíre vermin. I donít bow hunt them, only take a shot if they show while Iím deer hunting. They screw up too many expensive arrows !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #28
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

In the 7 years we owned our hunting ranch we found 99% of the exotic deer anf 70% of the hogs using a dog.
We needed the dog on 40% of the deer and 50% of the hogs. There was no real difference between gun or bows.
Folks really seem to struggle with shooting too far back to the point when someone said they hit it "right behind the shoulder" I carried the dog and tracking gear when I went to pick them up.
Name:  285.JPG
Views: 1040
Size:  145.1 KB
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #29
breederbuck33
Ten Point

So many variables in this I bet. There are a lot of people who pull their bow out of the case to hunt and never practice. There are also a lot of knuckle heads that go buy a bow at academy and take it hunting the next day. There are also guys who practice religiously, and have very good luck. I bet the recovery rate fore experienced bowhunters who practice regularly and take it seriously is 90%.
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #30
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

I am around 90% recovery on WT and that is with a rough start my first few years losing a few. I have recovered 12 of the last 13. I did however lose 2 impala’s earlier this year in Africa so even with tons of practice and confidence it happens. My average on pigs is probably 70% mainly because I don’t look as hard if I don’t plan on cleaning. Patience and good tracking skills make a huge difference.
TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #31
friscopaint
Ten Point

I'm in the 90% on whitetail, 50% on elk but that was my fault for going in to soon after the shot and bumping up the bedded bull 50 yds from where I shot. I knew it was a good shot with bloody arrow but not heart or double lung my opinion was lung and liver and of course afterwards reading on elk wait 6 hrs......they have alot of blood.....
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #32
friscopaint
Ten Point

Big advantage I've had on whitetail is being elevated, and fairly open to either watch them drop or know exactly where to go look.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #33
friscopaint
Ten Point

I actually lost more when I rifle hunted, much longer shots and reading all the articles I went heart lungs but once I started front shoulder never lost one dropped right there.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #34
Rwc
Pope & Young

This post has me thinking about my personal rate of recovery of arrowed animals over the last 40 years of bow hunting. I wished now that I would have kept a journal with a running record of this very topic.

Three whitetail non-recovered stand out, none more than my last years Mexico bruiser, then the one before that was 2011's (Accepting the bad days as I do the good days - Part 2 thread) that I ended up stumbling across 2 months later.

But Buff's above post puts a little different twist to it. Out of all my kills, how many did I have to turn Buzz loose on to help me locate? And if I would not have had Buzz, would I have eventually found those? I do believe with more and more tracking dogs out there and handlers willing to offer a their service's, the percentage of not recovering a wounded animal has dropped......

All I know is when I don't recover an animal that I get an arrow in, it really sticks with me hard!

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #35
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

In Colorado with elk I would guess and say well over 50% of the time the shot was bad and either results in a lost animal or additional shots.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #36
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I only remember losing one. A doe I had a complete pass through on several years ago. Shot looked perfect to me. Arrow was covered in blood, but only found a few drops on the ground. I've killed about 48 with my bow that have all been recovered. I guess I'm at 98%.

I've lost 3 with a rifle over the years
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #37
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

When I started hunting in 1980 the success rate for archery was about 10%. Today with the new bows, arrows & broadheads I would guess the success rate is close to 70%. Way more information for the new hunters to glean knowledge from as opposed to the old trial by fire approach we used in the old days. Still there is no better way to improve your success rate than practice, practice, practice. Most hunters that wound game consistently take marginal shoots and get gassed up before releasing the arrow.
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #38
ctom87
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
To many yahoo's hunting with archery equipment, or any equipment for that matter, that refuse to put in the time and effort it takes learn their equipment, what it takes to be effective and efficient at killing with their chosen equipment.. There is a whole more that is required to be efficient at killing than some realize....
Example: We should NEVER, ok rarely, see a post describing "lack of penetration"!!! I know it happens frequently on "hunting shows" but honestly it should rarely be a issue with today's technology in bows and broadheads.. There is entirely to many hunters that are choosing speed over Kenetic energy for a flatter flight path as to help with them compensate for lack of practice and their lack of ability to judge distance.. Kinetic energy is second in importance only behind accuracy.. It's obvious that many do not get this..
Hi - just curious - what is your recommendation on how many joules of KE you think is appropriate? I'm new to archery and just figured my J is = to 109, if I did the math correctly. Arrows are 8.6 GPI at 29.5", plus a 100g broadhead = 353.7 g, and my bow is rated at 340 fps, but I took it down to 320 since I'm 28.5" draw at 70#. Thoughts?
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #39
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Anderson County, Montgomery County, Rusk County, Polk County, and Throckmorton County

I've been hunting dang near all my life but have only been a bowhunter for 15 years. I've killed countless deer with a rifle and never lost one but have only taken 8 deer with my bow. I consider myself very accurate with my bow out to 40-50 yds. With that said, I have lost two deer in my 15 years of bowhunting. The first was a doe at 46 yds during the very first season with my bow. I had been practicing religiously and made a great shot on the doe. I learned a huge lesson on patience that season. She dropped only a few yards from the shot and I didn't see her moving so I climbed down after only a few minutes only to jump her up. Lost blood after 100 yds and looked for hours without success. The second one was last year when I took a quartered to shot that I knew I shouldn't take. It would have been my biggest buck ever taken with a gun or bow and I let my excitement cause me to make a bad decision. The hit was high and the buck survived and was shot on youth weekend on another property. I don't think I've ever lost a hog that I tried to find. I'm also curious what the actual percentage is on whitetail deer. I also wonder how many hunters make a bad shot and then never tell anybody.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #40
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctom87 View Post
Hi - just curious - what is your recommendation on how many joules of KE you think is appropriate? I'm new to archery and just figured my J is = to 109, if I did the math correctly. Arrows are 8.6 GPI at 29.5", plus a 100g broadhead = 353.7 g, and my bow is rated at 340 fps, but I took it down to 320 since I'm 28.5" draw at 70#. Thoughts?
I don't use any formula or fancy calculation I just use common sense and experience and I'm not to worried about FPS either as I keep my shots to 35 yards and under.
I've never, in 40 years of bowhunting, shot a bow through a chrono.
When your arrow in sticking in the ground or lost in the brush because it blew through your target animal you are good...
I shoot 72lbs, 31.5 draw, arrow is 30.5" long @10.9 grains per inch, and 125 head.. 457gr. total weight.. Expandable or fixed blade,it doesn't matter, it blows through.. Even the upper shoulder blades.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:39 PM   #41
Browning270
Spike

Hunt In: Frio,Zavala

I picked up a bow for the first time in May of 2018. Nobody in my family or many of my friends hunt with a bow so it has been a big learning curve for me and have learned a lot from my mistakes. I felt adequate to go hunt last fall if my shots were kept in my comfort zone under 30yds. I ended up recovering 4/4 deer I shot, 3 does and a buck. The buck I feel especially lucky to find. I was at full draw for too long and my buck fever was through the roof. As soon as I let the arrow out..."****"....I hit it way further back that I would ever want to. I gave it 2 plus hours and my brother and I began trailing and ended up finding him after 500 yards of a decent blood trail. I know bad things can happen from a great shot so I count myself lucky to find him.

I have shot a lot of deer with a rifle and lost a few, mostly to my early years of hunting with a smaller caliber. But the bottom line is it happens at times to the best of hunters. All we can do is practice and be in tune with your equipment to give an animal a clean kill and yourself the best chance of recovery.

Enjoyed reading posts from long time bow hunters as I just have a small sample to share.
Browning270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #42
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning270 View Post
I picked up a bow for the first time in May of 2018. Nobody in my family or many of my friends hunt with a bow so it has been a big learning curve for me and have learned a lot from my mistakes. I felt adequate to go hunt last fall if my shots were kept in my comfort zone under 30yds. I ended up recovering 4/4 deer I shot, 3 does and a buck. The buck I feel especially lucky to find. I was at full draw for too long and my buck fever was through the roof. As soon as I let the arrow out..."****"....I hit it way further back that I would ever want to. I gave it 2 plus hours and my brother and I began trailing and ended up finding him after 500 yards of a decent blood trail. I know bad things can happen from a great shot so I count myself lucky to find him.

I have shot a lot of deer with a rifle and lost a few, mostly to my early years of hunting with a smaller caliber. But the bottom line is it happens at times to the best of hunters. All we can do is practice and be in tune with your equipment to give an animal a clean kill and yourself the best chance of recovery.

Enjoyed reading posts from long time bow hunters as I just have a small sample to share.

30 yards in under is a very wise choice.. 4 for 4...
Old 10-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #43
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Missing from a tree or ground blind that is most likely setup 20-30 yards from a feeder is a little silly. Missing is inevitable but that is as close as you can get to a perfect storm.

Missing a mule deer at 70 yards in high winds, off your knees, is easily explainable.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 01:50 PM   #44
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

I back strapped a doe a few years ago . It was my first time hunting out of a tree stand and I dropped my bow arm instead of bending at the waist. I lost a axis doe a couple years ago on a day lease she was looking at me when I shot and I hit her in the shoulder. Arrow passex through but she was almost facing away from me when it hit. The land owner dumped the dog on her 10 min after the shot and jumped her twice.. I always feel bad about losing an animal or if it takes one awhile to die..
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #45
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypo View Post
Missing from a tree or ground blind that is most likely setup 20-30 yards from a feeder is a little silly. Missing is inevitable but that is as close as you can get to a perfect storm.

Missing a mule deer at 70 yards in high winds, off your knees, is easily explainable.
When I first started bowhunting I was shaking so hard I thought I was gonna drop my bow so no it's not silly missing
Old 10-18-2019, 01:59 PM   #46
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypo View Post

Taking a 70 yard shot in high winds at any animal is as about as ignorant, irresponsible and unethical as it gets as a bow hunter..
Old 10-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #47
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

I am probably saying too much but I believe in some of what is posted above and strongly disagree with other points made. I am a bowhunter. I practice hard and I hunt hard. I have lost 4 whitetails out of about 25-30 that I have shot with a bow. Most of these when I was starting and less patient. I have learned and grown from those sleepless nights. I will say that even when well prepared....Murphy happens and deer move.

I now wait 30 minutes unless I see the animal fall. If I hear of see anything out of the ordinary at the shot I wait an hour. If an animal is shot and then jumped still alive my personal rule is three hours.

I recently helped track a deer that was jumped after the shot. We recovered him after being jumped and his eyes were still clear and bright. I honestly don't think he had been dead 15-20 minutes. When spending the kind of money we do to chase whitetails not waiting can get real expensive.

I have also gotten much better at tracking deer. Slow and steady.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #48
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Quote:
Taking a 70 yard shot in high winds at any animal is as about as ignorant, irresponsible and unethical as it gets as a bow hunter..
No doubt. Stuff happens at 15 yards. I've been bow hunting sense I was 10 years old, so I've made my share of mistakes. Most of them were in those first few years though. I can remember loosing 2 deer in the last 12 or 13 years. One of them appeared to be a great shot on a doe, and we just had no blood. Shot was on video, and that was the last deer I shot with a Montec. Then the second one was a nice buck I rushed the shot on. It was a cloudy morning, and took forever to get daylight. I turned my pin light on and tried the shot. I think the shot was a hair forward, so I let him lay a couple hours. Well on the way out there it started raining, and by the time we realized we had a problem it was too late. Called the dog, and the rain had him all confused. The neighbors found the deer a couple hundred yards from where we lost blood a few years later. He did a circle and went back the way he came and walked uphill down the fence line. Other than that I've been very fortunate, and prepared. I do also wonder how many rifle hunters think they miss because their deer runs off, and never even look...
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #49
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Kinetic energy is based on speed. The term you're looking for is momentum.
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2019, 03:11 PM   #50
44mAG
Ten Point

Experience matters. I recovered only 1 of the first 5 deer I ever shot at with my bow (1 was a clean miss). This was over about a 7 year stretch. I honestly almost gave up bow hunting because I had previously killed around 40 deer with a rifle without wounding a single one. I have so much respect for the deer I am hunting, that I wanted to give up.

From that point, I decided that for me to release an arrow at a deer, EVERYTHING had to be perfect. Deer posture, distance, confidence in bow setup, etc. I will not take a shot at a deer if he is further than 20 yds out (preferably 18 yds), deer has to be perfectly broad side without a leg in the way.

Since making these personal rules, I am 6 for my last 7 (I took a hard quartering away shot, which was a no-no for me, on the 1 wounded deer, puncturing one lung, but he survived).

Having wounded all of those deer has actually has made bow hunting more enjoyable for me. I used to get way stressed and ****** off when I would see a buck but didn't get a shot off. I now enjoy watching them walk away un-wounded knowing that I didn't take a shot where something could have gone wrong.
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top