Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
ptaylortx
Four Point

Hunt In: Newton County, Houston County, Angelina County and South Texas
Default Letting deer walk

I hunt in Southeast Texas and my club is made up of mostly management minded members that want to shoot mature bucks. The few that like to shoot anything that moves just happen to hunt adjacent to me.

Over the years I've let numerous young deer with potential walk only to have them ease 1000 yards north or south and get blasted. I've got this buck on camera and would love to see him grow another year or two.

I know his range falls into the area where the master blasters hunt and they have him on camera as well with full intentions of killing the hell out of him. Would you go ahead and take him given the opportunity? I really wouldn't mind getting him with my longbow or having my wife take him knowing he probably won't make it through season. But, I always remind myself I'll never shoot a 140 by shooting 110" deer. Would you gamble on him making it?
Attached Images

ptaylortx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Yes because I also hunt small acreage and know this size deer is very common.

Seems you say can't shoot a 140 if you shoot a 110.... but your comments seem to me your the 110 kinda guy
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
Stuck
Ten Point

If you shoot him, you know he wonít make it till next year. And if you shoot him because the neighbors will, you are that neighbor. Itís just like you said, you canít shoot big deer if you keep shooting small ones.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck View Post
If you shoot him, you know he wonít make it till next year. And if you shoot him because the neighbors will, you are that neighbor. Itís just like you said, you canít shoot big deer if you keep shooting small ones.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
chris1911
Ten Point

you know he wont make it through the year here in ET... would be a great longbow buck or wife/kid deer.
chris1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #6
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Anderson County, Montgomery County, Rusk County, Polk County, and Throckmorton County

I have the same issue on the small East Tx property that I hunt. I have struggled in the past with the same decision and this is what I've determined... The guys across the fence MIGHT kill that deer if I let it walk, but if I kill it, it definitely isn't getting older and bigger. I don't let the hunter across the fence determine which buck I will go after. It's a shame when it happens but it's just part of hunting low fence on small properties. I have no control over what a hunter kills next door when it's done legally. Not everyone has the same mindset on what to kill and never will.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Shoot what you want and never second guess letting a buck walk. Shoot him if it means something to you......if it doesnt let it walk and see what happens.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #8
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Yeah it’s hard to swallow neighbors just shooting a decent deer just because they think the neighbors will . If everyone would just realize hey if we let these deer grow to at least 5.5 everyone would have a decent chance to shoot a 140” buck . To bad folks don’t get that.
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #9
6.5CM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

I wish I could let bucks walk. the problem is if I did the other hunters would shoot him or the neighboring LF leases would also.
6.5CM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #10
ethic1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5CM View Post
I wish I could let bucks walk. the problem is if I did the other hunters would shoot him or the neighboring LF leases would also.

You didnít read any comments did you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #11
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
Shoot what you want and never second guess letting a buck walk. Shoot him if it means something to you......if it doesnt let it walk and see what happens.
This right here!

Too many folks get caught up in inches, just do what you think is right.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 02:06 PM   #12
ptaylortx
Four Point

I haven't killed a mature buck in 4 years. I've passed on these type deer every year. It's aggravating trying to manage East Texas properties for trophy bucks.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #13
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

Your paying money to harvest deer so shoot him.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #14
Stuck
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
Your paying money to harvest deer so shoot him.
Thatís not what he said he wants to do. He said he wants to kill a 140, that deer is not a 140. I donít care if he shoots that one and the rest of his family shoots 3 more just like it, but good luck next year on that 140.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #15
Stuck
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaylortx View Post
I haven't killed a mature buck in 4 years. I've passed on these type deer every year. It's aggravating trying to manage East Texas properties for trophy bucks.
Would shooting the deer make you happy? Would he be mounted on the wall to look at and remember for years? If itís just to shoot, does and spikes taste the same.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:18 PM   #16
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5CM View Post
You can't?
Old 10-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #17
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

If you want him, shoot him. If you want him to get bigger, let him walk. You are accountable to you. Your neighbors are not.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #18
RaginCagin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaylortx View Post
Maybe its time to realize it's just not feasible to produce numerous mature bucks in that area with your surrounding neighbors and it's time to accept the property for what it is. Management is great but you do need like minded folks around you to see good results. If they are blasting away everything that moves then maybe shooting the buck you posted is a nice accomplishment in that area given the circumstances.
RaginCagin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #19
ptaylortx
Four Point

This property has produced several 140-150 deer in the 10 years I've been on it. I don't mind shooting a 110" buck if he's mature and never going to make a top notch buck.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #20
ethic1
Eight Point

How big is the place? Is the manager management minded? Sounds like you need to find like minded members.

Old 10-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #21
Passthrough
Pope & Young

If you shoot him....he’s definitely not getting any bigger! Pass him and hope for the best. However,if you would be happy with him. Then by all means take him.
Passthrough is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 02:42 PM   #22
bollomb
Ten Point

Hunt In: Trinity

Over the years of hunting small east tx properties I have found that either my neighbors hunt less than I think or don't shoot much as most of my bucks make it. Some are destined to get shot, but i think some of the warier bucks may only be seen by you that one time in daylight hours. I too used to think as soon as the jumped the fence they were goners but I have came around.
bollomb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 02:46 PM   #23
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
If you shoot him, you know he won’t make it till next year. And if you shoot him because the neighbors will, you are that neighbor. It’s just like you said, you can’t shoot big deer if you keep shooting small ones.

Well said.

Don't be that neighbor. They may be shooting everything because you won't let them grow to 140".

If you want a 140 then wait for one.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #24
docmay
Pope & Young

If you shoot him this year he for sure won’t get bigger. If you don’t, he has a chance. That’s how you roll the dice with low fence. My lease is low fence mason county. I let lots of bucks walk. We have some neighbors who like to shoot. You just have to accept you will lose a few and make your property as attractive as it can be for the few. On my lease we do pretty well but ours is mld and well managed. The problem is when the rut hits our bucks go look for the abundance of does on the neighbors place. Then they get shot!
docmay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 02:48 PM   #25
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County

It's do-able.
Takes work and communication.

taking some time in the off season and meeting your neighbors and talking to them about management is a good start. If several adjacent properties all work towards the goal of growing older deer, and collectively let young ones walk, then it's very possible.

My buddy has small acreage in Comal County...it USED to have that same mentality of "if it's brown it's down", but they've been feeding year round, protein, etc and even though the neighbors still shoot whatever and some of his big 10's that are 3.4-4.5, they still harvent old, mature bucks off his place (family only).

Just make the choice to let the young ones walk and stick with it. Old deer get old for a reason and it's not by going into heavily hunted areas.

Make your place a sanctuary and then give it several years...4-5 minimum.
BuckySWT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #26
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

A lot of leases allow family members and guests to shoot off the paying members quota. If these folks only hunt once or twice a year they normally take the first legal deer they see.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #27
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico - Shackelford - Callahan

I'd be on the side of finding a place where I could let deer walk, with a reasonable chance of that deer living through the season.

You're swimming upriver if you want big deer, but are on a lease with people that don't share your goals..
walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #28
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Are you going to mount him ?
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 03:11 PM   #29
Dillakilla
Eight Point

Hunt In: Comanche County

Quote:
Would shooting the deer make you happy? Would he be mounted on the wall to look at and remember for years? If itís just to shoot, does and spikes taste the same.
Perfectly said.
Dillakilla is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #30
FamousAmos
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason and Menard

Quote:
^^^^^ this ^^^^^
FamousAmos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 03:45 PM   #31
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
Are you going to mount him ?
Just shoot what is a trophy TO YOU.... You are the only one that matters.

I love it when someone shoots even a small buck on my place when they're excited.

Do not shoot it if you won't be proud of it. I think most young guys eventually learn this.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #32
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

I have been on the same place for 30 years. Probably only killed 30 bucks all hunters combined and it is still a rare occasion when I see a 135 or better. You shoot him with a trad bow or see the smile on your wife's face then it's all good
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #33
Bish
Ten Point

I've never been able to eat horns, I hunt to put meat in freezer, if it happens to have a nice rack so be it, but to each his own, good hunting.

God Bless
Bish
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #34
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
Yep!

If it blows your skirt up shoot it. You know

I ve gotten to where it has to be certain brow tines, g tine length or I'm gonna just watch. Not that mad at em anymore. Prolly not a deer on our place that will meet my expectations.

Plenty of fun just being out there now a days.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 04:17 PM   #35
ethic1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
I've never been able to eat horns, I hunt to put meat in freezer, if it happens to have a nice rack so be it, but to each his own, good hunting.

God Bless
Bish

Doe meat taste better.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #36
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

We have one really good neighbor, and one that's going to shoot what they want. It's a gamble but we've let several walk that we got burned on, but also several that made it through. Good luck with your decision.
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #37
Arrowflinger84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Spikezilla

This happened to our group as well. I had several deer under my stand during archery season and let them walk because they need another year of growth. Then go down to the local feed store to see that our neighbor shot it opening rifle season. Low fence is free game and it can be frustrating.
Arrowflinger84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #38
Pauly G
Four Point

Hunt In: Votaw, Tx

I would let him walk
Pauly G is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 05:39 PM   #39
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX

It's hunting and everyone has a different view on it. Some shoot for inches, some just for antlers, and some for meat. If it makes you happy then shoot it, but if it's gonna cause you regret or stress or disappointment in any way then DON'T.... Life is too short and hunting is too much fun (should be) to let stress take part in it.
If the neighbor gets him then oh well...on to the next one. Just part of this game we play.
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 05:43 PM   #40
Huntingfool
Eight Point

For me it boils down to a person's initial choice of the type of lease they choose to hunt on.

IF you are mainly wanting to hunt in a laid back atmosphere, get some meat, and let everyone shoot what they want then join a lease that is in an area and set up to operate in that manner. My Dad always told me "if you want to kill a big deer you have to hunt where their are big deer" - same with fishing or anything else.

If you are a trophy hunter and enjoy trying to manage and grow old trophies then join a lease that is set up like that in an area that has big deer.

The issues always arise when someone chooses a lease that is contrary to how they really want to hunt.

Last edited by Huntingfool; 10-16-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 05:47 PM   #41
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingfool View Post
For me it boils down to a person's initial choice of the type of lease they choose to hunt on.

IF you are mainly wanting to hunt in a laid back atmosphere, get some meat, and let everyone shoot what they want then join a lease that is in an area and set up to operate in that manner. My Dad always told me "if you want to kill a big deer you have to hunt where their are big deer" - same with fishing or anything else.

If you are a trophy hunter and enjoy trying to manage and grow old trophies then join a lease that is set up like that in an area that has big deer.

The issues always arise when someone chooses a lease that is contrary to how they really want to hunt.

That was well said....

TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 05:51 PM   #42
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingfool View Post

Every body wants to shoot a big deer seems like but most donít have the patience are will power to wait them out . They all say yeah all I want to shoot is a trophy 5.5 year old are older but come back to camp with a 3.5 are 4.5 year old decent buck each his own I guess. But to grow your potential of your area you have to feed and let them get of age thatís the bottom line .
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #43
JeffK
Ten Point

I get the point and personally I’m not shooting a deer because I’m worried the neighbors will get it. They have to be mature.

However. That’s not the best pics to judge by but that deer doesn’t look all that young. The likelihood of a 5 year old scoring 110 (prob 115) getting to 140 is pretty slim.

Last edited by JeffK; 10-16-2019 at 05:55 PM.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #44
6.5CM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Just shoot what is a trophy TO YOU.... You are the only one that matters.

I love it when someone shoots even a small buck on my place when they're excited.

Do not shoot it if you won't be proud of it. I think most young guys eventually learn this.
Yep everyone has their own idea what a trophy is. Shoot was makes you happy as long as itís legal
6.5CM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top