Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 09-29-2019, 11:30 PM   #1
ctom87
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan County
Default How to field score

I thought about posting a pic of a buck and asking for scores, but I think my expectations would be off compared to what yall think.

Instead, I would like to ask when yall score a buck based on a picture posted, how do you do it? I would be really interested. I think the buck I have is 4.5 yr old and would score around 150. I would like to know how you score a buck and after learning what you do, see if this changes my guess.

FYI, I am new to hunting and scoring, this is why I think on this particular buck I think I ma over estimating.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2019, 11:36 PM   #2
ctom87
Eight Point

I should preface by saying that I saw a cheat where you start with a baseline 100 and count the inches on 1 side if it's a typical buck. Double that +100 should give you a score. I think the +100 part is off.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:23 AM   #3
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

The thing is you need to see a lot of horns to be in the ball park of scoring off of pictures are even on the hoof . Watch videos of people scoring deer on the hoof score them yourself and see how close you are ? You learn after scoring a few that there usually is a average on horns as far as mass , beams and tines look at alert deers ears and on average a deers ears from tip to tip in a alert position is around 16” that helps you get your spread . So in short start your scoring on a average of a basic whitetail buck . Which is usually 15” spread 28” mass 21” beams and on a 10 point about 44 “ of tine length and you can go up from there are down on some cases .
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 12:25 AM   #4
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Just post the picture of the buck if he is close to 150 you will know pretty fast just by 5r 6 guys telling you what they think he scores .
Old 09-30-2019, 12:44 AM   #5
djs303
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

The way I do it, I have gotten measurements from a lot of bucks from the area that I hunt. I took the spread, mass and beam length measurements and did an average and added these together. In my area, the average is 85 inches. When I see a buck or get a pic game cam I estimate, on the conservative side, the tine lengths and add all of these tines lengths together. Then I take that number and add 85 inches to come up with my field score estimate. So if I have a buck with 50 inches of total tines, I would estimate him at 135. This works pretty good for me and can be done pretty quick in the field. I am usually within a few inches when they are actually measured.
djs303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 05:45 AM   #6
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb/Jim Hogg

I basically take half the score sheet, guess the lengths, add it all up in my head and multiply X 2 plus spread guesstimate. This will get you relatively close unless he's grossly non typical.
Attached Images

Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
kc5rkg
Eight Point

Hunt In: South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs303 View Post
The way I do it, I have gotten measurements from a lot of bucks from the area that I hunt. I took the spread, mass and beam length measurements and did an average and added these together. In my area, the average is 85 inches. When I see a buck or get a pic game cam I estimate, on the conservative side, the tine lengths and add all of these tines lengths together. Then I take that number and add 85 inches to come up with my field score estimate. So if I have a buck with 50 inches of total tines, I would estimate him at 135. This works pretty good for me and can be done pretty quick in the field. I am usually within a few inches when they are actually measured.
I basically do this as well. Assume 85-90 inches for mass, spread, and beams. Then just add tine length. I'm certainly no expert, but it gets me pretty close.
kc5rkg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 07:16 PM   #8
Chuckfu
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Hebbronville

I always use previous deer killed as references.
Having deer to reference from our ranch both high and low makes it easy to throw them in a class for me.
Chuckfu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 06:24 PM   #9
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Good question. Two ways to do it IMO. First is to do actual mental measurements. I have a hunting buddy who does it that way.

I on the other hand have hunted for 60 years and much of it in South Texas. I have seen hundreds of thousands of trail camera pictures over the years not to mention live in the field. My scoring is purely by feel - I look at a buck and do not do any adding - I simply have seen so many deer over the years I can usually get pretty close to their score (usually within 5 inches of what the buck ends up scoring)

I also learned that still trail camera pics can be deceiving - need to see multiple angles and/or video -
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 09:56 PM   #10
AntlersBoy
Four Point

Hunt In: Push Co

I use ears, where I hunt a mature deer has a 7 long ear and just shy of a 7 circumference. And for the most part pointy eared soft deer have 17/17.5 tip to tip. The old round eared bruisers are close to 16 tip to tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AntlersBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #11
AntlersBoy
Four Point

Name:  IMG_1808.JPG
Views: 570
Size:  95.5 KB
Prime example, trail cams make this deer look like a freak! But if you use this deers ears as a base line hes on the lower to mid side of 170s

Old 10-07-2019, 11:29 PM   #12
cstephenson44
Spike

I like to Reference 8 points which i know the score of. From there I’ll adjust based off the different characteristics and add in any extra tines. This has become a very accurate and quick way for me to judge over the years. Makes it very easy to judge 9 and 10 pts as your typically just adding 10-15 inches based off his the G4’s
cstephenson44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #13
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlersBoy View Post
Attachment 975393
Prime example, trail cams make this deer look like a freak! But if you use this deers ears as a base line hes on the lower to mid side of 170s

Picture of a picture are not accurate ways to score a deer. That deer is not near that big but bc the camera is tilted it elongates his rack and pulls it way out of proportion.

Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #14
Tshelly
Ten Point

Default How to field score

I use from the tip of the nose to tip of the eye.. 7.5s

They say the circumference of a mature bucks eye is around 5. So Ill use that as reference to the deers mass. I use 5.5s for ear length.

Beams are tricky. If they lay out of his immediately they are much shorter than they look. Most long beamed bucks come up then out.

Mass is never as much as you think. A buck with good mass is around 14 per side.. so 28 total. The buck needs to look massive to be above 30s total mass.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:31 AM   #15
Tshelly
Ten Point

OP post a trail cam pic. I bet we can get pretty close. The best way to score deer is practice. When people post deer up, tru and use all the tools to guess. Then check back in when the deer is killed.

Its natural in the beginning to over score deer. Dont get discouraged.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #16
JeffK
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshelly View Post
I use from the tip of the nose to tip of the eye.. 7.5s

They say the circumference of a mature bucks eye is around 5. So Ill use that as reference to the deers mass. I use 5.5s for ear length.

Beams are tricky. If they lay out of his immediately they are much shorter than they look. Most long beamed bucks come up then out.

Mass is never as much as you think. A buck with good mass is around 14 per side.. so 28 total. The buck needs to look massive to be above 30s total mass.

Basically what I do. I use 9.5" from tip of nose to antler base and 5" between outside of eyes as a scale. For mass and beam length, I use what is typical for that area for a deer of that age.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #17
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

For a quick score calculation, I use 90 (rather than 100) plus the length of the up points.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #18
Dugie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ireland, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
For a quick score calculation, I use 90 (rather than 100) plus the length of the up points.
I do something like this, except make exception for really wide or heavy mass....and then classify 85, 90, 95, 100 as a down score...then I add up the tines on the shortest side and double...pretty easy to get within 2 to 3 inches of the net score this way and it's fast, not hard to judge on the hoof when you have done it a few times.
Dugie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #19
DOUBLE-Z
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wheeler & Hemphill

I noticed some of y’all talking about computer pics... this is why I can’t trust them.
Pretty much ever.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...Trail+trickery
DOUBLE-Z is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #20
DOUBLE-Z
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wheeler & Hemphill

Quote:
Picture of a picture are not accurate ways to score a deer. That deer is not near that big but bc the camera is tilted it elongates his rack and pulls it way out of proportion.

Exactly!
DOUBLE-Z is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #21
AntlersBoy
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE-Z View Post
Exactly!

Ya.....? Pretty much exactly what I was saying. I think post started with this is prime example. All you need is a reference all this pic of pic or computer angles is silly. A pic of a pic is a 2D image not much you can do to that. Like the thread though always interesting to see how different people age deer

Old 10-08-2019, 09:02 PM   #22
AntlersBoy
Four Point

Score, sorry not age

Old 10-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #23
toledo
Eight Point

Hunt In: the road by your lease

I compare them to other deer that I first studied on trail cams and then later scored in person. Having some hanging in the room to look at and add and subtract from helps too. Ive only been at this for about 4 years but usually surprise myself how close I am.

Another thing you can do is get your answer before reading anyone else responses then compare.
toledo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #24
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico - Shackelford - Callahan

I'll play this game.
I can make a 140'' (a deer I know well) look like a 170''.
Zoom in and tilt the camera phone. I bet a lot of guys use this trick when filling leases - especially some of those Craigslist adds I've seen posted.

To the OP's scoring question - I use a baseline "down" score for the average deer on our place - then just add up the tines. Big framed deer, extra wide, or crazy mass - I might throw on an extra 5-10''s...
Attached Images

walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 06:51 PM   #25
Huntingfool
Eight Point

again - adding up the inches is one way -

on the other hand ......... look at enough deer over 30-40 years (both live and trail camera pics) and you just know the rough score by sight. Not to say there are not bucks that can fool you but overall the computer in the brain can get pretty close to the score if it has seen enough of them - LOL
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 07:10 PM   #26
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I've just learned to wing it from seeing so many posted scores with the deer's pic over the last 30 years...some of you guys are amazing how close you get to the up/down scoring. I'm usually pretty close to those who know how to do it correctly so usually not too apprehensive to share. There are those few racks that sneak through the cracks & helps you on your learning curve. Usually tied to the horn mass or misjudging the body size in my case when you are off by 10" one way or the other.

I don't count anything & just look at the deer / bone & a number rolls around...those freaky mutated antlers with the bizarre mass I don't really even try & getting close to being 10" off would be a win. I'm not even sure where mass measurements are taken on some of the goofy racks out there that go way over 200".
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #27
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugie View Post
I do something like this, except make exception for really wide or heavy mass....and then classify 85, 90, 95, 100 as a down score...then I add up the tines on the shortest side and double...pretty easy to get within 2 to 3 inches of the net score this way and it's fast, not hard to judge on the hoof when you have done it a few times.
This is what we do as well. The down score varies per region and ranch. You have to spend a lot of time observing deer in a particular area to get a good feel for the average down score of the herd. On a low fence hill country ranch the average main beam length on 4.5+ year old bucks might be 17"...vs 20" for native hill country bucks in a high fence with supplemental feeding vs. 22" in South TX...and so on and so forth.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 09:36 PM   #28
Hobbs
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I can "eyeball" most bucks and get within 5"s or so (up to a 160" buck then it takes some math). That is from seeing a lot of photos and scoring a lot of deer. You can use some baseline measurements off a deer to get you close as well. Like stated earlier, the tip of the nose to the eye is usually 7" and ears are 5-6". Just measure that on the photo and apply it to the tine length.
Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #29
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Found it : http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...hlight=tuthdoc
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 09:44 PM   #30
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

I use the if I likem shootum method. Score after I bring them back to camp.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #31
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

24 years of telling lease members no. Seen thousands of pictures and a hundred or so deer..............
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #32
ctom87
Eight Point

Quote:
OP post a trail cam pic. I bet we can get pretty close. The best way to score deer is practice. When people post deer up, tru and use all the tools to guess. Then check back in when the deer is killed.

Its natural in the beginning to over score deer. Dont get discouraged.

Well since I posted this, I shot a buck that was on my list. We don't have any huge deer, but I am interested in getting guesses at the age and score. I am getting him European mounted since it's my first nonspike and first bow kill .

I originally thought 3.5 but after looking again, neck is full... Legs seem Lean... I am changing my guess to 5.5. Thinking 125 for score? 2", 8", 7" tines? Am I close?
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2019, 10:03 PM   #33
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico - Shackelford - Callahan

Great buck - congats.

You are correct in that is an older deer. I'd think he's 5.5 all day,(looking at face, jowels, and paunch) and your guess of 125'' is about where I would peg him.
walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #34
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

I add up one side and double it. Game camera pics can really fool you. I wish tbh would put their game cameras picks and then the scores when they kill him. I have a 12 point I'm hunting now that in some pics he looks 154 and in some 140 so if he ever shows up I will post pics. I'm still thinking 150 but still haven't seen him in person.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 10:15 PM   #35
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Nolan county? If yes I say he is 5.5 and 120 that’s a good buck for that area if it is Nolan county !
Old 10-10-2019, 10:41 PM   #36
AntlersBoy
Four Point

114. Good looking deer. Congrats.

And this whole pic of pic thing blows my mind. Everything is bigger not just the horns. Letting those trail cams mess with you to much guys.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:56 PM   #37
ctom87
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
Nolan county? If yes I say he is 5.5 and 120 that’s a good buck for that area if it is Nolan county !
Yes Nolan county. No monsters by any stretch but about 3 good 'uns. I think we have a couple 10 points but I am calling one of em Crab Claw because if he is a 10, it's just barely... I will see if I have a pic of him.

Edit... Found pic
Attached Images

Last edited by ctom87; 10-10-2019 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Found crab claw
Old 10-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #38
Hoss163
Pope & Young

I hunted in Nolan county for a few years two places just south of sweetwater and another place north east of Nolan . The bucks generally are in the 120 range and the top end bucks are going to be pushing 140 the place I hunted on by Nolan was a high fence ranch all native deer at the time. I told the guy he should shoot ever deer off the place and bring some deer in he said no Im going to grow some native giants. I said there is not a buck on this place that scores over 140 . Ive been watching these deer for two years now . And all the deer that were being harvested were at least 6.5 to 7.5 and not a one scored over 140 . And that was with great range condition and supplement feeding for about 10 years . I run into the guy two years ago and he told me well I finally killed all my deer off and brought in some great deer you were right lol .