Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #1
kkp005
Eight Point

Hunt In: Madison County
Default Advice needed on newly installed countertops

Looking for some green screen advice. Our house burnt earlier in the year and we are currently renovating a new home to live in. Our last house had marble counters that we loved the look of them but hated how easily they were scratched /
Damaged.

We opted to go with granite for this home renovation and told the company thatís supplying / installing the floors & counters that we wanted a grey & white countertop. We looked through lots of pictures from the show room floors and opted to go with glacier white. Below are the actual slabs we picked out from pictures they sent us. We picked 4 slabs that would be needed.

Fast forward to Friday and we get our counters installed. We are not happy with the look of them. Thereís lots of PURPLE all throughout the granite. Almost looks as though wine was splattered all over them.

Obviously the biggest lesson learned from this is to always physically put your eyes on whatís going in your home. We went off of the picture and it looks like that was a mistake. We didnít see the counters until late Friday evening and talked briefly with our counter guy. He told us they wouldnít leave us hanging and heíd get with me Monday. Are we overreacting / being to picky ? Any tips / advice would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
be12hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, TX

I wouldnít be happy with that either. I have learned like you said to see the actual slab of granite you are getting in person.
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
ACbob
Six Point

Hunt In: Sabinal & Victoria Cnty

Definitely not being picky! The only one of the pictures that the installed top could possibly be is the first one, and I can't tell for sure but I sure don't see the wine spots. Make sure you get what you paid for.
ACbob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
SaintBlaise
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

I think we have that granite and it goes well with our set up. Wow, we bought that rock 5 years ago in New Orleans. When we agreed on the slab, it was mark-up so it wouldn't be re-sold. Not sure what I see in your picture, maybe yours was marked.

However, call you granite representative. Someone else probably has your slab. Bottom line, you should get what you paid for.

Good luck
SaintBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2019, 04:04 PM   #5
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

I dont think your being u reasonable here.
Jcjohnson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2019, 04:10 PM   #6
BertramBass
Eight Point

Hunt In: Coleman and Childress Counties

I have noticed glacier white sometimes has purple in it. Usually the slabs have white dust on them and when they get fabricated and cleaned up, it really stands out.
BertramBass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2019, 05:05 PM   #7
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

I understand being upset about your granite. You should get what color you picked

Funny. I picked out the wildest granite for our new house that has a lotta color, including purple.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2019, 05:27 PM   #8
TXJIM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

We have the same granite and like it a lot, we picked our slabs in person. Our spots are little more muted in color though.

TXJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 10:16 AM   #9
jimned
Four Point

Hunt In: Taylor County

We picked our slabs out But the lighting was not good in the warehouse . Moonwhite slab in good light is gray.
jimned is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 10:27 AM   #10
scotth89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking yet again...

Based on the pictures you were supplied and picked. You are not being unreasonable. Any company worth a darn will make it right.
scotth89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #11
AlwaysGigEm
Six Point

Hunt In: Wherever I'm Invited

Those spots are definitely a little too much for me. Not unreasonable at all.
AlwaysGigEm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 10:47 AM   #12
sectxag06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

they are clearly visible in the first picture though at the distance and lighting you wouldn't know they are purple spots. then the next couple of pictures, it seems they purposefully took pictures from areas that had no spots.
sectxag06 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #13
Sunnylab
Eight Point

Learn to love it.. Or redo it and make sure you put your eyes on it before install.

Cheapest thing would be learn to love it. LOL. Good luck. Personally I think it looks pretty good, but I get why it was a shock with the purple tones being unexpected.
Sunnylab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 11:39 AM   #14
kkp005
Eight Point

Update:
Just spoke with the counter company. They said those are the slabs that we picked and it’s what they installed.

We’ve got 3 options
1) live with them....but now they want the remaining $15000 for the rest of the flooring job up front. They are worried we will get the floors installed and then say we aren’t paying the remaining balance because we hate the counters.
2) pay out of pocket to have the counters removed and then pay for new counters
3) Cut ties.. We’ve already paid them 15k as a down payment for materials. The counters are going to be close to 9k. So we will get 6k back, cut ties....but still be stuck with the purple counters
Old 09-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #15
chehunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County/ NM

Ouch, that's kinda what I thought would happen!
Bite the bullet now and rip them out. If you and wife aren't happy with them now, you sure won't be later down the road. Sucks tho.
chehunt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #16
Terrell_County
Four Point

Hunt In: Terrell county

Where is this company based out of ? How many square feet of countertops? How many vanity undermount sinks ? Post the drawings if you can
Terrell_County is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 03:21 PM   #17
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

ouch I don't think it looks that bad!
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 03:23 PM   #18
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

So is it normal for that color to have purple spots?
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 03:30 PM   #19
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
ouch I don't think it looks that bad!
I donít think I would want to except having to pay more
Itís probably very beautiful
pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 03:36 PM   #20
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp005 View Post
Update:
Just spoke with the counter company. They said those are the slabs that we picked and itís what they installed.

Weíve got 3 options
1) live with them....but now they want the remaining $15000 for the rest of the flooring job up front. They are worried we will get the floors installed and then say we arenít paying the remaining balance because we hate the counters.
2) pay out of pocket to have the counters removed and then pay for new counters
3) Cut ties.. Weíve already paid them 15k as a down payment for materials. The counters are going to be close to 9k. So we will get 6k back, cut ties....but still be stuck with the purple counters
Me personally.... I wouldn't be happy with purple spots at all, especially if I didn't know or expect there to be any purple spots in what I though were going to be grey/white countertops.

I wouldn't be happy at all with any of the 3 options they offered either. There are at least 3 other options:

4) Countertop supplier agrees that the colors were either misrepresented at the time the order was placed or the wrong counters were shipped and installed, so they make it right by replacing them with granite that doesn't have purple spots in it at no cost to you.

5) Countertop supplier agrees that they didn't install the same color as what they showed you that you were ordering, and they split the cost of replacing them with you.

6) Countertop supplier sticks to their first 3 offers, not helping you at all, so you cut ties with them and fight it out in small claims court while you move forward with another supplier for countertops and flooring.

Option 4 is the only good one. It sounds like it's also the one least likely to happen, unfortunately.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 03:57 PM   #21
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

I see a lot of purple in the first slab picture, not much in the second one.

Do all of the tops have that much purple in them? Is it possible they made most of the cuts with the purple out of the first slab?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #22
MRWHITE87
Six Point

Hunt In: Kauffman county TX./ Delores Co

I would be cool with it if the purple was in another spot instead of RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE SINK. lol

That's why it looks messy IMO, it looks like droplets.
BUT purple is my favorite color so... lol

Sorry you're having to deal with the whole cluster though... that does suck.
MRWHITE87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 04:13 PM   #23
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Caddo

Having worked previously in countertop fabrication.... this is a very common complaint to deal with.

Things just look DIFFERENT in the lighting of your home and against the background colors of your kitchen. Full slab pictures just donít have enough resolution, detail, or color accuracy to reliably avoid complaints.

Anything we fabricated that wasnít out of our high volume varieties were always required to be hand selected. We even had people who hand picked the slabs, then personally approved the cutting layout within the slabs, then swore we swapped the slabs out on them upon install.

It really sucks that they didnít verbally give you a heads up on specks of a color as drastic as purple, but if these are indeed the 4 slabs they sent you pictures of, you are probably screwed. I would argue with them about wanting the rest of the money upfront, but I understand their trepidations. We had several houses we had to put liens on to get our money back for similar situations.

Hopefully you guys come up with a satisfactory solution.

IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 04:16 PM   #24
mattjproc
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano

Man that is a hard spot to be in. I don't think the counter top company was trying to mislead you. From the granite i have seen in that color those purple spots are pretty common. I hope you come up with a solution you're both happy with.
mattjproc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 06:41 PM   #25
Bow-TechAggie
Six Point

I have worked in the granite counter top business for the last 10 years and counter tops in general for about 25 years. Our company is big on customer satisfaction and we usually go above and beyond to make a customer happy, even if it comes out of the companies pocket. However, it sounds like you picked these slabs based on pictures only. If the company did indeed use those slabs, its a little unreasonable to ask the company to swap out on their dime. What i would do is ask to see the slabs that are remaining in that bundle. Your invoice should have the slabs' ID number on it that were used in your job. Go to their yard and look at the next slab in that sequence. If it does not have any purple spots, I would say you have a leg to stand on.

We always ask customers to view their slabs in person. Even if they picked it from photos given to us by our suppliers in Houston, we make them come look at the slabs once they arrive on our yard.
Bow-TechAggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 07:18 PM   #26
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Sucks to hear for you. However, your contractor or granite guy should have lead you to quartz. It's the only thing that is light in color that looks like marble that is as tough as granite. Marble, travertine, etc is soft and damages easy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 07:24 PM   #27
kkp005
Eight Point

Thanks for the input guys. Iím not sure where this is going to go. Looks like we will have to chalk it up as a hard lesson learned. My biggest complaint is we were pretty adamant on having a grey / white color scheme..... I do not see how they just neglected to tell us that there is freaking purple splattered all throughout. I think the granite is beautiful and looks great from a distance......but it is not the look we wanted.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:45 PM   #28
Marco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Texas

I would have it ripped out!!! Looks horrible!!!
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #29
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Caddo

Dang, that range/oven spot is GORGEOUS!

IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 08:22 PM   #30
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

Funny how that first picture is taken from the side where those purple spots aren't noticeable. The rest of the photos are taken face on.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 09:32 PM   #31
Biggs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Dakota

I donít have anything nice to say but jeeze.

Biggs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 09:38 PM   #32
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp005 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Iím not sure where this is going to go. Looks like we will have to chalk it up as a hard lesson learned. My biggest complaint is we were pretty adamant on having a grey / white color scheme..... I do not see how they just neglected to tell us that there is freaking purple splattered all throughout. I think the granite is beautiful and looks great from a distance......but it is not the look we wanted.

Looks good in these pics.

Leave it.

If you don't like it in 2 years then have it replaced
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 09:45 PM   #33
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb County

I understand it’s not what you were going for but man I think it looks fantastic!
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 09:46 PM   #34
Kevin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

At this point I’m afraid it’s lesson learned. I’m amazed that no one you know, the builder or the supplier didn’t recommend picking out the slabs in person. We spent 8+ days shopping specific slabs. Finally found 2 we were happy with after visiting many suppliers. It’s amazing how different some of the materials were one slab to another - or even in the same block. As stated above, we even picked out the cut from each slab.

I think the kitchen is looking good regardless. It is still grey/white color scheme.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 09:49 PM   #35
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Heck get a couple years out of it and then get new. It will probably grow on you.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 09:50 PM   #36
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Not too shabby I like it. Too bad all the purple is in front of sink. You’ll get use to it. All good carry on Soldier.
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 10:43 PM   #37
Full Throttle
Eight Point

Hunt In: Woodson, TX & Burneyville, OK

If the contractor suggested seeing in person and you selected off pics instead out of convenience, I think thatís on you. But if they didnít offer that as an option, they most certainly should have.

When doing remodeling projects, itís very easy to get a heightened sense of awareness to every tiny little detail. Im pretty ocd and I know when I do projects at my house, little details such as this can drive me crazy if not perfect or how I thought I wanted it. Over time, once I get back to being busy with life, etc.... these small details I let consume me seem to not bother me any more. And at times, Iíve been embarrassed that I made such a big deal about them. Itís easy to do. And I think most people probably do the same.

I hope it all works out for the best! Kitchen looks great btw.

Full Throttle is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #38
boomer453
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sabine Parish

I bet by the time your done you'll like the look. I'd say accept it and move forward.
boomer453 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 09:03 AM   #39
Fightinaggies
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

I don't think your being picky at all, I wouldnt be happy with that either. Unfortunately if those are the slabs you picked you are probably SOL. Also side note have them put paper on top of those counters, they don't need to be putting tools and stuff on your new granite!!!
Fightinaggies is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #40
sectxag06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Funny how that first picture is taken from the side where those purple spots aren't noticeable. The rest of the photos are taken face on.
yep. in my opinion, this was a lie by omission.
sectxag06 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 10:08 AM   #41
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

I actually think it looks really good, but I can absolutely understand being surprised by that.

If you ever do decide it's too much and you want to redo it, look up "Super White Dolomite". It's not quite as hard as granite but it's much harder than marble and is probably exactly the look you're going for.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top