Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #1
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young
 
Goldeneagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Allen, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.
Question SoClean users?

I contacted SoClean to see if it would work on my machine. It is a Resmed Tango about 20years old. It still works fine. SoClean folks had never seen one before, but said it "should" work. I'm going to order one and see what happens. What do Y'all think?


Name:  31XzJmZnGsL.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  8.7 KB
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #2
Traildust
Pope & Young
 
Traildust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alvin, Texas
Hunt In: Bee County
Default

You'll find out when you get it. Thanks.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 07:04 AM   #3
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young
 
Goldeneagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Allen, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.
Default

Are these as great as everyone says?
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

What the hell are they?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 07:34 AM   #5
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Google is my friend

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
coker737
Ten Point
 
coker737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Grapevine, Texas
Hunt In: My KB Ranch. Rocksprings, TX
Default

Wash mask every morning with warm water and hand soap. Clean hose with Vinegar/Water and hang to dry. No need for SoClean for me.
coker737 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
tgil
Pope & Young
 
tgil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burleson, Tx
Default

I recently saw the infomercial and was sold. I did a google search and came across this info.
https://www.verywellhealth.com/do-yo...-lumin-4171650
After reading, I opted to save my money.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tgil is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #8
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young
 
Goldeneagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Allen, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.
Default

I'm up at 4:00am and out the door at 4:20am to get to work by 5:00am. Hand washing every morning is not going to happen on a daily basis.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #9
Slicefixer
Four Point
 
Slicefixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NE TX
Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA
Default

Fantastic device.... Ozone smell dissipates rapidly once you remove from the canister..... Zero issues with rhinitis, sinusitis, etc....I still hand wash once a week....
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 10:01 AM   #10
MagicBlade
Ten Point
 
MagicBlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Keller, Texas
Hunt In: Archer County Texas
Default

I have simply washed mine with vinegar once a month and changed the filter and never had a problem. Saving my money.
MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #11
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young
 
Goldeneagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Allen, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgil View Post
I recently saw the infomercial and was sold. I did a google search and came across this info.
https://www.verywellhealth.com/do-yo...-lumin-4171650
After reading, I opted to save my money.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The ASA doesn't seem to have a problem with it.
https://www.sleepassociation.org/sle...eaner/soclean/
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #12
tgil
Pope & Young
 
tgil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burleson, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
The ASA doesn't seem to have a problem with it.
https://www.sleepassociation.org/sle...eaner/soclean/
I saw that too. Still going to wash mine by hand.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tgil is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 12:05 PM   #13
BowSlayer
Pope & Young
 
BowSlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Troup
Hunt In: Smith and Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coker737 View Post
Wash mask every morning with warm water and hand soap. Clean hose with Vinegar/Water and hang to dry. No need for SoClean for me.
You have way more time and patience than I do. That's a pain in the rear and is the reason mine didn't get cleaned as often as it should until I got the SoClean.
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #14
coker737
Ten Point
 
coker737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Grapevine, Texas
Hunt In: My KB Ranch. Rocksprings, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowSlayer View Post
You have way more time and patience than I do. That's a pain in the rear and is the reason mine didn't get cleaned as often as it should until I got the SoClean.
I guess the main thing is to clean your equipment regularly. SoClean or Hand Washing will Cut down the chances of getting sick.
coker737 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #15
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young
 
Goldeneagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Allen, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.
Default

Ordered a SoClean this morning. Gonna give it a try.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #16
Olphart
Ten Point
 
Olphart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brazos County
Hunt In: My backyard!
Default

I'm going back and forth on making this decision. Been using water/vinegar, then Dawn in water, etc. Still don't think that's enough. Read bad reviews, then good.

Goldeneagle, please update this thread after using yours for a while!
Olphart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 12:55 PM   #17
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young
 
Goldeneagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Allen, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olphart View Post
I'm going back and forth on making this decision. Been using water/vinegar, then Dawn in water, etc. Still don't think that's enough. Read bad reviews, then good.

Goldeneagle, please update this thread after using yours for a while!
Will do. I saw way more good reviews than bad. I get mine on Oct.1.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 01:13 PM   #18
deerplanter
Ten Point
 
deerplanter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beach City
Default

Been using one for about 4 years and no issues. I don't use water in my machine so I can't attest to those that do.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #19
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young
 
Goldeneagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Allen, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.
Default

Got it hooked up yesterday, so today is day 1. We'll see what happens.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #20
Olphart
Ten Point
 
Olphart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brazos County
Hunt In: My backyard!
Default

Bring this back to the top. Any issues or great comments yet?
Olphart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 10:41 PM   #21
Keith
Administrator
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1998
Location: Sulphur Springs, TX
Default

In for the review. I clean mine about once a week, but should do it more often.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 11:04 PM   #22
dac6933
Pope & Young
 
dac6933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Allen,Tx
Default

I have had the Soclean for over a week and love it. When you wake up you drop your mask in and close the lid. The cleaning time is programmed by you and its automatic. Also has a manuel button if you forget to put your mask in. Your mask smells really fresh and clean every time you put it on. So far I would recomend it.
dac6933 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 11:39 PM   #23
Keith
Administrator
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1998
Location: Sulphur Springs, TX
Default

I read reviews when I researched them saying the masks turn yellowish and get stiff so they no longer seal. This renders them useless, you have to buy new face masks. Has anyone experienced this?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 11:49 PM   #24
dac6933
Pope & Young
 
dac6933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Allen,Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I read reviews when I researched them saying the masks turn yellowish and get stiff so they no longer seal. This renders them useless, you have to buy new face masks. Has anyone experienced this?
Mine has not yet. I replace my mask ever couple of months so I dont think that will be an issue.
dac6933 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2019, 12:08 AM   #25
Slicefixer
Four Point
 
Slicefixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NE TX
Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I read reviews when I researched them saying the masks turn yellowish and get stiff so they no longer seal. This renders them useless, you have to buy new face masks. Has anyone experienced this?
Nope..... Great machine IMOP
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2019, 01:43 AM   #26
Keith
Administrator
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1998
Location: Sulphur Springs, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac6933 View Post
Mine has not yet. I replace my mask ever couple of months so I dont think that will be an issue.
I had to replace my masks every 3-4 months for the first year or so. All of them started leaking, and got a little less pliable. Then I tried a different brand and I've been using it for 21 months now with no leaks.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 07:14 AM   #27
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young
 
Goldeneagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Allen, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olphart View Post
Bring this back to the top. Any issues or great comments yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dac6933 View Post
I have had the Soclean for over a week and love it. When you wake up you drop your mask in and close the lid. The cleaning time is programmed by you and its automatic. Also has a manuel button if you forget to put your mask in. Your mask smells really fresh and clean every time you put it on. So far I would recomend it.
The smell is taking some getting used to. It smells like when you wash your hose and don't get all the soap out. I am getting used to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I read reviews when I researched them saying the masks turn yellowish and get stiff so they no longer seal. This renders them useless, you have to buy new face masks. Has anyone experienced this?
They say it depends on the material the mask is made out of. It will mess up certain materials.


I've been using it for a week now. So far I think it is a good investment. Drop your mask in and the machine does the work. I have noticed one thing. For close to a year I have had sneeze attacks some time during the day every day. Just out of the blue I'll sneeze 4-5 times in a row. Since using the SoClean, I have not sneezed a single time all week. I don't know if it is related or not, but seems like it is.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #28
Slicefixer
Four Point
 
Slicefixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NE TX
Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA
Default

Delete.... Double post

Last edited by Slicefixer; 10-07-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #29
Slicefixer
Four Point
 
Slicefixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NE TX
Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA
Default

" I have noticed one thing. For close to a year I have had sneeze attacks some time during the day every day. Just out of the blue I'll sneeze 4-5 times in a row. Since using the SoClean, I have not sneezed a single time all week. I don't know if it is related or not, but seems like it is."

Same here and it is.....😉👍🏼
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #30
Olphart
Ten Point
 
Olphart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brazos County
Hunt In: My backyard!
Default

Thanks for the updates. I may have to give this thing a try after I speak with my pulmonogist tomorrow. He'll likely order a different machine.
Olphart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #31
Keith
Administrator
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1998
Location: Sulphur Springs, TX
Default

Do you have updates? Are you happy with the CPAP cleaner you purchased, and would you buy it again?

I'm ready to buy a CPAP cleaner and trying to decide which one to get. The 3B Lumin uses safer UV light but can only clean what will fit in the cleaning drawer. This is only the mask and some reservoirs. To clean your hose you have to buy an additional hose cleaner and slowly pass a cleaner through the hose. This looks like a pain to do everyday. However, you can also clean other items that will fit in the drawer, such as toothbrushes, dentures, baby pacifiers, etc.
The SoClean uses Ozone, which some say isn't as safe. However it will clean the entire CPAP system including the mask, hose, reservoir and machine.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2019, 01:05 PM   #32
gadeerwoman
Six Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

Don't have the soclean machine. I just wash as recommended and every few days I let the reservoir, mask (unless you have the foam one), and tubing sit in a rinse bath of water and listorine mouth wash for at least 30 minutes. Take it out and quick rinse with water. Leaves a clean smell and seems to help with allergies. If you have a foam type mask just don't soak the foam mask piece.
gadeerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 01:04 AM   #33
Burnadell
Pope & Young
 
Burnadell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: White Oak
Hunt In: Bee County
Default

I found this info plus some other info on the danger of breathing ozone which is what "activated oxygen" is. I just don't see the benefit vs risk being enough to get me to generate ozone right by my bedside every day!


Are Ozone CPAP Cleaners Safe?
By Angela Giudice, RPSGT

Are ozone CPAP cleaners safe?

I have been a clinician in the sleep business for a long time. Sometimes I see a product on the market that raises an eyebrow, and sometimes I see a product that raises genuine concern.

Patients with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) run the gamut from healthy and athletic to those faced with other comorbidities such as asthma, COPA, and pulmonary fibrosis.

It is that overlap of the patient population that concerns me most when I see ozone-based CPAP cleaners heavily marketed.

Out in California, the California Air Resources Board (CARB) was sufficiently alarmed to adopt legislation to protect public health. Why? Because ozone is not what other manufacturers advertise it to be (i.e. “activated oxygen”). Rather, ozone is a toxic gas. FDA regulations are pretty clear on this:

Sec. 801.415 Maximum acceptable level of ozone.
(a) Ozone is a toxic gas with no known useful medical application in specific, adjunctive, or preventive therapy. In order for ozone to be effective as a germicide, it must be present in a concentration far greater than that which can be safely tolerated by man and animals.
(b) Although undesirable physiological effects on the central nervous system, heart, and vision have been reported, the predominant physiological effect of ozone is primary irritation of the mucous membranes. Inhalation of ozone can cause sufficient irritation to the lungs to result in pulmonary edema. The onset of pulmonary edema is usually delayed for some hours after exposure; thus, symptomatic response is not a reliable warning of exposure to toxic concentrations of ozone. Since olfactory fatigue develops readily, the odor of ozone is not a reliable index of atmospheric ozone concentration. (emphasis added).

The two products I see in the marketplace that rely on ozone for disinfection are SoClean and VirtuClean.

One has a warning not to use the CPAP equipment for several hours. The other has no warning at all for a waiting period.

A safe waiting period is probably several hours.

But, how much ozone is being vented in the room? Is it safe for pets, children and the elderly? Does the product
label even indicate how much ozone is released?

Probably not.

If a patient wants to use an ozone product, at least some awareness as to the risks needs to be raised to ensure that the product is used safely and as directed.

The worst thing that can happen is that the patient does not wait several hours to use and inhales a full column of ozone in the CPAP hose into their lungs, or the device vents enough ozone to raise the room concentration above 0.05 ppm.

So are ozone CPAP cleaners safe?

If you can smell ozone, you are breathing it.

And that is never a safe thing. September 18, 2018

Because ozone is not what other manufacturers advertise it to be (i.e. “activated oxygen”). Rather, ozone is a toxic gas. FDA regulations are pretty clear on this: ... Inhalation of ozone can cause sufficient irritation to the lungs to result in pulmonary edema. Sep 18, 2018
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 01:49 AM   #34
dac6933
Pope & Young
 
dac6933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Allen,Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
I found this info plus some other info on the danger of breathing ozone which is what "activated oxygen" is. I just don't see the benefit vs risk being enough to get me to generate ozone right by my bedside every day!


Are Ozone CPAP Cleaners Safe?
By Angela Giudice, RPSGT

Are ozone CPAP cleaners safe?

I have been a clinician in the sleep business for a long time. Sometimes I see a product on the market that raises an eyebrow, and sometimes I see a product that raises genuine concern.

Patients with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) run the gamut from healthy and athletic to those faced with other comorbidities such as asthma, COPA, and pulmonary fibrosis.

It is that overlap of the patient population that concerns me most when I see ozone-based CPAP cleaners heavily marketed.

Out in California, the California Air Resources Board (CARB) was sufficiently alarmed to adopt legislation to protect public health. Why? Because ozone is not what other manufacturers advertise it to be (i.e. “activated oxygen”). Rather, ozone is a toxic gas. FDA regulations are pretty clear on this:

Sec. 801.415 Maximum acceptable level of ozone.
(a) Ozone is a toxic gas with no known useful medical application in specific, adjunctive, or preventive therapy. In order for ozone to be effective as a germicide, it must be present in a concentration far greater than that which can be safely tolerated by man and animals.
(b) Although undesirable physiological effects on the central nervous system, heart, and vision have been reported, the predominant physiological effect of ozone is primary irritation of the mucous membranes. Inhalation of ozone can cause sufficient irritation to the lungs to result in pulmonary edema. The onset of pulmonary edema is usually delayed for some hours after exposure; thus, symptomatic response is not a reliable warning of exposure to toxic concentrations of ozone. Since olfactory fatigue develops readily, the odor of ozone is not a reliable index of atmospheric ozone concentration. (emphasis added).

The two products I see in the marketplace that rely on ozone for disinfection are SoClean and VirtuClean.

One has a warning not to use the CPAP equipment for several hours. The other has no warning at all for a waiting period.

A safe waiting period is probably several hours.

But, how much ozone is being vented in the room? Is it safe for pets, children and the elderly? Does the product
label even indicate how much ozone is released?

Probably not.

If a patient wants to use an ozone product, at least some awareness as to the risks needs to be raised to ensure that the product is used safely and as directed.

The worst thing that can happen is that the patient does not wait several hours to use and inhales a full column of ozone in the CPAP hose into their lungs, or the device vents enough ozone to raise the room concentration above 0.05 ppm.

So are ozone CPAP cleaners safe?

If you can smell ozone, you are breathing it.

And that is never a safe thing. September 18, 2018

Because ozone is not what other manufacturers advertise it to be (i.e. “activated oxygen”). Rather, ozone is a toxic gas. FDA regulations are pretty clear on this: ... Inhalation of ozone can cause sufficient irritation to the lungs to result in pulmonary edema. Sep 18, 2018
You lost me when I read the word California.
dac6933 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2019, 11:08 PM   #35
Keith
Administrator
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1998
Location: Sulphur Springs, TX
Default

I ordered a SoClean and have been using it for about 4 days. The ozone odor from the cleaning is super strong. I have decided to send it back, it is not worth the health risk to me. I just ordered a 3B Lumin from Amazon that will be here on Monday.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2019, 11:28 PM   #36
Burnadell
Pope & Young
 
Burnadell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: White Oak
Hunt In: Bee County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I ordered a SoClean and have been using it for about 4 days. The ozone odor from the cleaning is super strong. I have decided to send it back, it is not worth the health risk to me. I just ordered a 3B Lumin from Amazon that will be here on Monday.
I agree, Keith. I have NEVER cleaned my CPAP mask or tube in many year
s. Never been sick because of it. I don't advocate this lack of cleaning, but it is ridiculous to think it needs cleaning every day! That is marketing hype!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2019, 11:35 PM   #37
doghouse
Pope & Young
 
doghouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Goldthwaite
Hunt In: Mills County
Default

I have a Soclean machine and use it daily. I don't like the smell so turn CPAP machine on about 30 minutes before I go to bed.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2019, 11:39 PM   #38
sec
Six Point
 
sec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Azle, Tx
Default Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
I found this info plus some other info on the danger of breathing ozone which is what "activated oxygen" is. I just don't see the benefit vs risk being enough to get me to generate ozone right by my bedside every day!


Are Ozone CPAP Cleaners Safe?
By Angela Giudice, RPSGT

Are ozone CPAP cleaners safe?

I have been a clinician in the sleep business for a long time. Sometimes I see a product on the market that raises an eyebrow, and sometimes I see a product that raises genuine concern.

Patients with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) run the gamut from healthy and athletic to those faced with other comorbidities such as asthma, COPA, and pulmonary fibrosis.

It is that overlap of the patient population that concerns me most when I see ozone-based CPAP cleaners heavily marketed.

Out in California, the California Air Resources Board (CARB) was sufficiently alarmed to adopt legislation to protect public health. Why? Because ozone is not what other manufacturers advertise it to be (i.e. “activated oxygen”). Rather, ozone is a toxic gas. FDA regulations are pretty clear on this:

Sec. 801.415 Maximum acceptable level of ozone.
(a) Ozone is a toxic gas with no known useful medical application in specific, adjunctive, or preventive therapy. In order for ozone to be effective as a germicide, it must be present in a concentration far greater than that which can be safely tolerated by man and animals.
(b) Although undesirable physiological effects on the central nervous system, heart, and vision have been reported, the predominant physiological effect of ozone is primary irritation of the mucous membranes. Inhalation of ozone can cause sufficient irritation to the lungs to result in pulmonary edema. The onset of pulmonary edema is usually delayed for some hours after exposure; thus, symptomatic response is not a reliable warning of exposure to toxic concentrations of ozone. Since olfactory fatigue develops readily, the odor of ozone is not a reliable index of atmospheric ozone concentration. (emphasis added).

The two products I see in the marketplace that rely on ozone for disinfection are SoClean and VirtuClean.

One has a warning not to use the CPAP equipment for several hours. The other has no warning at all for a waiting period.

A safe waiting period is probably several hours.

But, how much ozone is being vented in the room? Is it safe for pets, children and the elderly? Does the product
label even indicate how much ozone is released?

Probably not.

If a patient wants to use an ozone product, at least some awareness as to the risks needs to be raised to ensure that the product is used safely and as directed.

The worst thing that can happen is that the patient does not wait several hours to use and inhales a full column of ozone in the CPAP hose into their lungs, or the device vents enough ozone to raise the room concentration above 0.05 ppm.

So are ozone CPAP cleaners safe?

If you can smell ozone, you are breathing it.

And that is never a safe thing. September 18, 2018

Because ozone is not what other manufacturers advertise it to be (i.e. “activated oxygen”). Rather, ozone is a toxic gas. FDA regulations are pretty clear on this: ... Inhalation of ozone can cause sufficient irritation to the lungs to result in pulmonary edema. Sep 18, 2018
If Commiefornia thinks it’s bad then it should be perfectly fine!
I’ve had one and used it for about 4-5 years now, seems to be fine never a problem
sec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2019, 11:48 PM   #39
Burnadell
Pope & Young
 
Burnadell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: White Oak
Hunt In: Bee County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec View Post
If Commiefornia thinks it’s bad then it should be perfectly fine!
I’ve had one and used it for about 4-5 years now, seems to be fine never a problem
You did not pay attention to the last paragraph that had nothing to do with California. That was quoted from the FDA.

Ozone is bad for you. One should not breath it, but if you want to...go right ahead.

Last edited by Burnadell; 10-19-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 12:56 AM   #40
Slicefixer
Four Point
 
Slicefixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NE TX
Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
You did not pay attention to the last paragraph that had nothing to do with California. That was quoted from the FDA.

Ozone is bad for you. One should not breath it, but if you want to...go right ahead.
ALL you have to do is FOLLOW instructions.....don't remove the mask from the cleaner until the YELLOW light has gone OFF.....then, when you do (which in my cases is many hours after the yellow light goes off), let the mask sir out for a few minutes and you're good to go......

It never ceases to amaze me how people who have zero personal knowledge or experience about a subject (beyond reading on the internet) think of themselves as an "expert" on a subject.
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 12:57 AM   #41
Slicefixer
Four Point
 
Slicefixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NE TX
Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
You did not pay attention to the last paragraph that had nothing to do with California. That was quoted from the FDA.

Ozone is bad for you. One should not breath it, but if you want to...go right ahead.
ALL you have to do is FOLLOW instructions. Don't remove the mask from the cleaner until the YELLOW light has gone OFF. Then, when you do (which in my cases is many hours after the yellow light goes off, which, btw, is TWO hours post the end of the cleaning sequence), let the mask air out for a few minutes, and you're good to go. There's ZERO ozone smell when I place my mask on my face. it's idiot proof unless you ARE one.

It never ceases to amaze me how people who have zero personal knowledge or experience about a subject (beyond reading on the internet) think of themselves as an "expert" on a subject.

Last edited by Slicefixer; 10-20-2019 at 01:23 AM.
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 01:42 AM   #42
sec
Six Point
 
sec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Azle, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
You did not pay attention to the last paragraph that had nothing to do with California. That was quoted from the FDA.

Ozone is bad for you. One should not breath it, but if you want to...go right ahead.
Will continue to do just that....
sec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 02:00 AM   #43
dac6933
Pope & Young
 
dac6933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Allen,Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
ALL you have to do is FOLLOW instructions.....don't remove the mask from the cleaner until the YELLOW light has gone OFF.....then, when you do (which in my cases is many hours after the yellow light goes off), let the mask sir out for a few minutes and you're good to go......

It never ceases to amaze me how people who have zero personal knowledge or experience about a subject (beyond reading on the internet) think of themselves as an "expert" on a subject.
Yep, love mine.
dac6933 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #44
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young
 
Goldeneagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Allen, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
I have a Soclean machine and use it daily. I don't like the smell so turn CPAP machine on about 30 minutes before I go to bed.
This is what I'm doing. I turn on my CPAP when I get into the shower. Also, the SoClean is set to clean at 10:00am. It runs for 7 minutes then it just sits until I take a shower at about 7:00pm. So far I have had no problems.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:10 AM   #45
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

I’ve had mine for a year and a half I guess and wouldn’t be without it. Hand washing is a pain and doesn’t clean the inside of your machine at all. SoClean does. I just bought a new machine as my 15 year old one crapped out, and they sent me a new adapter at no cost.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #46
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Hell I just rinse/soak my reservoir, tube and mask in a little white vinegar/water mixture and clean my filter once a week and I'm good. My lungs and ozone do not get along at all..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #47
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young
 
Hoggslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manvel, TX mostly in the Doghouse
Hunt In: My Truck at night.
Default

I clean mine about every 6 months.
No joke. I don't use a water tank.
Hoggslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 12:18 AM   #48
Keith
Administrator
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1998
Location: Sulphur Springs, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
ALL you have to do is FOLLOW instructions. Don't remove the mask from the cleaner until the YELLOW light has gone OFF. Then, when you do (which in my cases is many hours after the yellow light goes off, which, btw, is TWO hours post the end of the cleaning sequence), let the mask air out for a few minutes, and you're good to go. There's ZERO ozone smell when I place my mask on my face. it's idiot proof unless you ARE one.

It never ceases to amaze me how people who have zero personal knowledge or experience about a subject (beyond reading on the internet) think of themselves as an "expert" on a subject.

Your SoClean is defective and doesn't work at all, or mine was putting out WAY too much ozone, or perhaps you are "nose blind" to ozone. Everyone in my family could smell it in the mask with the mask over a foot away from their faces. Put the mask on your face and it was STRONG.



Mine is/was running at 10:00 AM daily, then shortly after lunch I would take the face mask out and lay it on the bed to air out. When I go to bed after midnight, it still had an overpowering ozone odor, 11-12 hours after airing out. My wife even complained about how strong the odor was. She goes to bed about 4 hours before I do and had me lay the mask on a dresser as far away from the bed as the hose would allow.
I fixed that problem though. I am returning it tomorrow because my new 3B Lumin came in today and it is MUCH better. The only odor with it is a slight burnt, maybe weak campfire like odor. I just got it in today, I'll report back in a week or so.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 12:31 AM   #49
Slicefixer
Four Point
 
Slicefixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NE TX
Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA
Default

No it's not defective, nor is my nose, but, perhaps yours was/is (have you read the load of other positive comments in this posting or did you lock down on only mine? hehehe)......or perhaps you're the new national sales manager for Lumin....😉

Btw, my boss of over 25 years is laying right beside me. Believe me, if she smelled ozone there'd be fire trucks at my house right now....

Last edited by Slicefixer; 10-23-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 07:24 AM   #50
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young
 
Goldeneagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Allen, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Your SoClean is defective and doesn't work at all, or mine was putting out WAY too much ozone, or perhaps you are "nose blind" to ozone. Everyone in my family could smell it in the mask with the mask over a foot away from their faces. Put the mask on your face and it was STRONG.



Mine is/was running at 10:00 AM daily, then shortly after lunch I would take the face mask out and lay it on the bed to air out. When I go to bed after midnight, it still had an overpowering ozone odor, 11-12 hours after airing out. My wife even complained about how strong the odor was. She goes to bed about 4 hours before I do and had me lay the mask on a dresser as far away from the bed as the hose would allow.
I fixed that problem though. I am returning it tomorrow because my new 3B Lumin came in today and it is MUCH better. The only odor with it is a slight burnt, maybe weak campfire like odor. I just got it in today, I'll report back in a week or so.
Either your SoClean is jacked up or y'all have super sensitive noses. I take my mask out about 30 minutes before bedtime and barely have any smell to it at all. I do go ahead and turn on my CPAP to run some air through it.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com