Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-19-2019, 05:45 PM   #1
Kurdawg
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sam Rayburn
Default Tearing out a flooded house cost?

What’s average cost hire someone to move all flooded stuff out and stop 4’ of Sheetrock on a 1200 square foot house?
Kurdawg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #2
Calrob
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet, Joppa, Wilco, My backyard

No help at all but prayers and a bump.
Calrob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #3
RR 314
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdawg View Post
What’s average cost hire someone to move all flooded stuff out and stop 4’ of Sheetrock on a 1200 square foot house?
Man, no help on price. Problem will likely be availability of hands in the short term. I would het to work on sheetrock and insulation yourself as quickly as possible. Bleach in a sprayer as well. Hate to hear. Best wishes. Went through the same with my parents x2. 4800 sq. ft. single story. Water in each room.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Kurtis, not sure how it would work in your area, but many, many of the homes in our local area were cleared by volunteers from local area churches. That's the first place I'd contact... my local church, or churches in your area... We have teams ready right now at our church ready to go out into homes in Kingwood to start that process ...again!! We did almost 300 after Harvey just in Kingwood!! Soon as water goes down where I can get out of my area, I'll be headed in to join a crew that will be mudding out my daughter's house... AGAIN!! She flooded in April...
Good luck sir, and do your best to keep Weston out of that water!! ...some nasty stuff in flood waters.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 06:37 PM   #5
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

String line, razor knife and 4 or 5 guys can get that done by lunch time. Biggest deal is getting fans or dehumidifiers running. Id offer my help but cant till sunday

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #6
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I am pretty sure Kurtis did all the work during his Harvey flooding and he doesn't want the *** whipping again so he's trying to find out what it will cost him for somebody else to do it. That's what I gathered anyway from knowing he just went through this.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #7
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Stand by for insurance rates increase...…….
I'm no help...……
sorry, man...……….
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #8
Calrob
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet, Joppa, Wilco, My backyard

I can send a fan or two if anyone needs one. Prayers for yall.
Calrob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #9
Rubberdown
Ten Point

Green screen work day?
Rubberdown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #10
Stuck
Ten Point

If it was my house I would salvage what I can go buy all the tools I needed and be at Home Depot by 6:30am with a $1000.00 bill in my hand for 5 guys. Take the, home and have them remove everything 4’ down. If the wife is going to try and pick through things as they are working it will just slow things down. Less than $1 a square foot.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 07:16 PM   #11
HotRod Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land and have a lease in Huntsville thats only good for riding four wheelers and camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Kurtis, not sure how it would work in your area, but many, many of the homes in our local area were cleared by volunteers from local area churches. That's the first place I'd contact... my local church, or churches in your area... We have teams ready right now at our church ready to go out into homes in Kingwood to start that process ...again!! We did almost 300 after Harvey just in Kingwood!! Soon as water goes down where I can get out of my area, I'll be headed in to join a crew that will be mudding out my daughter's house... AGAIN!! She flooded in April...
Good luck sir, and do your best to keep Weston out of that water!! ...some nasty stuff in flood waters.
This is correct. I’ve seen it many times. Good Luck Sir and prayers for you
HotRod Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #12
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I am pretty sure Kurtis did all the work during his Harvey flooding and he doesn't want the *** whipping again so he's trying to find out what it will cost him for somebody else to do it. That's what I gathered anyway from knowing he just went through this.

I just talked to my son-in-law, and he told me "we ain't touching a thing"... I ain't got it in me to do it again... He's already called his insurance company and he has a crew that is supposed to start tomorrow... I'm sure that's what Kurtis is thinking too!! I will ask my SIL if he got a price and let you all know.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 08:08 PM   #13
Rubberdown
Ten Point

Definitely be in contact with the churches. Like the guy above said, I don’t know how many houses we did but we ran out of houses to gut.
Rubberdown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #14
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

From a Facebook post of an old friend (Maggie Flowers) of mine who lives in Nederland whose husband, Randy, does this:

Certified carpenter available for clearing, cleaning and repairing flooded homes, leaks in roofs and repairing other damages that may occur. Randall Flowers 409-728-5355.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 08:30 PM   #15
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Kurdawg, check with local churches, some of them will be taking requests to tear out sheet rock. Get on their help list. Free labor. Our church did several hundred houses during Harvey. If you have a Church Family, they will help. The B-Air Blowers dry a wet floor and walls real quick. We used them today and they are awesome.

Brother my heart goes to you and your family.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 08:40 PM   #16
trophyhunter01
Eight Point

Hunt In: Walker County on the river

Samaritan’s Purse is a ministry based org that helps with that for another resource, free to homeowner
trophyhunter01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 08:44 PM   #17
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Buddy had a water leak in the lake house that went unnoticed for a month.

He just paid $9K to have the first floor gutted, to 4’ up the walls.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 10:19 PM   #18
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberdown View Post
Green screen work day?
I'd be in.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 01:45 AM   #19
Kurdawg
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sam Rayburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Your 95% right. Me and 3 buddies did it 2 years ago and they wouldn’t take any money. Tomorrow we will be doing it again but I’m going to pay them no matter what! I was just looking for a fair price so they wouldn’t agure with me lol.
Kurdawg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 03:51 AM   #20
cbd10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for new places

Pay them 20 per hr. That's what I payed my crews during Harvey.

+ dump fees and materials
cbd10pt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 06:19 AM   #21
Stuck
Ten Point

Quote:
Your 95% right. Me and 3 buddies did it 2 years ago and they wouldn’t take any money. Tomorrow we will be doing it again but I’m going to pay them no matter what! I was just looking for a fair price so they wouldn’t agure with me lol.
Well now we have the full story. With that labor, good food and cold beer. Only a bad friend would try and pay more.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 07:27 AM   #22
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
when I helped do a K9 guys house last year we saw one Sawzall get zapped when the operator hit a strand of romex. We all laughed while eating fried crappie and having a beer afterward

other than the house damage it was a good time really
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 07:43 AM   #23
deerplanter
Ten Point

Quote:
I bet they still won't take your money, I wouldn't and won't from others I help. You could always make a donation in their name to an organization that is helping other in your area.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 08:03 AM   #24
JayB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

Friends won't take your money but you can organize a thank you bash afterwards. Maybe a BBQ or a fishing trip or whatever.

Follow up thought...if they won't let you pay them, then pay for their deer processing or something along those lines.

.....and God Bless America.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #25
7sdad
Ten Point

I found a local guy that took all the sheet rock off the walls and ceiling for $500 and he even hauled it away.
Attached Images

7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #26
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

If you are going to pay going rate to your friends why would mess it? Just pay going rate to contractor and yall go play a round of golf.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #27
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

Leave the razor in the toolbox.

Pull the tape loose.

Going rate is about 1.25 a foot
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #28
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co

I went through this twice in Katy on 1200 sq ft. The first time I hired one of the mitigation contractors and paid around $10,000 for tear out dehumidifiers and spraying the mold bs. The second time we got help from a number of volunteers including Christian Brothers Automotive and only paid a mitigation company to dehumidify and spray the mold bs. IIRC the cost of the dehumidifiers was around $3500 for 5 days. The mitigation companies will insist on tearing out EVERYTHING which on the second experience we found it not necessary to destroy the cabinets if they are wood and the plywood has not delaminated. We broke out the backs of the cabinets an removed the doors to dry out. MDF or particle board can’t be saved. Drill some 1” or larger holes in the kick boards of the cabinets to dry under them. Get chlorine bleach applied ASAP. The mold bs the contractors use is Sporocidin. Smells like a hospital and cost about $30/gallon online. No license required.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #29
Hockley
Eight Point

We did everything ourselves after Harvey with the help of friends and family. I even did all of the dry out and mold remediation stuff myself. I have two dehumidifiers I can loan you. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
Hockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top