Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-13-2019, 08:46 PM   #1
Thad_Castle
Four Point

Default Lumbar Microdiscectomy

Has anyone had it done?

Iím scheduled to have one done early next month for a disc herniation on my l5/s1. It couldnít be any worse timing coming right before the start of season but itís gotten to the point that I canít even stand up for more than 5 minutes at a time and basically been on bedrest for the past two weeks. I tried PT, Chiro, massage, pain management, etc but nothing lasted longer than a day. I tell you what guys, this is the most debilitating pain Iíve ever had. From my lower back all the way down to the side of my foot on the left side. Nothing but laying down makes it subside. So if you have had the surgery:

How long did your recovery take?
Any chance I could get back to shooting within a week or two?
Thad_Castle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 09:05 PM   #2
newmathewsfan
Six Point

Hunt In: Callahan County/Val Verde County

I’ve had 3 of those surgeries, starting at L/3 and going right on down. The surgery itself is simple and you’ll get immediate relief. However, you really need to heed the docs warnings and cautions about overdoing it afterward. If you follow instructions, 3-4 weeks and you are good as new with the exception of lifting much weight.
newmathewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #3
hogdaddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever

L5-L4, L5-S1 out 5 1/5 months. 16 yrs ago, time for round 2.
good luck, you're kind of out of choices. did i mention the sixteen good years?
hogdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 09:24 PM   #4
cvanbrunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack County

Iíve had two of them.

Surgery was easy. Follow the docs orders and take things slow. Youíre going to feel so much better youíre going to want to do everything all at once. Donít rush it or youíll pay for it afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cvanbrunt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 09:30 PM   #5
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

I had one done on my L4/L5 3 years ago on October 14th. I was back in a tree stand by my birthdday, November 13th. Now I had back up for helping pull an animal out of the woods and load it up because that still wasn’t an option, but I could easily climb into a stand and shoot my bow. You’re going to feel GREAT and glad you did it!
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 09:44 PM   #6
Thad_Castle
Four Point

Good to hear!

I just got a vertix from the fiancť for my birthday and put close to $1000 in accessories on it before all this happened. Haven’t even got to shoot it but maybe 5 times. I did get it to the local shop and cranked down to 60 lbs though just in case.

I’m still in my 20s and the thought of surgery scared me but I’m at a breaking point, tried driving the other day and made it about two blocks before hauling tail home to grab an ice pack and hit the couch lol
Old 09-13-2019, 09:44 PM   #7
MLAH
Six Point

^
MLAH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 09:55 PM   #8
Aggie Dad
Six Point

Hunt In: Bee County

I have not had that done yet but, I am having a lumbar laminectomy on 2 levels done next Friday on L2/L3 & L4/L5. Best of luck to you!
Aggie Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #9
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I was working 9 days later. It's been 5 or 6 years

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 10:42 PM   #10
BowOnly81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF and Trinity Co.

L4-L5 and the L5-S1 done last August. 7 days later I went on a spot and stalk ram hunt. Walked out of the hospital the same day. Amazing relief!! After 4 years of bad sciatica, I was done with the pain! I walked a lot the first week and that’s what helped heal it faster. Laying up is not good for the healing process. Just listen to your body and know when to stop!
BowOnly81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 12:01 AM   #11
Thad_Castle
Four Point

Well I got it done this morning. Showed up at the hospital at 6 and walked out at 10:30. It was a very quick procedure, the worst part was hooking up the iv (I don’t do needles)

The sciatica pain is gone for the most part, still a little numbness on the side of my foot but I can live with that. I’m actually able to stand up for more than 30 seconds at a time and sit! It’s shocking how oblivious I was to the extent of the disability. I just put up with it for so long hoping it would go away. Just glad I went through with the surgery up to this point.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:16 AM   #12
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Bed rest for a week, then start walking short distances, gradually increase distance once or twice a day. I was back at work in 2 weeks.

You'll need to reprogram your lifestyle about lifting heavy unless you want to go under the knife again. I've been good for 13 years with only a few sore days from over doing it.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #13
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Hunt In: New Ulm and Pearsall

This is exactly what I'm looking at having done. Mine is also an L4/L5 and L5/S1. I was referred to Neil Badlani in Houston by a couple of colleagues that have had it done.
My back used to "go out" once a year only. Blinding sciatica pain for 2-3 days and then I was ok. But it's been a daily struggle now for pretty much the entire year. I'm over it.

To you guys that say lifting heavy is out, do you mean forever or just during the recovery? What about running? I'm definitely not a small guy but I've run a few triathlons and want to get back into that.
TexasLongball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #14
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Texaslongball. Heavy lifting is relative. Iíve had it done. I was a big power lifter. I still lift but just do moderate lifts and isolate instead of the big power movements. I donít do anything other than curls with Olympic bar. I still grab 80# and up to do my dumbbell chest work. No more sets of 4-5 for me either. Iím 10-15 reps now. You can still get muscle fatigue just gotta be smarter about it
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #15
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Hunt In: New Ulm and Pearsall

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Texaslongball. Heavy lifting is relative. Iíve had it done. I was a big power lifter. I still lift but just do moderate lifts and isolate instead of the big power movements. I donít do anything other than curls with Olympic bar. I still grab 80# and up to do my dumbbell chest work. No more sets of 4-5 for me either. Iím 10-15 reps now. You can still get muscle fatigue just gotta be smarter about it
Thanks.

Geez, I just found this and it sounds like he had a hell of a time:
https://aesthetic-physiques.com/2016...tomy-recovery/
TexasLongball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #16
topwater blowup
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

You will feel like a new person immediately, but the trick is to BEHAVE heed the doctors orders to the T if not you are very likely to pay the price and have many regrets.

Don't let one season of hunting or fishing impede your future. Take it slow walk as instructed don't pick up anything more than instructed, be very cautious, no shooting a gun, no boat rides etc. for 3-4 months.
topwater blowup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top