Poison Ivy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poison Ivy

Got it bad on both arms clearing some brush in my backyard on the 30th. Washed down with Technu that night. About a week later I had a rash that was spreading to my neck and face so I went in and got a shot and predisone script. Well, yesterday was the last day of the prednisone. It looks a WHOLE lot better than it did Wednesday when it was at its worst. But im still itching all over my arms.

My guess is it went into an allergic reaction last week and im still having that going on. Anyone ever had it this bad? I can hardly stand it anymore.

Home remedies accepted also.

Yes, it's horrible and I am highly allergic, my son can roll in it with no problem. I would have all 7 knee surgeries over again before I deal with that again.

Comment

Run your arms under hot hot water and scrub it with soap .. Trust me ..

Comment

When I get it it lasts for 2 weeks.

Scalding hot showers before bed time helps.

Comment

Originally posted by wlgorman View Post
          Got it bad on both arms clearing some brush in my backyard on the 30th. Washed down with Technu that night. About a week later I had a rash that was spreading to my neck and face so I went in and got a shot and predisone script. Well, yesterday was the last day of the prednisone. It looks a WHOLE lot better than it did Wednesday when it was at its worst. But im still itching all over my arms.

My guess is it went into an allergic reaction last week and im still having that going on. Anyone ever had it this bad? I can hardly stand it anymore.

Home remedies accepted also.
          Wondering if there is a poison ivy residue somewhere and you keep giving it back to yourself?? Bed sheets, other clothes?

Comment

Your body will not be getting immune to that stuff. The next time you get it, it will be worse! If you get it again, go straight to your doctor and get a shot ASAP. I am really allergic to it. I have to get that shot right away. Its been about 10 years since I had gotten the allergic reaction.

Comment

I was cutting some branches from the ground with a pole saw in Oct near my blind. Needless to say the next morning I had itchy spots. That night I had rash all over my legs. I've not had poison ivy that bad in like 10 years. I never just get a spot or two, I get it from ankle to a**hole!

Comment

Originally posted by Grulla View Post
                Run your arms under hot hot water and scrub it with soap .. Trust me ..
                3 times a day. It feels great but only temporary relief.

Comment

Next time use this. Trust me.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I had a similar situation a couple years ago. Turned out I had become allergic to the prednisone, even though Ive had it tons of times with no reaction.

Comment

Clean area as soon as possible with Dawn dishwashing soap. Dawn takes grease/oil off better than anything else that I have found. Also I'm not sure where he gets it but my dad sends me this preventative medicine that is taken orally 3 times in 3 weeks. It has really seemed to help. Sorry I don't know the name of it.

Comment

I used to get it really really bad when I was young, like cover my entire body bad.. Now I can bump into it and as long as I get home and take a bath with dawn or some sort of dish soap I can normally keep it localized. The key is to get the oils off your skin as fast as possible. Are you sure it was poison ivy not poison oak?

Take a hot hot bath...

Comment

I get it every year whether I need it or not around archery season. I've gotten to where I can tell that night where its going to pop up. I start dousing with Calamine lotion twice a day. It mostly relieves the itching, but still takes up to 10 days to completely clear up. After the first 3 days or so, it's just a red spot on the skin till it goes away..

Comment

Immunity systems are different for different people. Some have high immunity to it. Some have lower. I also know that the more you are exposed to it, the more likely you will have outbreaks from it. And the worse it will become over time. It is something that is built up in the bloodstream.
                            I had never had it my entire life till I was just past 40. I used to pick it, roll in it, ect, all my life till I finally came down with it on my head and hands. That's when my Dr gave me an education on it and how it affects the body. The body also remembers where it was affected last, or the first time. Once your immune system gets low enough to where you have an outbreak, your body remembers that location. And if your exposed in a different area of the body, the body sometimes reacts like it was exposed in the original location, complete with breaking out in that original location, while the new location may or may not break out.

For those who seem to never get it, your day may very well come. Just saying.

Comment

clean steering wheel, door knobs and phone. You will be surprised on how long the oil can survive on these surfaces and allowing you to keep spreading it.

Comment

Working...
                              X