Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
Rusto 23
Four Point

Hunt In: Edwards County
Default In need of some knowledge...

Hoping that you guys can help with this idea... Our property is without electricity and we are a 50 minute ride to the nearest town. With luck if we harvest a deer was wondering how to keep it in the heat? We are only hunting 2-3 days at a time. My buddy suggests running into town to get ice (using my truck). Was hoping to build something like this.... Then pack if full of ice and ice packs hoping it would keep a deer cool for a couple of days.

Thoughts?

Rusto 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
mpotts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lometa Tx

That would work great!!
mpotts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #3
gumbl3
Ten Point

Hunt In: muenster

That's an awful big space to keep cool. Why not just quarter it up and toss it in a big ice chest with some ice. Kept many critters cool that way for a week while driving back from the mountains.
gumbl3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #4
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

ice or generator and freezer
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #5
SETXoutdoorsman
Six Point

Hunt In: Brownwood, TX

My initial thought is you probably would spend as much money building that and add all the ice to fill it every trip as you would if you just bought a big yeti that will easily keep ice for days.
SETXoutdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2016, 04:49 PM   #6
Fashinghunts
Four Point

We have a small chest type freezer and a 4500 kw gas generator. When you kill a deer, turn on freezer and place quartered up deer in freezer. Within a couple hours the meat will start to harden. That's what we do. The freezer doesn't use that much power.
Fashinghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #7
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Dry Ice maybe.
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #8
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

I would just get a good Ice chest and it doesn't have to be very big to get a quartered deer in. Just pack the cooler full of ice in the bags when you go to the lease and if you kill a deer you already have the ice. Keep the ice chest in the shade and do not open other then to put the meat in it. This way the ice should easily keep on your 2-3 day hunts. I did this a lot when I had a South Texas lease but I took a 120qt cooler and that was really overkill unless I killed multiple animals. I could easily get 3 quartered deer in it with the ice. Worse case, you might need to get more ice on your trip home. If I though I would kill multiple deer, I would bring a second cooler full of ice so had extra ice to add once the ice melted that was on the deer.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #9
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
I would just get a good Ice chest and it doesn't have to be very big to get a quartered deer in. Just pack the cooler full of ice in the bags when you go to the lease and if you kill a deer you already have the ice. Keep the ice chest in the shade and do not open other then to put the meat in it. This way the ice should easily keep on your 2-3 day hunts. I did this a lot when I had a South Texas lease but I took a 120qt cooler and that was really overkill unless I killed multiple animals. I could easily get 3 quartered deer in it with the ice. Worse case, you might need to get more ice on your trip home. If I though I would kill multiple deer, I would bring a second cooler full of ice so had extra ice to add once the ice melted that was on the deer.

Yup
I always try to throw a froze. Milk jug or two in also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top