Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-20-2019, 01:18 AM   #1
DK1555
Four Point

Default CPAP Users

Did not want to hijack the so clean thread so I started a new one once i saw how many people replied to it. My wife has been begging me for the last 3 years to have a sleep study bc I gasp in the middle of the night and never wake up rested. Can sleep 10 hours and wake up tired. I kind of fear they will prescribe me a machine which is not necessarily a bad thing but I would hate to become dependent on it. My FIL swears by his and goes nowhere with out it, if he forgets it he fills like crap til he gets home. Do those of you who use one experience the same?
DK1555 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 01:41 AM   #2
Slicefixer
Four Point

Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA

Well, with the inarguable serious health dangers associated with apnea it makes no sense to go another day untested.....IMOP

If you are diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea I'll guarantee you'll feel much better post treatment. It's not a joking matter....read up on all the health destroying issues associated with apnea.

Lastly, would you rather feel consistently better using a cpap and risk feeling worse on the rare occasion you can't.....or.....almost guarantee that you'll have long term serious health issues by not using one at all???

Btw, there is a more than fair probability that you'll feel better than you have in years, maybe decades, by using one.

Last edited by Slicefixer; 10-20-2019 at 01:44 AM.
Slicefixer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 02:25 AM   #3
dac6933
Pope & Young

Do the study, What do you have to lose? Nothing bad will come out of it.
dac6933 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 08:12 AM   #4
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

If you have apnea, you will be dependent on the cpap. Willingly dependent I promise.
PM me if you want to talk about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK1555 View Post
Did not want to hijack the so clean thread so I started a new one once i saw how many people replied to it. My wife has been begging me for the last 3 years to have a sleep study bc I gasp in the middle of the night and never wake up rested. Can sleep 10 hours and wake up tired. I kind of fear they will prescribe me a machine which is not necessarily a bad thing but I would hate to become dependent on it. My FIL swears by his and goes nowhere with out it, if he forgets it he fills like crap til he gets home. Do those of you who use one experience the same?
Yes

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #6
coker737
Ten Point

Hunt In: My KB Ranch. Rocksprings, TX

Been on CPAP for 15 Years. Should have been longer but I was hard headed. I will never sleep without in now. There is serious health dangers associated with sleep apnea. Go in with an Open Mind and Get a Sleep Study.
coker737 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
stingerslinger
Four Point

Default cpap

I was very skeptical originally because it seemed that virtually everyone I knew or heard of that was tested, did have apnea, and required a cpap. No one ever came back negative. However, my nap time has decreased and energy level increased since I've been on it.
stingerslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
db@100
Eight Point

I guess they take some time to get use to. I've had mine for about 4 weeks and I'm still not use to wearing it. Maybe I toss and turn too much while I sleep but I get tangled in the hose and that wakes me up.
Good luck!
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #9
Puggy625
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, KS

Quote:
Originally Posted by db@100 View Post
I guess they take some time to get use to. I've had mine for about 4 weeks and I'm still not use to wearing it. Maybe I toss and turn too much while I sleep but I get tangled in the hose and that wakes me up.
Good luck!
I did the same when I got mine. Took me almost 6 months before I really slept all night with it. But, now, I won't go anywhere without it.
Puggy625 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:24 AM   #10
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

My HS best friend died from apnea. I've been on CPAP ever since. Been about 25 years now. I don't sleep worth a crap without it. It does make a difference.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #11
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Good luck!
Run your hose up over the head board. I used to get wrapped up in the hose, but with it hanging down from above, it hasn't happened again.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:41 AM   #12
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

I credit mine with saving my life and marriage. I go nowhere without mine. Like others have said "willingly dependent ".

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #13
Possum Fat
Ten Point

Quote:
Good luck!

I'm the same. I'm coming up on a year. I'll put it on at bedtime, sleep anywhere between 2 and 4 hours with it (according to the machine), and when I wake up in the morning, its sitting on my nightstand.

I never remember taking it off.
Possum Fat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #14
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I've had mine since 2006. Love the **** thing. Never could I imagine forgetting mine. NEVER!! It gets packed first before my clothes! I was happy that I was prescribed a machine because I knew something was bad wrong with all the headaches and the waking up choking that was going on. It was almost a sigh of relief....for me and my wife. I woke up feeling like a new man.

Bottom line....I'd rather be dependent on a machine that helps me stay alive than DEAD! Do a search on Reggie White former Packers DE. I bet he'd rather have had the machine now. Better yet ask his widow.

It took me just a couple of days to get fully used to it, but I also went in with the total mindset that this would extend/save my life and help my marriage as far as sleeping arrangements. That mindset got me used to it quick instead of a using the hardheaded easily annoyed impatient crotchity ol fart drama mentality fighting it I see so prevalent on here..

Last edited by Smart; 10-20-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:01 AM   #15
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
My HS best friend died from apnea. I've been on CPAP ever since. Been about 25 years now. I don't sleep worth a crap without it. It does make a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
Run your hose up over the head board. I used to get wrapped up in the hose, but with it hanging down from above, it hasn't happened again.
Exactly !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #16
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

The only difference between you and I, OP, is you don’t have a CPAP. We’re both dependent on it for a good nights sleep, you just don’t know it yet. Get one and live better and most importantly, longer !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #17
TheBeaster
Six Point

Hunt In: North Texas

Getting a CPAP machine was the best thing I ever did. I had extremely bad apnea and was a 10 on the loud snoring scale according to the sleep doctor. Tired all the time regardless of how many hours I “slept” at night. I slept on the couch at home for years and in my truck at the lease to keep from disturbing everyone around me.

The first time I tried it about 20 years ago, I couldn’t get use to the mask and elected to have the uvuloplasty surgery, had the “hanger-downer” in the back of my throat cut out. Extremely painful recovery (surgery combined with a nasal roto-rooter and deviated septum repair. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS SURGERY. This only worked for a few years until I gained some weight and was back to snoring again.

I had another sleep study, diagnosed again with apnea and was prescribed another CPAP machine. There’s been a lot of advancements in the masks I. The last 20 years and I was able to get use to it almost immediately. I get good rest now, get to sleep in my bed and am much happier/healthier/rested, etc. I won’t go anywhere without my CPAP again. Absolutely the best decision I ever made

My advice is to get one now,you won’t be disappointed.
TheBeaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #18
TheBeaster
Six Point

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeaster View Post
Getting a CPAP machine was the best thing I ever did. I had extremely bad apnea and was a 10 on the loud snoring scale according to the sleep doctor. Tired all the time regardless of how many hours I “slept” at night. I slept on the couch at home for years and in my truck at the lease to keep from disturbing everyone around me.

The first time I tried it about 20 years ago, I couldn’t get use to the mask and elected to have the uvuloplasty surgery, had the “hanger-downer” in the back of my throat cut out. Extremely painful recovery (surgery combined with a nasal roto-rooter and deviated septum repair. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS SURGERY. This only worked for a few years until I gained some weight and was back to snoring again.

I had another sleep study, diagnosed again with apnea and was prescribed another CPAP machine. There’s been a lot of advancements in the masks I. The last 20 years and I was able to get use to it almost immediately. I get good rest now, get to sleep in my bed and am much happier/healthier/rested, etc. I won’t go anywhere without my CPAP again. Absolutely the best decision I ever made

My advice is to get one now,you won’t be disappointed.
The only problem I had was fairly regular sinus infections. Most likely caused by not frequent enough cleanings. I got a So Clean and I don’t have that problem anymore. It seemed to work for me.
TheBeaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:57 AM   #19
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Here is a thread I started on 6/6/19. Lots of good info in it.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=733631
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #20
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

I advise everyone to try different masks. When you find the right mask you will wear it all night without tossing and turning. The one I use comes over the top of my head, and has small soft tubes that run down the side of my head, with a small silicon tube with a slit in it that fits under my nose. Allows me to be on my back or either side, though I sleep on my back since all the surgery. I will get the brand and model.

If you buy at cpap.com and buy insurance, you can return a mask if you don't like it.
double bogey is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #21
Longhorn95
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Getting my Apap 7 years ago was a game changer (life saver) for me and I have not slept once without it in that time.
Longhorn95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #22
Fargus
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt

Has anyone heard anything on this new device from Inspire? Suppose to be a deal inserted under the skin and activated by a remote just before you go to bed. If a legit option, it could be a game changer for those of us that like to do pack in hunts out west.
Fargus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #23
jnd1959
Eight Point

I've had mine for about 25 years. Even take it hunting and used it when I was clmbing. I've tried mouthpieces but they don't work for me. The setup I have weighs about 19oz and can fit in my pack easily. I have a fold up solar that will extend the battery from two nights to four and even longer if I have good sunny days. I dont have the 12 volt charging cord but it would be very handy for car camping. I've even used mine on my kayak after setting up early for ducks.

You will miss it when you don't have one. Get the test. Get the CPAP and start sleeping better.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 07:54 PM   #24
DK1555
Four Point

Guess this is hard to argue with..... Gonna get the wife give the doc a call tomorrow. One more graveyard and headed to the hill country for a few days!
DK1555 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #25
one66stang
Ten Point

Hunt In: Big Lake , Tx

Put it this way, if I have 30 mins for a nap, Ill go up stairs and put on the mask . It makes that much of a difference for me.
one66stang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 08:05 PM   #26
lostbrd
Four Point

Hunt In: Topsey

6 hrs with the machine is like 9 hours without it!
lostbrd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:15 PM   #27
Slicefixer
Four Point

Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostbrd View Post
6 hrs with the machine is like 9 hours without it!
Amen.....i can get 4 hours sometimes and feel a MILLION times better than I use to feel on 8+.....best thing is I have zero memories of waking up in the night..... Common occurrence years ago
Slicefixer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:09 PM   #28
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SW of Dallas

Best thing I ever did. Never realized how terrible I was sleeping and exactly how tired I had been until I got a CPAP.

It absolutely changed my life.
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:15 PM   #29
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Mine is considered severe, can’t nap without it but it’s good to be able to sleep. Takes getting used to but by all means keep at it till you do. You’ll never look back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXOUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 12:30 AM   #30
No-Tox
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

CPAP probably saved my life and my marriage.
No-Tox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #31
db@100
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by double bogey View Post
I advise everyone to try different masks. When you find the right mask you will wear it all night without tossing and turning. The one I use comes over the top of my head, and has small soft tubes that run down the side of my head, with a small silicon tube with a slit in it that fits under my nose. Allows me to be on my back or either side, though I sleep on my back since all the surgery. I will get the brand and model.

If you buy at cpap.com and buy insurance, you can return a mask if you don't like it.
This sounds like the same one I use.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #32
Mike Murphey
Pope & Young

The thing with CPAP is finding the right provider that will work for you and not push their companies equipment on you. The mask must fit right, PERIOD! The mask must be comfortable to wear, PERIOD! If these two items are not right you will never be happy with the CPAP. Most companies that sell the mask have no one working for them that wears the mask. I had found a sleep doctor, (now retired) that wore a CPAP and he helped me more than anyone. The companies you go to get the equipment, (mask, tubing, CPAP machine) don't know about wearing the CPAP so they don't know what you really need. Keep looking or network folks on hear that are CPAP users to get good info...
Mike Murphey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #33
Mojo
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Diego and Hondo

Get the CPAP! I needed one cause my wife couldn't sleep with my snoring and apnea. She once counted how long between gasps I took and counted 10 seconds between...she had to shake me awake cause she freaked out! Now I don't go anywhere over night without it! She lost an uncle to sleep apnea after he had a heart attack while on a fishing trip with a couple of his sons. Very sad to think that a CPAP might have saved his life.
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top