Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 10-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #1
deep n the heat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Barksdale
Default 143 eldx 6.5 not pleased

My daughters have been shooting the 143eldx for a couple of years now and I have not seen very good performance from them on deer. They have not lost a deer as they have all been good shots except for one that she shot two days in a row. They do a lot of internal damage but they do not leave a good exit hole or induce hardly any blood trail. It is not much bigger than the entrance. They have shot deer in the shoulder and behind the shoulder with about the same results. The one that ran off was hit in the shoulder as you can see from the pick but it did not even phase the deer other than a slight limp.

The deer was broad side at 60 yds. They shot a couple of big deer this weekend (mld) and you can see the exit hole in the pick with zero blood trail.

What bullet have yíall shot with good performance on whitetail?
deep n the heat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
TB80
Ten Point

Following as Iíve always heard the 6.5 eldx is great on deer.

Iíve used hornadyís american hunter 6.5 cm and it dropped a doe in its place at about 60 yards.
TB80 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:15 PM   #3
BDKeeling
Six Point

129gr Barnes LRX have worked really good for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BDKeeling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:17 PM   #4
futureagg
Eight Point

Hunt In: Deep East Tx

Here are my thoughts on the ELDX and from my experience. I had heard great things about them. So my dad and I both used them. His in 6.5cm mine in 308. We both shot deer last year. Mine at 120 yards his at 20 yards. Neither of us had exits. Both deer dropped in tracks. I have shot multiple pigs and big pigs 200+lb ones that they have dropped in their tracks. But never any blood that wouldíve been trackable.

These bullets hit HARD. But you better hope that the animal does not run or you are in trouble.

These were initially designed for long range hunting 150yards plus from a hornady rep I met.

futureagg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:20 PM   #5
deep n the heat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureagg View Post
Here are my thoughts on the ELDX and from my experience. I had heard great things about them. So my dad and I both used them. His in 6.5cm mine in 308. We both shot deer last year. Mine at 120 yards his at 20 yards. Neither of us had exits. Both deer dropped in tracks. I have shot multiple pigs and big pigs 200+lb ones that they have dropped in their tracks. But never any blood that wouldíve been trackable.

These bullets hit HARD. But you better hope that the animal does not run or you are in trouble.

These were initially designed for long range hunting 150yards plus from a hornady rep I met.

I completely agree but my worry is if the make a shot that is not perfect. I want something that is going to do damage with a blood trail.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
TxAg
Pope & Young

They work great in my 6.5 cm on pigs. Never shot a deer with one. They worked well on pronghorn last week.

My barrel is cut short and shoots them slow which I think is helpful. I've yet to recover a bullet, but I think they mushroom rather than blow up at the speeds I'm shooting.

Last edited by TxAg; 10-20-2019 at 09:23 PM.
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:21 PM   #7
JRG_80
Ten Point

Hunt In: Maverick Co.

That’s unfortunate the results that you are experiencing. I’m currently shooting the ELD-X out of my 6.5 Creed, 6.5-06, 300wm, and my 30-378....it’s been a performer on me from javi’s to Nilgai and from 50yds out to +300yds. The Accubond would be my only other suggestion. Good luck

jrg
JRG_80 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:23 PM   #8
TxAg
Pope & Young

Federal non typicals (same as blue box) do a number on them also.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #9
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

First buck wouldn’t be an ideal shot and hitting square in the shoulder most likely won’t yield a pass through. Try high shoulder shots to drop them.
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:29 PM   #10
duckhunter175
Four Point

For the 6.5CM try the 140 ELDM... its the white box, Hornady Match-- it has a thinner jacket which provides GREAT expansion on Whitetail. It's the new and improved Amax which is a phenomenal deer bullet as well.

The ELDX is supposed to have thicker jacket, which, on whitetails may not be a great thing. If you are getting small exit wounds then I'm inclined to believe you aren't getting full expansion from the ELDX on these Texas whitetail or they haven't hit bone causing them to 'break down'.

At Creedmoor velocities you won't have to worry about the ELDM 'Blowing Up' on the hide or anything like that.

I've run them (Amax/ELDM) in 6.5cm, 6.5x284 and .308 on everything from pigs to whitetail to Red Stag with great results.
duckhunter175 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:31 PM   #11
BULL21
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robert Lee

Shots seem high to expect much of a blood trail. Nice deer though.
BULL21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:32 PM   #12
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mitchell, County

Have gone to 147 ELD matches. Had a deer take an ELDX and make it about 40 yards. Honestly if i didn’t shoot the same bullets for long range as I would for hunting shoot the 140gr soft points. Somehow i feel they are way better on game just not great ballisticly
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #13
Ryanm
Four Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches, Michigan

I couldn't get the Hornady rounds to shoot consistent groups in my x-bolt 30-06. I ended up shooting Browning BXR rounds because they seemed to shoot the best. The doe I shot with it last year had an unbelievable exit wound. Same with the hog hog I shot. Switched to a Nosler BT because I was worried about damaging too much meat... If you want an exit wound and you're good with losing some meat, try the BXR.
Ryanm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:45 PM   #14
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Nosler Ballistic Tip
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:48 PM   #15
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Interesting... I have had great performance out of them
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #16
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Thats more on the shot placement. The bullet do their part. If you need more damage use eld m
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:00 PM   #17
kkp005
Eight Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Following. I’ve just shot hogs and coyotes with the eld x and nothing has moved afterwards.
The top picture is the deer she shot in the shoulder and it just pretty much blew up and didn’t penetrate? That’s pretty concerning. 6.5 creed isn’t a super high velocity round so I would think it’d penetrate better than that
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:07 PM   #18
ShoootLow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Most of Texas

I have nothing but good things to say about the Hornady BTHP despite reading otherwise on here. Significant exit hole and most go less then 40-50 yards.
ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:23 PM   #19
TCB
Ten Point

I’ve used them since they first hit the market. I’ve killed oryx, elk, whitetail and pigs with them. I think it’s a good bullet on bigger animals but me and my buddy have seen similar results enough times that we’re both done with it. I’ve gone back to Sierra Gameking 140gr bullets with phenomenal results. Killed 10 animals between myself and my son last year with most DRT. Not to mention they’re way more economical to shoot.
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:26 PM   #20
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Try the 140gr BTHP I’ve had great results with them from my .260 when I do take Lung shots the preform perfect even at 325yards.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:27 PM   #21
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoootLow View Post
I have nothing but good things to say about the Hornady BTHP despite reading otherwise on here. Significant exit hole and most go less then 40-50 yards.
Same results Iíve had with them.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:38 PM   #22
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB View Post
Iíve used them since they first hit the market. Iíve killed oryx, elk, whitetail and pigs with them. I think itís a good bullet on bigger animals but me and my buddy have seen similar results enough times that weíre both done with it. Iíve gone back to Sierra Gameking 140gr bullets with phenomenal results. Killed 10 animals between myself and my son last year with most DRT. Not to mention theyíre way more economical to shoot.
You didn't say what the problem was. Do you find them too tough or too frangible?
Old 10-20-2019, 10:38 PM   #23
eteranch
Six Point

Hunt In: Comanche County

I've had good luck with these, HSM GameKing 140 Grain Sierra GameKing.

Nothing fancy but they have done the job on deer and pigs.
eteranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:38 PM   #24
Raypo
Pope & Young

I guess as long as they are all dead.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:41 PM   #25
DocHolliday
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

Personally (small sample size, but with the animals I have personally killed) I think the high end hunting bullets are just too tough for our thin skinned whitetails and they just donít expand. The technology and weight retention in these bullets are great, but they zip right through a 100lb hill country whitetail. Iíve had better blood with basic soft points, core-lokts, federal fusion, etc. Also had good luck with S&B 140 gr soft points in 6.5 (about $13.50/box) on a couple hogs. Going to try it on deer this year as well.
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:44 PM   #26
Trailerman3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason,Gibtown,Rocksprings

I shoot the 143 eldx and have had good luck but no exit on only a couple shots but dropped in tracks. I also shoot the hornady black 140bthp cheaper and shoot the same group and point of impact as the eldx out of my guns. I’ve shot with the blacks- deer,hogs,red stag,axis,and blackbuck all with a exit.
Trailerman3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:46 PM   #27
DWA
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palo pinto Johnson counties and Sonora

That's crazy I've shot tons of animals and my kids have shot deer deer from 100-350yds and never had a blood trail that Ronnie milsap couldnt follow. I will say I shoot them because they are literally more accurate than most ammo out of my guns.
DWA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:47 PM   #28
hybridhunternm
Six Point

Hunt In: WACO TX, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
Personally (small sample size, but with the animals I have personally killed) I think the high end hunting bullets are just too tough for our thin skinned whitetails and they just donít expand. The technology and weight retention in these bullets are great, but they zip right through a 100lb hill country whitetail. Iíve had better blood with basic soft points, core-lokts, federal fusion, etc. Also had good luck with S&B 140 gr soft points in 6.5 (about $13.50/box) on a couple hogs. Going to try it on deer this year as well.
I would agree with this statement. Most Texas shots are at small whitetail and at distances well under 100 yards. This is not what the eldx, bergers, or accubond was designed for. Those are more geared towards longer range hunting with larger game animals than we typically have in Texas. Good shot placement is always key and can compensate for incorrect bullet selection but under 100 with small whitetail a soft point will hammer
hybridhunternm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:50 PM   #29
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
I tend to agree with you but the Fusion is a bonded bullet. And the eld-x is not particularly tough...it should work at close range.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:00 PM   #30
kingranch
Ten Point

Eldx just like the vldx
Look up what it stands for.. in my opinion you should use a different bullet for close shots
Those r long distance bullets
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:31 PM   #31
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

I'm sure Remington makes a 6.5 in a core lokt bullet. Might try ole faithful and go from there.
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:36 PM   #32
mzurovec
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet

I like SSTs for everything under 200 yards. I have had the best luck on dropping critters on the spot with these and generally get an exit. The 123s out of my Grendel have been outstanding.
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:40 PM   #33
m10
Four Point

Hunt In: East, South, hill country

American whitetail 129gr works great.
237yd shot on an Aoudad. Pass thru and dropped in his tracks.
m10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:42 PM   #34
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB80 View Post
Following as Iíve always heard the 6.5 eldx is great on deer.

Iíve used hornadyís american hunter 6.5 cm and it dropped a doe in its place at about 60 yards.

X2 on the Hornady American Whitetail. My nephew shoots the 129 grain and it groups fantastic and hes even shot 4Ē plates at 300 yards through Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM. And hes only 13 years old.

Killed an axis doe at 215 yards, dropped like a sack of potatoes with a good exit hole.

bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 12:09 AM   #35
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher Man View Post
I'm sure Remington makes a 6.5 in a core lokt bullet. Might try ole faithful and go from there.

I donít understand why people overthink bullets for whitetail so often.

Get some core lokts, nosler parts, or other soft nosed bullets...and go kill stuff!

Last edited by Dale Moser; 10-21-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 06:27 AM   #36
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

I've killed several deer with 143 ELDX out of my .264 Win Mag, all at 100yds or less. Everyone of them blew up and gave no exit.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 07:04 AM   #37
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep n the heat View Post
I completely agree but my worry is if the make a shot that is not perfect. I want something that is going to do damage with a blood trail.
They look like Dead Deer to me.......

A bad shot is a bad shot. Doesn't matter if its a 22lr or a 300 Win Mag.
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #38
mkk
Eight Point

I'm working on a Barnes 120g TSX load. I've got a few more tweaks to get it tightened up. Should be running around 2800 fps when done
mkk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 07:36 AM   #39
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

Get some core lokts, nosler parts, or other soft nosed bullets...and go kill stuff!

Gota agree...They all kill..if ya hit them where ya supposed to....
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #40
Raypo
Pope & Young

I’m referring to the performance on many species. Whitetails are my test subjects. I personally care so much because I want to ensure good performance on an opportunity of a lifetime and of course a clean kill on a big animal.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #41
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

Quote:

This. Itís really simple
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #42
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
Nosler Ballistic Tip
This is what I switched to and have been really happy with them
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 08:45 AM   #43
futureagg
Eight Point

Hunt In: Deep East Tx

Quote:

Because everyone wants the heart shot. We have become so custom to having sub-moa or sub-half moa rifles thats what we want in our hunting ammo. Because how confident does it make people feel when they are printing clover leafs at 100 yards the week before they go hunt. Hornady has done a great job designing the accuracy of this ammo, but it just doesn't suit our purpose here in Texas 90% of the time.

The ELDX shoots lights out for my rifle, but after going through 2 deer and only finding shrapnel I won't be using them again.
futureagg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 08:50 AM   #44
db@100
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
This is what I switched to and have been really happy with them
My choice for elk, mule deer, and whitetail out of my .280
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #45
deep n the heat
Ten Point

I agree with most of the comments on this thread. After shooting probably 8-10 animals with these and all of the same results I am not disputing the killing power and internal damage they have caused. We have shot deer from 120lbs to a 225lb deer this weekend and they have had identical results, dead deer with no blood.

Since the 6.5 has become very popular they have started stocking a wider variety of bullets and that is why I asked the question of what has performed as I asked with good external and internal damage.

I think some of the manufacturers want to make something different for the sake of being different and not what performs on actual game. Thanks for all of the replies.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #46
Big Red 82
Ten Point

Same problem here for me. I shot a doe same ammo. She ran off no blood we looked and looked circle walked covered 4 or 500 yards. 2 days. And the next weekend buzzards showed us where she was. I didn’t get the heart she was lung shot prolly 1000 yards from where I shot her. No more eldx for me. I do love my 6.5 though.
Big Red 82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 09:43 AM   #47
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

I know I am going to get flamed for this but I have gone back to Core Lokt's for when I am shooting deer. All the ammo that I have tried several different brands, types and grains of ammo but I have never gotten a consistent exit wound that left a good blood trail. I will say that damage has been out of this world with the ELDX, SST, etc. and the animal did not go far but if I made less than stellar shot then I think I would have been SOL.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #48
PROD49
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

While I love the way it shoots in my gun I haven't had the best of luck with getting good pass through on my 7MM on Elk, 6.5, or .270 on Axis. It doesn't seem to do the same internal damage as non ballistic tip bullets...IN MY EXPERIENCE. That said I have moved my wife and kids back to Remington Core Lokt with better results
PROD49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #49
Chad C
Pope & Young

For hunting... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010514260 Load them up and kill some critters!
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #50
skelsey
Four Point

Can’t go wrong with core lokts! soft point for pass thru and blood!
skelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top