Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 08-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default What the word on Christensen Arms?

I’m looking into getting a lightweight .308. I went to the gun store today and handled a Christensen Arms Ridgeline. I loved the feel and balance of the rifle but wonder what the green screen says about quality and accuracy.

Does anyone have some real world info on these rifles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 06:27 PM   #2
roughneck266
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bustling metropolis of Votaw

Shot several of them. They are good accurate rifles. Not cheap, not what I would call expensive either, but they are good quality.
roughneck266 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 09:17 PM   #3
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

I have a ridgeline in 28 Nosler. It had several issues with the 1st one I got. Sent it back twice and on the 2nd time they put 4 or 5 barrels on it before I blew a gasket because they had it for months and it was obvious something else was wrong besides the barrel. They finally just sent me a new rifle. This one is much better. With that being said, if you have the money to spend on a Ridgeline, add a little to it even if it means selling another gun that just sits in the safe and get Robert at APR to build you one. They are light years ahead of Christensen.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 09:38 PM   #4
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Default What the word on Christensen Arms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
I have a ridgeline in 28 Nosler. It had several issues with the 1st one I got. Sent it back twice and on the 2nd time they put 4 or 5 barrels on it before I blew a gasket because they had it for months and it was obvious something else was wrong besides the barrel. They finally just sent me a new rifle. This one is much better. With that being said, if you have the money to spend on a Ridgeline, add a little to it even if it means selling another gun that just sits in the safe and get Robert at APR to build you one. They are light years ahead of Christensen.

Really? Are you saying that even the entry level apr is better than the Christensen??

Old 08-26-2019, 09:56 PM   #5
ColinR
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
Really? Are you saying that even the entry level apr is better than the Christensen??

In my opinion, absolutely without a doubt. After having both, I would take an entry level APR over Christensen’s most high end any day. If fact, even the new rifle Christensen sent me still didn’t shoot as well as I would like it to. It barely meet there 1” 3 shot group at 100 yards, and was about 2.5 at 200. I took it to APR and had them fully glass bed it and it is a shooter now thanks to APR.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:57 PM   #6
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Quote:
IMO, 99 times out of 100, a truly custom built rifle will be better (fit, finish, accuracy) than a mass production “semi-custom” factory rifle.
Cajun Blake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 10:09 PM   #7
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
IMO, 99 times out of 100, a truly custom built rifle will be better (fit, finish, accuracy) than a mass production “semi-custom” factory rifle.

Quote:
In my opinion, absolutely without a doubt. After having both, I would take an entry level APR over Christensen’s most high end any day. If fact, even the new rifle Christensen sent me still didn’t shoot as well as I would like it to. It barely meet there 1” 3 shot group at 100 yards, and was about 2.5 at 200. I took it to APR and had them fully glass bed it and it is a shooter now thanks to APR.

What was the wait time for your rifles?

Old 08-26-2019, 10:14 PM   #8
ColinR
Pope & Young

7 months for mine but I was part of the group buy so I think it took longer than there normal turn around. You would have to call up there and ask what there normal time is.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:21 PM   #9
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Quote:
Was this handloaded ammo or factory?

Shooting like that, I can’t see any reason to buy a semi custom over any of the factory rifles with a MOA guarantee.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 10:32 PM   #10
ColinR
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
Was this handloaded ammo or factory?

Shooting like that, I can’t see any reason to buy a semi custom over any of the factory rifles with a MOA guarantee.
Factory. And a couple rounds I had hand loaded for the first one. After one trip to the range it went to APR for the bedding job. Seems a bit ridiculous that you have to take a $2k semi custom rifle to a gun smith to make it shoot good. And I agree just go get a Savage 110 / 116 or Tika if your not going to get a full custom.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:53 PM   #11
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

The Bergara HMR would be my choice in the $1k~ Range. I could be way off, but they seem like they have a lot of features for the money
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 10:59 PM   #12
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
What was the wait time for your rifles?
Wait time or turnaround is based on several factors:

- the gunsmiths current workload
- do you already have the components (action, barrel, bottom metal, stock)
- are you ordering a custom stock, action, or barrel

FYI - I’ve purchased parts separately and delivered them to my GS who built my custom rifle in 2-3 weeks. I’ve also ordered a Manners stock that took 9 months to deliver. I’ve waited 6 months for a bedding job. If you buy the parts separately, that’s less time and money the GS has to invest in the project.

There are dozens of places today where you can buy components off the shelf and they’re mailed directly to you, your FFL, or your GS. You need to do your homework and ask your chosen GS how they prefer to do business.

I’ve been consulting on custom rifle builds for close to 30 years and can give you a list of dozens of GS’s. My advice, do lots of research, be a sponge, and remember “there are no stupid questions”. Call Robert @ APR along with several other GS’s and discuss your intended build. Chose who you feel most comfortable with and provides you with great customer service

Feel free to Pm me with any ?’s
Old 08-26-2019, 11:28 PM   #13
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

In my experience they are great rifles. I do not own one personally but I’ve shot and handled the ridgeline and classic. The ridgeline is a 7mag my father owns that is his mountain rifle and it shoots 150-168gr bullets great, plenty well enough to make ethical shots to 6-700yds. The classic is a .375 H&h that belongs to my brother. It shoots better than any other .375 I have seen or handled.

One thing to keep in mind is they are a smaller production line arms maker, not a custom gunsmith. I wouldn’t let the negative comments scare you away. I’m a big savage fan and this is what I would go with if I couldn’t go with savage, before I forked over the money for a custom rifle.
diamond10x is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 10:42 AM   #14
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

I have the Christensen Mesa Bronze in 6.5 PRC and I am extremely pleased with the rifle. The fit and finish is excellent, the trigger is excellent and the accuracy is excellent as well. I mounted the Sig 3-10X42 BDX scope on it and with handloaded 130 Accubonds or 130 Scirocco's, I'm getting .5 MOA groups and 3100 fps. The factory 143 ELD-X's are shooting about.75 MOA. Using the Kilo rangefinder I've been dead on at 660 yards. That's as far as I've taken it so far.

The bolt knob is a little small, but that's an easy fix.
SabreKiller is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 11:43 AM   #15
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Take a look at the Seekins Havak for a 7lb factory rifle that shoots **** well. Roughly $1800ish. I’ve only shot full customs for the past 6ish years until I snagged a Havak last year.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 11:45 AM   #16
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX

Check out LaRue
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #17
gfulton
Six Point

Just go with APR and be done with it!!
gfulton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #18
raw10628
Ten Point

I own two Christensen Rifles a Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC and a Mesa Long Range in 300WM and they both shoot lights out sub MOA as long as I do my part. Both with factory ammo. I have two other hunting buddies that own the Ridgeline and they have had the same experience as mine with their rifles. I would absolutely buy another one no questions asked.

I was late on the group buy for the carbon build with APR and thought about paying full price for one of their rifles, but just couldn't pony up the extra $1k. For what you're looking for the Christensen sounds like it should fit the bill. If you have the money and can justify the added expense go with the APR.
raw10628 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #19
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Is there any chance that any negativity coming towards these rifles are from guys that are throwing 5k or more at custom builds?

Old 08-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #20
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Is there any chance that any negativity coming towards these rifles are from guys that are throwing 5k or more at custom builds?

Old 08-28-2019, 09:50 AM   #21
tanto
Ten Point

Hunt In: Paducah, Rocksprings

Mine shoots just fine, no issues. Just like any mass production item, you’ll get good ones and bad ones. I wouldn’t be hesitant to purchase another one based on my experience. 20” 6.5CM with 135 Bergers, 3 shot @ 100 yds.

tanto is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 11:14 AM   #22
ColinR
Pope & Young

Quote:

Can't speak for others but I'm not. When I got mine it was by far the most expensive rifle I ever had. Now the most expensive is the APR i just got and its only a few hundred $ more than the Christensen. Even before I got the APR I had decided it was not worth the money for a Christensen. I have several $500 - $800 rifles that shoot better than the Christensen before I had it bedded. But like others said its a production rifle coming off an assembly line so some will be great and some not. If you get one that is not great you have to fight tooth and nail to get them to make it right. Granted they could have told me to pound sand as I had disclosed that I had shoot reloads thru it and that voids the warranty, but after many phone calls and emails they did finally send me a new rifle.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #23
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Flash, I just got this email with Christensen deals and thought of you: https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...ampaign=082719
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 11:20 AM   #24
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Is there any chance that any negativity coming towards these rifles are from guys that are throwing 5k or more at custom build ?
I don't see any negativity, just people stating facts based on their experience having owned a Christensen or having built a custom rifle. I've built/owned probably 50 custom rifles and the most I ever spent was $3100 on a full blown benchrest rifle. Custom rifles with a trued 700 action, match grade barrel, and an HS Precision stock can be built for $1500 all day long. If you decide on a custom action, CF barrel, and HS stock you can build a rifle for $2500.

GS's such as Jarrett, Sisk, GAP, McWhorter, HCR, MG Arms, etc... are the ones charging $5K and people with limited rifle building experience are the one's paying these asking prices. Kenny Jarrett was a master at marketing his 280 Ackley Improved "beanfield rifle" 30 years ago. He found a clientele (doctors, lawyers, dentists, etc...) that had $5,000 to spend on a Jarrett built rifle. Other GS's followed his lead with marketing and asking high prices. Jarrett figured it was easier to sell 100 rifles at $5,000 vs. selling 250 rifles at $2,000.

I don't tell people how to spend their hard earned money. If they have the funds and want a rifle built by ( fill in the blank ) then go for it. My philosophy is educating the newcomer to custom rifle builds, component prices, where to shop for available components, and options that may be best suited for their dream rifle build.

FWIW, the CA Ridgeline is a great value priced semi-custom rifle at $1800-$2000. The same rifle can be built for $2500 yet with everything exactly how you want it (stock and metal finish/color).
Old 08-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #25
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Quote:
I don't see any negativity, just people stating facts based on their experience having owned a Christensen or having built a custom rifle. I've built/owned probably 50 custom rifles and the most I ever spent was $3100 on a full blown benchrest rifle. Custom rifles with a trued 700 action, match grade barrel, and an HS Precision stock can be built for $1500 all day long. If you decide on a custom action, CF barrel, and HS stock you can build a rifle for $2500.

GS's such as Jarrett, Sisk, GAP, McWhorter, HCR, MG Arms, etc... are the ones charging $5K and people with limited rifle building experience are the one's paying these asking prices. Kenny Jarrett was a master at marketing his 280 Ackley Improved "beanfield rifle" 30 years ago. He found a clientele (doctors, lawyers, dentists, etc...) that had $5,000 to spend on a Jarrett built rifle. Other GS's followed his lead with marketing and asking high prices. Jarrett figured it was easier to sell 100 rifles at $5,000 vs. selling 250 rifles at $2,000.

I don't tell people how to spend their hard earned money. If they have the funds and want a rifle built by ( fill in the blank ) then go for it. My philosophy is educating the newcomer to custom rifle builds, component prices, where to shop for available components, and options that may be best suited for their dream rifle build.

FWIW, the CA Ridgeline is a great value priced semi-custom rifle at $1800-$2000. The same rifle can be built for $2500 yet with everything exactly how you want it (stock and metal finish/color).

Do you know someone in the Houston area capable of building a full custom for 2-2.5k?

Old 08-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #26
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Do you know someone in the Houston area capable of building a full custom for 2-2.5k?
my suggestion, don't limit yourself to geography since you will reduce the number of qualified GS's that can build you a badarse rifle. Call Robert at APR along with other GS's and decide who can build what you want, for the price you want. Ask questions since they may already have something on the shelf to complete your build

If you buy the components separately, you can mail them to your chosen GS regardless if he lives in Houston or Seattle, WA.

hope that helps
Old 08-28-2019, 12:39 PM   #27
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I looked at a couple before ordering my APR on the first buy. What was in stock at a friends shop just didn't trip my trigger. He shoots one and loves it
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #28
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Henly

These days I can justify either a $500 mess-around gun, or a full custom APR. Everything in between feels like a waste of money. It isn't just right, and it's too expensive not to be.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 06:18 PM   #29
kck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Maverick County

Quote:

These words are 110% true. You may have some negativity from guys that, in my humble opinion, threw an extra 1-3k at a gun and want to believe that it’ll shoot better than a cheaper build with the same components just because they wrote a bigger check.
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 08:02 PM   #30
raiderholic
Four Point

Have 2 Christiansen’s. They shoot real good. I have 4 APR they shoot lights out.
raiderholic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 08:15 PM   #31
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I’ve had a handful of full customs that shoot lights out. Ranging from $2400-4700. I’ve shot A Ridgeline. It shot ok, but nothing special. I’ve shot 6 different Seekins Havaks so far, and everyone shot as well as any of my customs. I regularly stretch my Havak out with excellent results. I considered a Ridgeline for a bit, but couldn’t pull the trigger. Too many questionable experiences, and my own didn’t exactly wow me. This time last year if you asked me would I own a rifle other than a full custom I’d have laughed in your face. I’m currently looking to pick up another Havak.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 09:17 PM   #32
Buzzsaw
Six Point

Hunt In: Frio County

looking at a SPR in 300 PRC, little over $2,000. leaves me $2,000 for scope
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 10:40 PM   #33
ScottFW
Four Point

Hunt In: Flomot, Menard, Decatur, New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
These days I can justify either a $500 mess-around gun, or a full custom APR. Everything in between feels like a waste of money. It isn't just right, and it's too expensive not to be.
Exactly.
ScottFW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #34
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Different strokes, for different folks. As a gun owner, hunter, and a person that has experienced the entire cycle of maturing through $300 packaged out of the box rifles to custom rifles, I find it to be solid advice to skip the first 30 years of poor decisions. Not to say that an out of the box purchase is a bad financial decision. BUT it’s a gamble with precision. However precision is only part of it. I occasionally will grab a stock out of the box rifle from the safe and knock the dust off. I quickly realize at moderate distance the comfort is hindering precision as much as the rifle is. If I was to start all over with the same experiences I have now, I would ever purchase an out of the box gun. I would pick 4-5 platforms that range from bench guns (range fun), mountain (lightweight), and calibers (various game) and build a rifle in each.

There is a saying, “be careful for the guy with only rifle” for a reason, so I would attempt to stay within this mindset. I’m far from that today, with dozens of rifles that will never be fired by me ever again.

I also understand the idea of piecing together build and hand selecting each component, sourcing out the best deal for each, and then having a builder assemble. I’m just personally not that guy, I’m ok with the gun maker making some money off me because I’m going to want to talk about every component. In addition, if something fails, and I provided the parts the warranty is somewhat wonky. Purely my preference, and I’m not going to build 50 custom rifles. If I was, I would be MUCH more price conscious. In summary, I would find a builder you like, and build a rifle that fits your needs.

Contrary to all of this- I recently (2 or so years ago) purchased a RPR in a .308, and it was ok for an out of the box rifle. At 100 yards it was 1 hole, and 6 it would open up, a little. I had a bartlein barrel put on it in a CM, and it shoots as well as a $5,000 custom rifle. It didn’t at first, but with some love, it’s a 1,000 yard gun.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 10:43 PM   #35
m714
Nubbin' Buck

I've purchased 3 Christensen rifles

300NM MPR- This thing is a tack driver with the ABM ammo. 1/2 MOA rifle.

6.5 PRC MPR - Very accurate as well. .75 MOA average though probably more due to me than rifle

300 WM Ridgeline - very picky on ammo. I tried 5 different brands before trying some Berger factory loaded 215gr ammo and it loves that. 1/2 MOA.

I know some have reported issues with their Christensens. I think some of that is that the ones happy with their rifles don't go posting about it. But I do also think Christensen has shown some customer service failures when people have had issues.

One other thing, the actions on the Christensen are not as smooth as you would expect at this price point. My $550 Tikka T3x 300 WSM is much smoother, as is my TAC A1. The Christensen is rumored to do better after some use but I haven't sat and cycled the bolt like others have just to try and smooth it out.
m714 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 11:20 PM   #36
Rakkasan2187
Ten Point

Mine shoot's pretty awesome. I have no issues with it.
Rakkasan2187 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #37
Booger74
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Picked up a Mesa 6.5 PRC two weeks ago and love it! It shoots better than I can and really looking forward to getting it out to 600. Great trigger, and action for a stock rifle.
Booger74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top