No announcement yet.

Fall Food plot plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just disc’d and played yesterday. Approx 5 acres with its and wheat mix. Threw in some peas, radish and whatever else I found at tractor supply clearance rack last year

Comment

Lot of manual work yesterday...

Comment

Planted oats, and TSC mixes yesterday. My twin 10 year olds helped seed and fertilize the plot. Should be fun if the neighbors cows don’t bust the fence this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
          Don, I found this guy not far from here. He is asking 3400 obo. I like the 3 point hitch but not the price.

[ATTACH]973918[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]973919[/ATTACH]
          I’m with you on the price, but it looks to be in good shape. I couldn’t use one over 8’ wide or I’d never get it to my plots. I don’t know if I have enough sense to operate and maintain a sho-nuff drill.

Comment

Poor man's plot, rye with a little wheat mixed in. No till.

Comment

I got my Sanctuary plot put in last Sunday. Forgot to take a picture.... it’s dry at our place. Zero rain in September at our lease. This plot was 2 acres.

I also got the lanes and ditches planted at clearcut spot. About .5 acre. Wheat, oats and a clover mix for the lanes. I have about 1.5 acres left to do here. I have some Johnson grass growing in the big field so there is a potential great thatch layer. Will try the throw and mow method. Waiting on a good forecast of rain!

Comment

Tried the Throw and Mow method before this last big rain. We will see what happens. Super THICK! I am skeptical and will post update in a month or so.
                Attached Files

Comment

I'm planting this weekend. Finally got a little rain this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Plan B View Post
                    Tried the Throw and Mow method before this last big rain. We will see what happens. Super THICK! I am skeptical and will post update in a month or so.
                    I think you will be surprised. I got great results last year.

I got caught up moving round bales out the field until dark for the last 2 days, and didn't get to throw and mow ahead of this rain! I will post pics when I get round to it.

Comment

Breck and I planted Sept. 22 and caught our first measurable rain last Friday and another shower yesterday.

I plant the same seed every year that includes: Winter Peas, Oats, Rape, Chicory, 3 blend clovers, vetch and purple top turnips. These seeds are not mixed up in a blend due to the different plant depths needed.

I will be heading to the river after work today to get in a sit with the north wind. Hopefully I will notice a green tint to the plots....and will get progress photos.

A few photos of the Sept. 22 seed slinging day.

Best of luck to all.

Rwc
                      Attached Files

Comment

Got mine in the ground Saturday and only got barely enough rain to settle the dust

Comment

NASA we have lift off. The 2" rain total across my river grounds has most of my plots starting to turn a little green. These are from yesterday afternoon.

Best of luck to all.

Rwc
                          Attached Files

Comment

14 days growth @ dairy plot #1

100# per acre “top notch”
                            25# forage oats
                            1.5# brassicas along border

This plot was 10’ tall mullet. I sprayed and left dead for about a month. Rolled it to make a mat and broadcast straight on top. DONE

had less than 2” rain in 90 days.

I used same mix, different fertilizer @ “the cotton mouth”. But shredded the duff vs rolled. It wasn’t as thick. So far I think the dairy was TOO thick. Still early. Haven’t checked others
                            Attached Files

Comment

Growing good if I can keep the pigs out of it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Got mine in the ground, I hope we get rain soon

Comment

Working...
                                X