Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RMW View Post
    Are you going to mount him ?
    Just shoot what is a trophy TO YOU.... You are the only one that matters.

I love it when someone shoots even a small buck on my place when they're excited.

Do not shoot it if you won't be proud of it. I think most young guys eventually learn this.

Comment

I have been on the same place for 30 years. Probably only killed 30 bucks all hunters combined and it is still a rare occasion when I see a 135 or better. You shoot him with a trad bow or see the smile on your wife's face then it's all good

Comment

I've never been able to eat horns, I hunt to put meat in freezer, if it happens to have a nice rack so be it, but to each his own, good hunting.

God Bless
        Bish

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
          Shoot what you want and never second guess letting a buck walk. Shoot him if it means something to you......if it doesnt let it walk and see what happens.
          Yep!

If it blows your skirt up shoot it. You know

I ve gotten to where it has to be certain brow tines, g tine length or I'm gonna just watch. Not that mad at em anymore. Prolly not a deer on our place that will meet my expectations.

Plenty of fun just being out there now a days.

Comment

Originally posted by Bish View Post
            I've never been able to eat horns, I hunt to put meat in freezer, if it happens to have a nice rack so be it, but to each his own, good hunting.

God Bless
            Bish

Doe meat taste better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have one really good neighbor, and one that's going to shoot what they want. It's a gamble but we've let several walk that we got burned on, but also several that made it through. Good luck with your decision.

Comment

This happened to our group as well. I had several deer under my stand during archery season and let them walk because they need another year of growth. Then go down to the local feed store to see that our neighbor shot it opening rifle season. Low fence is free game and it can be frustrating.

Comment

I would let him walk

Comment

It's hunting and everyone has a different view on it. Some shoot for inches, some just for antlers, and some for meat. If it makes you happy then shoot it, but if it's gonna cause you regret or stress or disappointment in any way then DON'T.... Life is too short and hunting is too much fun (should be) to let stress take part in it.
                    If the neighbor gets him then oh well...on to the next one. Just part of this game we play.

Comment

For me it boils down to a person's initial choice of the type of lease they choose to hunt on.

IF you are mainly wanting to hunt in a laid back atmosphere, get some meat, and let everyone shoot what they want then join a lease that is in an area and set up to operate in that manner. My Dad always told me "if you want to kill a big deer you have to hunt where their are big deer" - same with fishing or anything else.

If you are a trophy hunter and enjoy trying to manage and grow old trophies then join a lease that is set up like that in an area that has big deer.

The issues always arise when someone chooses a lease that is contrary to how they really want to hunt.
                      Last edited by Huntingfool; 10-16-2019, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                        For me it boils down to a person's initial choice of the type of lease they choose to hunt on.

IF you are mainly wanting to hunt in a laid back atmosphere, get some meat, and let everyone shoot what they want then join a lease that is in an area and set up to operate in that manner. My Dad always told me "if you want to kill a big deer you have to hunt where their are big deer" - same with fishing or anything else.

If you are a trophy hunter and enjoy trying to manage and grow old trophies then join a lease that is set up like that in an area that has big deer.

The issues always arise when someone chooses a lease that is contrary to how they really want to hunt.

That was well said....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post

Every body wants to shoot a big deer seems like but most don’t have the patience are will power to wait them out . They all say yeah all I want to shoot is a trophy 5.5 year old are older but come back to camp with a 3.5 are 4.5 year old decent buck each his own I guess. But to grow your potential of your area you have to feed and let them get of age that’s the bottom line .

Comment

I get the point and personally I’m not shooting a deer because I’m worried the neighbors will get it. They have to be mature.

However. That’s not the best pics to judge by but that deer doesn’t look all that young. The likelihood of a 5 year old scoring 110 (prob 115) getting to 140 is pretty slim.
                            Last edited by JeffK; 10-16-2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              Just shoot what is a trophy TO YOU.... You are the only one that matters.

I love it when someone shoots even a small buck on my place when they're excited.

Do not shoot it if you won't be proud of it. I think most young guys eventually learn this.
                              Yep everyone has their own idea what a trophy is. Shoot was makes you happy as long as it’s legal

Comment

Working...
                              X