Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hill Country Jawbone (need age opinions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 tops imo

Comment

As a general rule, deer in the hill country are usually about a year older than their appearance suggests as their bodies are just smaller, etc. Obviously there are exceptions, but that's a guideline.

I'd also guess that buck at 5.

Comment

Yep 4

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          Then why the need to respond?? Everyone knows it is not a perfect science, but it will dang sure get you close and help in the building of one's knowledge base...

OP, I agree with the others, that it is a mature deer in the range of 5 1/2 years old.
          Charlie did you get your coffee this morning?

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
            Charlie did you get your coffee this morning?
            Yea, but then I opened that dang saltwater fishin' thread!!

Comment

Being that I’m fairly new to the Hill Country hunting game....less than 5yrs, I really appreciate all of you guys input. I’m from Louisiana and have spent my whole life hunting Mississippi River deer, which is an entirely different ballgame! I feel like I’m a fairly skilled hunter and a pretty decent judge of age on deer, but man these Hill Country deer puzzle me!....I haven’t quite figured them out yet and Im really enjoying learning them! Using my own experiences and with looking at them in person and also using the dentine method to age his jawbone I put him at 5-6yrs old, so it’s nice to see that I was at least in the ballpark! Thanks again for the input guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

5.5 easy

Comment

5 to me

Comment

4.5-5.5

Comment

4...….

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Southernhunters View Post
                            Being that I’m fairly new to the Hill Country hunting game....less than 5yrs, I really appreciate all of you guys input. I’m from Louisiana and have spent my whole life hunting Mississippi River deer, which is an entirely different ballgame! I feel like I’m a fairly skilled hunter and a pretty decent judge of age on deer, but man these Hill Country deer puzzle me!....I haven’t quite figured them out yet and Im really enjoying learning them! Using my own experiences and with looking at them in person and also using the dentine method to age his jawbone I put him at 5-6yrs old, so it’s nice to see that I was at least in the ballpark! Thanks again for the input guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Well you have a good attitude about it. Hill country deer can be really tough to age on the hoof. Deer in one area of the hill country may not age the same as another area. Guys I know that do this stuff for a living think deer in our area are the toughest of all to age on the hoof. Tricky stuff. As far as the teeth go, all we can tell you is what the teeth show “by the book” which in your case is 5.5. However, it is my firm belief that teeth don’t really mean squat. Your best info will come from history with your deer.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X