Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-30-2019, 11:28 PM   #2201
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post

6 point for the taxidermist no doubt
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 11:32 PM   #2202
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
Dang you should have asked age please , 98 percent would have said 4 ... good to see you back amigo
he may be just three since he is only a 6pt
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 12:27 AM   #2203
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Good grief, thatís a dream buck in my opinion...old as dirt and a 6 to boot? Yeah, a true trophy to me. I just told T-Roy66 today about a big 6 that we were all chasing a few years ago in Polk County that slipped by all of us...I hope to see LDPís of someone with that old bruiser but if he dies of old age, heís earned it
TxDispatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #2204
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.

Thatís a cool old buck GG, i have one real similar in cass co. Iím gonna go after this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 05:23 PM   #2205
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
dads doing fine. Waiting for me to find him the right deer to hunt. He's pretty spoiled. Things are heating up a little.
Very happy to hear that.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 07:02 AM   #2206
ethic1
Eight Point

Glad to see you back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ethic1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 10:00 AM   #2207
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Steve, dust settles a bit 'round the office here, I'm gonna drive up and buy you lunch in Kennard! My turn. We can do a little catchin' up! I gotta get an up date on your BB gun!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 11:12 AM   #2208
DedDuk
Four Point

Hunt In: East and West TX

Quote:
Make Em Stir!

Years ago, toward the end of season, we would do organized drives in the many DCNF thickets. It was lots of fun with as many as 25 hunters on holidays but usually a dozen or so. We could often push really large blocks of thicket and this was one of those times that two groups of us joined up. It seems I was always in charge of placing standers and driving as I was usually tagged out by then. We would push the thick stuff shooting a pistol into the ground when we knew we had deer moving.

There was a lady with us that had a little boy. If I remember right, he was 6 but small for his age. Now this was a hunting family and its possible the kid is on this forum and 30 years old now. He had a little single shot 20 guage with the ejector broke so he only had one shoot. I put him in the best spot with his mother near by and told him not to leave that spot.

I went around and started the drive with 3 drivers. Within minutes we jumped a bunch of deer and we got them headed out. As we got closer to the end of the push, there were two shots about 10 seconds apart. A short time later there was a pistol shot ahead of me and when I got there a friend(dale) had a 16 inch 8pt that he had just finished off. Darn nice deer. I asked him about the initial two shots and he said he had only fired one and that he thought the kid had shot and turned the buck his way. I went on out and the boy was standing right where I left him. I asked if he shot and he said he had shot a big ten point but it ran off. He said that he saw some does and got ready, then he saw a big buck and was about to shoot when he saw a bigger buck coming and that's the 10pt he shot at.

He pointed where the deer was and a quick search revealed hair from the buckshot and a few flecks of blood that we trailed a short distance directly toward where the other deer was shot. I asked Dale if there was another buck and he said there was only his deer and a doe that came by him. Now we were faced with a problem. Dale had already tagged the deer yet if the boy had shot it first, it really should be his. I took the boy over to where dales deer was laying and asked him if this was the deer he shot. He took one look and said, " No Sir. The deer I shot was a 10pt. That is the first buck I saw but I knew I only had one shot so I shot the big one." I was a little surprised and didn't figure a 6 year old would really have counted points on a deer in that thicket so I asked how he knew it was a ten. He said," Well he had three up on the side next to me". That sure sounded like he knew what he saw.

We made another search while dale drug his deer out but couldn't find any further blood and in my heart I really believed he shot the same deer as dale. In the meantime, Dales brother had joined the hunt late and didn't know which way we were pushing so he had stopped at the other end and was walking to us through the thicket. We were waiting on him and he knew nothing of the events. Suddenly he yelled, "HEY HERES A BUCK!" I yelled, "How many points?" "TEN!"

That kid started saying, I told ya! I told ya! We tore through that thicket 100yds to the buck and he was a jaw dropper. Huge ten around 150. he looked like a dang donkey laying there. His Mom was driving a Honda Civic and we tied that deer all over the top of that dang little car and she headed to a store in Ratcliff that had a big buck contest going on. They drew quite a crowd. Another hunter asked who killed it and we told him the boy did. The hunter said," Its a d&mn shame that a kid killed a deer like that for his first deer." before I could put him in his place the kid replied," What makes you thing that's my first deer? I killed a five point last year and a doe the year before that!" I laughed till my sides hurt!

I cant remember that kids first name but his last name is Pyle and he grew up in a serious bowhunting family. I hope he is a GS member and chimes in here.
Tracy by chance? Whole family had a pretty good southern drawl?
DedDuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #2209
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Weather is breaking and this week should be good. In taking lil David after either a big 8pt or 9 pt. Johnny and his dad are hunting near me as well.something should die about 645 this evening.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #2210
marshdrake
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Weather is breaking and this week should be good. In taking lil David after either a big 8pt or 9 pt. Johnny and his dad are hunting near me as well.something should die about 645 this evening.
Nice!
marshdrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #2211
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Quote:
In for this. Good luck to you and Johnny!
TildenHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #2212
Roy D Mercer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell and Rusk County

Its a perfect day. I have no doubt something is about to die...
Roy D Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #2213
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Iíll be checking in for some LDPís later
TxDispatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #2214
jakeb03
Ten Point

Hunt In: McLennan, Tom Green, Schliecher, Bosque County

Good luck!

jakeb03 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #2215
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Best of luck for y'all.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 08:06 PM   #2216
ethic1
Eight Point

In for LDP

ethic1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 08:49 PM   #2217
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Tonight, tomorrow- I don't care- I'm just excited to see more tailgate LDPs of big ETX
bucks Hope y'all are blood tracking a biggun right now!
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #2218
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Not today. Got close. Had good action. Hogs ran them off late. We whacked a big hog. As soon as they ran off our shooter came in. Actually I think we had both shooters in the corn when we sneaked out. I think we got out without them busting us.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #2219
boy wonder
Ten Point

Hunt In: The river

Sounds like a great hunt!
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #2220
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Anderson County, Montgomery County, Rusk County, Polk County, and Throckmorton County

Love this thread...
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2019, 09:11 PM   #2221
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Lil David whacked his target Friday evening right on schedule. Maybe ill do a couple writeups later.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:32 PM   #2222
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Congratulations to the young man! Lookin' forward to the story and pics.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2019, 09:46 PM   #2223
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

You know Steve, won't be long an' you'll have to quit callin' him "li'l David"... that boy's dang near grow'd up!! And he's a deer killin' machine!! 'Course he does have a pretty good guide..
Old 10-13-2019, 09:50 PM   #2224
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Well my dad is David Barclay and he is David Barclay so lil David works. He is 15 now and 6ft1. Great young man
Old 10-13-2019, 10:02 PM   #2225
jakeb03
Ten Point

Hunt In: McLennan, Tom Green, Schliecher, Bosque County
Default Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Congrats to lil David. He always seems to get it done! Looking forward to the write up.

jakeb03 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2019, 10:02 PM   #2226
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Old 10-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #2227
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:
Lil David whacked his target Friday evening right on schedule. Maybe ill do a couple writeups later.
Great to hear, Lil David is a very lucky young man to have you showing him the ropes.

Rwc
Rwc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2019, 07:07 PM   #2228
Kobalt84
Nubbin' Buck

I’m still struggling to find a buck bedding area or what some people refer to his core area. I seem to remember garguy mentioning it will be in an area with little to no human traffic. My question is how do you actually go about finding such an area? And even if you think you may know a spot such as this what are the signs you look for that actually prove your suspicions? I’m not new to the deer woods by no means, and do ok at harvesting my share of deer. But the whole concept of spotting something like this in the woods and knowing that’s what it is baffles me. I hunt the woods and usually find success only by getting away from other hunters. But still never really get on anything older than 3 1/2 years old. I hear about the thickest nastiest place you can find will be his hold up, but at the same time I’m usually surrounded by thick stuff like privet hedge. So how does one go about finding such a spot.
Kobalt84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top