Feeding Corn Year Round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
    We feed year round and add salt licks and cotton seed. Definitely change it up because if you have the stuff they need they will come to your place and stay. The treats are nice but they need a bit more then candy.
    My 40 acres is surrounded by deer leases. I don't know what they feed or plant.

Comment

We have some opinions in South Florida concerning corn.

We have a smaller strain of deer. We have a litany of predators. Panthers ( small mountain lions), black bears, alligators, hogs, bobcats, fox, coyotes, and more recently pythons up to 20 foot.

Therefore, when a doe gives birth, time is of an essence for both to vacate the smell of the after birth.

If that fawn is not tall enough to reach that milk tit of a very anxious momma doe, and struggles to get fed in those first few minutes, more than likely that fawn dies.

Therefore we feel, any additive the doe consumes, protein carb or mineral goes to strengthen that fawn during incubation or its initial milking, is vital to initial survival. Most Florida fawns are lost at or near birth mainly to predation.

Therefore we are advocates of corn [emoji535] protein minerals and any other food supplementation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 5 acres and 5 next to it that I don't go in(bedding). Yes, a small area. Because I feed corn year round I have ample deer to choose from. This morning I had 9 bucks and maybe 14 does eat or look for corn at my feeder all w/in 15 yards of me. They don't each get enough to harm them but they know where to go for treats, I do keep blocks out too.

Comment

I have found corn during deer season then protein in the off season... when we start feeding corn it’s like candy and the deer go crazy for it... just my experience! I was on a place where we fed corn year around and the deer didn’t seem to get as excited come October.

Comment

More you feed the more does you have showing up. I have a road feeder and the numbers go down in spring and early fall. Depends on rainfall.

Comment

Working...
            X