Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-01-2019, 11:40 PM   #1
shwacker1911
Six Point

Hunt In: san antonio
Default Second bow kill still a bad blood trail.....

Ok so I have taken two does with archery equipment same broadhead type and brand both had little to no blood trails what are your thoughts. I used schwacker two blade 100 gr 2 in cut for both deer o e from my compound one from my crossbow both did as advertised small hole in 2 in cut out. One was from 12 ft up a tree the one tonight was ground level. Both deer made it 100 to 150 yds and crashed. Thoughts? Where the arrow entered on tonight's doe is in pic
Attached Images

shwacker1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:46 PM   #2
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

I can’t tell very well exactly where that shot placement would be but I know I’ve shot a couple deer and the entry and exit were kinda high and there wasn’t much blood. Like the cavity filled up but not enough to spill out. Not sure man, sorry for no help.
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:57 PM   #3
Bradical BH
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillespie Co

A lot to do with kinetic energy imo. Are your arrows pretty light? About four years ago I went from a 8 to 11 gpi arrow with a nice outsert to increase FOC and the difference was unreal. Same bow, poundage, broadhead etc. yes a fast arrow will zip through a whitetail deer but if there’s no KE wont not cause the hemorrhage that leaves blood trails. I relate it to poking a hole in lung vs blowing a hole through the lungs. Both are gonna die. One a lot quicker and graphically than the other. GL ��
Bradical BH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 12:05 AM   #4
shwacker1911
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBReezen View Post
I canít tell very well exactly where that shot placement would be but I know Iíve shot a couple deer and the entry and exit were kinda high and there wasnít much blood. Like the cavity filled up but not enough to spill out. Not sure man, sorry for no help.
Shot was right in the triangle of the shoulder almost dead center slight quarter towards me both lungs full of blood, blood coming from nose/mouth blood all down both sides of the deer. Yet specks of blood for the trail. Where she did the death wobble there was blood everywhere looked like what I would have expected with the shot placement
Old 10-02-2019, 12:08 AM   #5
shwacker1911
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical BH View Post
A lot to do with kinetic energy imo. Are your arrows pretty light? About four years ago I went from a 8 to 11 gpi arrow with a nice outsert to increase FOC and the difference was unreal. Same bow, poundage, broadhead etc. yes a fast arrow will zip through a whitetail deer but if thereís no KE wont not cause the hemorrhage that leaves blood trails. I relate it to poking a hole in lung vs blowing a hole through the lungs. Both are gonna die. One a lot quicker and graphically than the other. GL ��
not sure both bows I had were used and already set up from previous owner I figured they shoot great why change it . The part that is throwing me off is o only get bad blood on deer. Have no issues with pigs bleeding
Old 10-02-2019, 05:31 AM   #6
huntindude
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazoria county and Menard

Not trying to start a broadhead debate this is just my opinion. I donít think thereís anything wrong with Shwackers they are a proven broadhead. My opinion is- you only have 1 2 inch gash really for blood to come out of- With shots to the deadly V you have shoulder muscle covering that gash in the ribs. Blood would really only come out when the holes in the shoulder and ribs align which as a deer is running is not very much time. Combine that with the fact the hole in the shoulder itself being only one linear cut seals over pretty easy as those muscles tighten- lastly, if the exit is any higher than bottom 3rd. Thatís lots of cavity that has to fill up first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
huntindude is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 05:43 AM   #7
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

I shoot Shwackers myself, 125gr. Shoot them about 5 inches further back and Stevie Wonder will be able to follow the blood trail.. They are lethal and tuff.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 05:58 AM   #8
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwacker1911 View Post
both did as advertised small hole in 2 in cut out.
I thought these MH's open upon impact.
So, shouldn't there be a 2" cut going in as well?
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 06:10 AM   #9
JeffK
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
I thought these MH's open upon impact.
So, shouldn't there be a 2" cut going in as well?
Mechanical broadheads are not all the same. Swackers donít open until the blades enter the hide
JeffK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 06:14 AM   #10
JeffK
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntindude View Post
Not trying to start a broadhead debate this is just my opinion. I donít think thereís anything wrong with Shwackers they are a proven broadhead. My opinion is- you only have 1 2 inch gash really for blood to come out of- With shots to the deadly V you have shoulder muscle covering that gash in the ribs. Blood would really only come out when the holes in the shoulder and ribs align which as a deer is running is not very much time. Combine that with the fact the hole in the shoulder itself being only one linear cut seals over pretty easy as those muscles tighten- lastly, if the exit is any higher than bottom 3rd. Thatís lots of cavity that has to fill up first

This. Plus it also seems to me that itís harder to spot blood when the ground is really dry.
JeffK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 07:08 AM   #11
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
Mechanical broadheads are not all the same. Swackers donít open until the blades enter the hide
That is not always the truth... On a broadside shot the entry will be smaller but on a quartering shot the entry can be huge, 3"-4" long.. Been there, done it.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 07:19 AM   #12
Arrowflinger84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Spikezilla

In my opinion you are shooting too far forward. Shoot a few inches further back I think your set up is fine. Shooting further back you will direct hit heart/lungs and see a pass through and (2) 2" holes the paint the landscape with. Congrats on the deer!
Arrowflinger84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 07:28 AM   #13
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical BH View Post
A lot to do with kinetic energy imo. Are your arrows pretty light? About four years ago I went from a 8 to 11 gpi arrow with a nice outsert to increase FOC and the difference was unreal. Same bow, poundage, broadhead etc. yes a fast arrow will zip through a whitetail deer but if thereís no KE wont not cause the hemorrhage that leaves blood trails. I relate it to poking a hole in lung vs blowing a hole through the lungs. Both are gonna die. One a lot quicker and graphically than the other. GL ��

KE effects penetration, it has no effect on hemorrhage.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 07:40 AM   #14
Duckologist
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
KE effects penetration, it has no effect on hemorrhage.
Tis true
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 07:54 AM   #15
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwacker1911 View Post
Shot was right in the triangle of the shoulder almost dead center slight quarter towards me both lungs full of blood, blood coming from nose/mouth blood all down both sides of the deer. Yet specks of blood for the trail. Where she did the death wobble there was blood everywhere looked like what I would have expected with the shot placement
sounds like the chest cavity is needing to fill up before much blood is draining out. If elevated one hole is higher than the other
ground level the holes are typically fairly even.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 07:59 AM   #16
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Shot placement and angle of the entrance and exit (if there is an exit wound) are what determines the bloodtrail. pure and simple.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 08:01 AM   #17
chris1911
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntindude View Post

this is what i was thinking too....
chris1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 08:08 AM   #18
sectxag06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

as others have mentioned, you are shooting a bit too forward. plus, if the the entry and exit are high, the blood will fill the cavity rather than bleeding out. congrats on the successful kill.
sectxag06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 10:57 AM   #19
shwacker1911
Six Point

[QUOTE=sectxag06;14405926]as others have mentioned, you are shooting a bit too forward. plus, if the the entry and exit are high, the blood will fill the cavity rather than bleeding out. congrats on the successful

If the deer were quartered to me wouldn't I want to shoot further to the front the the animal vs going back and getting a gut shot?
Old 10-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #20
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Perfect shot placement imo a little farther back would still get the job done but thats where i aim 90% of the time. Maybe a hair lower.
Thats why the call it the deadly V. Put it there and they usually dont go far.
bloodtrailer28 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #21
jjaimes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Good vs Bad Blood trails have so many different factors 2 holes vs one, angles, shot placement, etc. Some animals just bleed more than others or some just don't run far enough to start pumping blood out. There are many different factors that come in effect with bow hunting. I started off bowhunting with Shwackers and I never got good blood trails out of them especially if I didn't get an exit. My buddy hit a deer with a crossbow shooting shwackers, got pass thru, double lung, and still very little blood. We did recover that deer though. I Had a cousin shoot a doe with a raptor trick (very similar design) and had the same results. We switched over to Grim Reapers and had better results and continue to use them, however fixed blades with heavy arrows have been more effective on shots to the bone and getting 2 holes vs one.
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #22
T-REX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Austin/Washington county

I've killed half a dozen deer with schwackers and none of them ever bled. Most of them ran 70-100 yards. Always small entry and ok exit. I always come back to my tried and true grizz tricks that always leave blood and hardly ever have an animal go more than 50 yards. I tend to also shoot forward through the shoulders in the V and they usually do not go far but have had better luck shooting fixed heads for that area of the vitals.
T-REX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 07:03 PM   #23
shwacker1911
Six Point

Went back and found the bolt from last night went about 20 yards past the shot no damage to head or bolt

Last edited by shwacker1911; 10-02-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:28 PM   #24
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

It has to be the POI and angle of the shot, entry/exit. A 2" cut, no matter the broadhead brand or type should let copious amounts of blood.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #25
shwacker1911
Six Point

This one was in left shoulder out right side 3in back from shoulder but it was an inch over the half way point on the chest