Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-30-2019, 11:00 PM   #51
drenaline65
Six Point

Following

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
drenaline65 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 11:23 PM   #52
speck1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Incredible adventure. Makes me wish i was young enough to try it.
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 12:57 AM   #53
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

Beautiful pics that is God’s country for sure!
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 01:13 AM   #54
RsHunter
Nubbin' Buck

Awesome story so far can't wait for the rest of it. Alaska truly is a sight to see.
RsHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 07:50 AM   #55
Bryan11
Six Point

In, a customer of my Dad's did a few of these self guided float trips every couple years for bear in Alaska and would stay in trappers cabins along the way. It's been a dream of mine ever since seeing his full mount of a black bear.
Bryan11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #56
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

Sounds awesome.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #57
bundyducks
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bloomington, Victoria, Refugio

in
bundyducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #58
ccbluewater
Eight Point

Hunt In: Freer

In! Looking forward to more
ccbluewater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #59
TxBowHntr
Four Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde

In for episode 3!
TxBowHntr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 10:16 AM   #60
sectxag06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

this is just flat out incredible.
sectxag06 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #61
menglert
Four Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells, Runnels

Absolutely incredible. I'm in.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
menglert is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:05 AM   #62
IDFWU
Six Point

Hunt In: Pearsall, Uvalde

yea this is gonna be a good one.
IDFWU is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:27 AM   #63
MLank
Ten Point

Made it..........
MLank is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 12:50 PM   #64
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Day 1- Hunting begins

We wake up about 5am to the sounds of water flowing and salmon splashing trying to get upstream over riffles. All 3 of us excited like kids on Christmas morning. Get up and get dressed, it’s a cooler morning probably about 40 but clouds seem to be building up the drainage and quick, looking like we might get a shower before daylight. We gather around the tent and grab our packs to put on and strap in but we’re all a little quiet nobody wanting to say what we seen. Dad breaks the silence,” y’all see them bear tracks around the bear fence?” My brother and I nod and just smile as we all look at each other with that look of things just got real. We better keep our heads on a swivel after all the bear sign and the fresh tracks from some point in the night a bear was sniffing around camp walking around our fence. Put it in the back of our minds and start our hike up river to the place we called from last night.

I start raking brush about 6:15 and it immediately starts to rain and the wind is picking up. I finish the sequence and go meet back up near my dad and brother. We sit silent for an hour before my dad goes and rakes for another sequence, all the while it still hasn’t quit raining. After that sequence we sit for another 2 hours and nothing. By now the wind is steady probably around 15-20mph. We decide we should move further up river closer to where we seen that bull because the wind and sound of running water is just drowning out our raking and grunting. The further up river we head there is fewer and fewer signs of game but we are almost to where that bull was so we’re not too concerned. We finally get to a spot where We think would be a good place to set up and call the rest the day that is close to where we want to be by that bull. We call the rest of the day but nothing. It’s now 9:30pm and we’re a mile up river from camp and we need to get back before it’s too late with having to cross sections of river and hoping not to surprise a bear on accident. We also have a decision to make about a game plan for tomorrow.

Get back to camp and boil water for our dinners and discuss tomorrow’s plan. We decide to call from camp in the morning and slowly pack up to head down river and if nothing shows by 11:30-12 to head on.

Day 2

Next morning we wake up to more bear tracks around our bear fence and no new fresh moose sign anywhere near. Get camp packed up while keeping our eyes and ears peeled for a moose possibly working his way in. It’s 11:45 and nothing, so we hop in the rafts and head on. We covered about 13 miles in about 3 hours, stopping a few times at different sand bars to inspect tracks and other sign.

Finally we happen upon a sand bar with a lot of fresh bull tracks, a whole brush line that’s been raked recently with several heavily used trails just right up on the bank. Mixed in with the moose tracks are a set of lone wolf tracks, the last thing you want to see while hunting anything. They look about a week old and blow them off. As we’re inspecting the brush that’s been raked to hopefully get a time frame on it we spot a moose shed from the year before, lying about 5 feet into the trees smack dab in the middle of a trail. I take a step over to pick up the shed and hang it in the branches of a nearby spruce (Native American hunting ritual/offering). Motioning hand signals we decide to go through a call sequence and wait an hour here to see if that bull is bedded somewhere close and get him to come out. Go through the sequence and wait it out, nothing. While sitting and watching I had got on my onx to kill a little time and boredom. I notice there is a small lake not but 40 yards in from the bank that you would never know unless you had gps or flown over. We are now positive there’s a bull here close by. It’s now 5pm or so and we’re trying to figure out where to camp so we can hunt this area. We float down about 500 yards to the next bar and set up camp, allowing us to hike back up the river to hunt that lake and sand bar. We set up camp and Dad and I decide to hike up to the lake and hunt there while my brother will watch the sand bar from camp. The brush is incredibly thick, taking the 2 of us about 25 min to go 500 yards. We get close to the lake and decide to drop our packs so we can slip in a little bit quieter. The weather had cleared up on this second day of hunting with clear skies, but absolutely still. Zero breeze to help cover any accidental noises. Grab our Binos, a few snacks, our rifles, and our paddle to rake. We slip in on the edge of the lake along the brush line and find a good spot to sit and call, and wait...

Day 1 spot

Day 2 evening spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 12:59 PM   #65
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Great write up. Can't wait for the rest!
TildenHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #66
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

Man this is awesome. Thread of the year potential. This would be a dream trip of mine.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
solocam_aggie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 01:41 PM   #67
Rwc
Pope & Young

Extremely enjoyable read.

Thanks

Rwc
Rwc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 01:57 PM   #68
Shurshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio/Zavala county

Sounds great so far, waiting for more.
Shurshot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #69
slicktricker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land

So awesome
slicktricker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #70
yotethumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

In!
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #71
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Can you explain the "Bear Fence"
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #72
TCR²
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Angelina Counties and Redmesa, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam_aggie View Post
Man this is awesome. Thread of the year potential. This would be a dream trip of mine.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
No doubt!
TCR² is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #73
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Is this an electric fence system?
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #74
diamond10x
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotx View Post
Can you explain the "Bear Fence"
UDAP bear fence. Just a small 3 strand packable electric fence to help keep curious bears from getting to curious. I have some pictures I’ll upload where you can see it.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #75
TMC50
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whereever I can

Man this is good! You are truly living the dream!!,
TMC50 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #76
moondog
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb, Garza, Scurry and Borden Counties

Just found this thread.
Did this hunt in 2008. Went with a friend of mine to the Bristol Bay area. Some of the hardest hunting I've ever experienced. But totally worth the effort. I was able to take a bull on day 10.
Now I'm waiting to see the outcome, here!
moondog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #77
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

This is bad ***! Regardless of outcome, way to go to your and your brother for successfully researching and putting in all the leg work that I can only imagine goes into Alaska DIY. Just planning the logistics and stepping foot on the dirt is an accomplishment. Now hurry up with the next post!
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 02:49 PM   #78
76aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion Co.

I am waiting for the story to continue as well. I just got home Friday night from a 10 day float in 25A. Planning to start a thread but I want to see the outcome of this one. Great job thus far.
76aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #79
ChickenWilly
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas and anywhere else I can!

Just now seeing this! What an awesome trip brother! Cant wait to follow along for the rest of your recap and pictures. I cant imagine how awesome of a trip that was especially getting to do it with your brother and dad.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
ChickenWilly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 03:02 PM   #80
James
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County, Kansas and Out West

Keep it coming !
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #81
Ouch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a camo banana hammock.

Just saw this and got caught up. Looking forward to more...
Ouch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 05:20 PM   #82
tmkrueger
Ten Point

Good luck.

TMKBDD
tmkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #83
Aojeda355
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Tx

Providing another adventure through the green screen, love it & following!
Aojeda355 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 05:52 PM   #84
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

This is a great thread and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Just hope it doesnt take 10 days to finish it as I am very impatient with this new "everything right now culture" I have apparently adopted. Keep giving us all the little details though and I'll be more patient....as if I have any other option.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 05:54 PM   #85
diamond10x
Ten Point

It’s about 7pm now and the two of us are settled in. I start a 30 min calling/raking sequence in the birch and spruce trees right behind us, first big mistake on the set. Go through the sequence and sit back down quietly to wait patiently. Time goes by and no sounds of sticks breaking, foot steps, or grunts, other than a few ducks cackling on the lake in front of us. I get bored and begin glassing the mountain side trying to find a black bear since we had a bear tag. I spot one in an avalanche chute way up above the tree line about a mile off gorging on berries. I watch him for about 20 min before I decide to call/rake one last time at about 8:15. Go through the sequence, this time getting more aggressive about it hoping to spark a reaction if a bull is close by to show himself. Get done and sit back down. I’m still in awe of this experience I get caught up in trying to find that bear I saw a few min earlier to hopefully see where he goes in case no bull shows up we can go after him in the morning (next mistake, never let yourself get distracted). Well I finally find him and he is headed out of view so I scoot out of cover to rest my binos on my paddle to have more field of view on the mountain side. Not but 30 seconds later I hear my dad whisper “bull, bull, BULL!” My eyes are still in my binos and I’m thinking yeah right, I didn’t hear a sound not even the snap of a stick, no way one snuck in. All I’m thinking is about all the times hunting out west we’ll pull each other’s leg while glassing during mid day about spotting a big mulie or elk. Well about 5 seconds goes by and curious it’s gets the best of me and I turn to look at my dad to see if he’s being serious. He’s resting his rifle on his knee popping his scope caps off and trying to sight in on something. I turn and look in that direction about 100 yards directly across the lake is a bull staring us down. Oh crap! I’m in the open, we’re both in the exact spot we’d been calling from and he’s got us pinpointed. I quickly put the paddle on my head to look like a moose just like you see in those Jim shockey videos. I quickly whisper “ is he legal? If you’re gonna shoot tell me. Is he legal?!” My dad is struggling to find him in the scope cause it’s getting dark and for some reason his scope is really blurry. He realizes his scope is turned up to 15x some how from walking through the brush on our way there. He quickly adjusts it down and he says ,”4 brows but I can only see one side I don’t know how wide.” Where the bull is standing he is peering around a spruce, head on facing us, so you can only see one antler to judge width, and it’s too late to tell brow tines to be positive. All of this happens in a matter of about 12 seconds. Well as you can guess the bull sees enough and books it out of there. Our hearts sink and we know we’ve blown a golden opportunity. We start playing everything through our minds what we should have done.

Red x= glassing calling spot
Yellow x= where the bull showed himself

We grab our stuff, head to our packs, and get back to camp and decide to go back in the morning. We get back to camp at dark and eat dinner to hit the sack early to be back well before daylight. My dad is pretty disappointed and it’s playing on him all night and even in the morning.

Day 3

On our hike back to the lake my brother and I have a quick talk away from my dad agreeing he still has first dibs on any bull we see no matter what. This morning it was crisp, cold, and clear. Perfect. Well we hunt the lake all morning only to have nothing eventful, now knowing we blew that bull out of there the night before. Only thing to do is head back, pack the rafts, and move on. Lesson learned, broke a golden rule, don’t call from your glassing spot or you will get busted. As well as staying engaged and not being distracted.

We head down river and cover a few miles before we stop at a bar to eat lunch. While we’re eating we notice tracks in the sand. So we finish eating and grab the rifles to check them out. In luck, these are real fresh. We follow them a few hundred yards coming across numerous raked trees but aren’t sure how fresh they are so we keep following. The tracks start to head up into the spruce so we follow some more. We get about 10 yards in and there is a fresh bed with fresh poop in it. Heck yeah there’s one here, it’s looking better. We back out and head to the rafts to try and figure a camping spot so we can hunt the evening and following morning at minimum. We pick a spot on a bar up river and on the opposite side due to prevailing winds and too thick of brush. Well the sun is out and it’s hot so we decide to do a little pike fishing at a lake away from where we’re hunting as to not push anything out. About 6 we cross the river and all get set up in different spots away from the calling location. Go through several calling sequences and nothing. About 8pm the wind starts to pick up and it gets quite windy. Sustained winds about 40 with gusts probably 50-60. We stay til dark but not surprised to not see anything due to the wind and hoping it will be different in the morning. Get back to camp and it’s so windy we have to boil water and eat inside the tent just to keep our stove flame going. I get woke up in the middle of the night to my brother nudging me ,”hey you’re outside the tipi fix the stakes!” I open my eyes and sure enough it had come of several stake and the side was flapping on top of my sleeping back so I get up to fix it and go back to sleep. Not a good situation. Morning breaks and the wind hasn’t let up.

Red x= where we pike fished for a while

We decide to move on because there is no way we can stay camped here if the weather stays or gets any worse. Load up the rafts again and head down river. All discouraged cause we knew that was the place it could have happened but Mother Nature wasn’t going to let it happen. On the bright side it’s only the morning of day 4 and we still have 12 days to make it happen and hopefully fill 3 tags.

Day 4

Rafts loaded and down river we go. Wind is still fierce but has slowed a bit to about 20-30 but making progress real slow. We make it about 2 miles to a lake I had marked before the hunt that looked moosey. Where it is the river snakes around it on almost 3 sides. We come up to the first side and there is no place to beach the rafts so we keep floating around and come up the west side and there’s a big beach and we can easily see sign from the river. Heck yeah! We get out and start to walk up the bar to take a closer look. The sand on this bar is really soft and we’re sinking down to about mid calf with every step until we get close to the bank. We’re looking at the track to determine how fresh and it’s obvious, it’s real fresh. We look at the brush noticing some raking sign and we notice a birch about as big around as your forearm that’s tore up. Our eyes light up and we start imagining there’s gotta be some mossback monarch bull hanging around here.

Easily agree on the decision to hunt here. All we need is a place to set up camp and we’ll figure out the rest later. Decide the bar is out of the question so we search around in the spruce for a place. Find a spot that’s open enough and start clearing so we can get comfortable. We’re staying here til we punch a tag or blow out another bull. Get everything off the rafts and camp set up and make it about as comfortable as we can before it’s time to set up on the lake.

My brother and I decide we’ll switch spots tonight, I’ll hunt the long sand bar and him and my dad will go to the lake and call. We head out and follow the same routine we had since day 1 but as most days go moose hunting, nothing. We meet back at camp at dark. Talk about the day and my brother and dad tell me they found bedding and more raked trees by the lake. We’re getting more confident in our decision to stay here and decide to keep on with the plan, it’s just a matter of time before it happens.

Red x= glassing spots
Yellow x= calling location

Day 5

Wake up early with excitement for not knowing what the day holds. I go with my dad to the lake and my brother watches the sand bar. As Dad and I make our way to our calling and glassing spot we’re walking along a moose trail and low and behold come across a bed with fresh poop. So fresh it’s still warm and sticky, probably from some time during the night. We’re excited now. The sun starts to break the horizon so I begin my calling sequence. Finish my sequence and go sit in my glassing spot and wait. By now the sun is up and it’s about 9:30, we’ve called several times, and we’re getting hungry since we skipped breakfast. We decide to head back to camp to warm up a little and grab our food. I get my shake down and decide to head back out so I can sit and call all day. Dad meets back up with me about 3:00pm before he goes to his spot to watch the other side of the lake. As he’s walking off a cow and two calves step out across the lake at about 800 yards. We watch them for a few minutes before my dad says to sneak back and go get my brother. He was still over watching the sand bar. We figured it would be a good idea to get him since he hadn’t seen a moose yet on the trip and we didn’t want him to miss out seeing anything. Things might be starting to heat up...

Last edited by diamond10x; 10-01-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:15 PM   #86
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Best thread in a while
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #87
NotJose
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton, TX

Following

NotJose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 07:24 PM   #88
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

Good stuff. Keep it coming!
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 07:27 PM   #89
slicktricker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land

This is like a breath of fresh air. Can't wait for the next segment! Thank you for taking us along.
slicktricker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 08:41 PM   #90
James
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County, Kansas and Out West

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
Best thread in a while
Yup!
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #91
bklem
Ten Point

Yea got to admit I’m hooked. Keep em coming.
bklem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 09:35 PM   #92
Txbownut
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas, East Texas, Colorado

In. Dream trip!
Txbownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 09:40 PM   #93
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandale

I’m on the edge of my seat!
brianlg31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 10:18 PM   #94
Mtltx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill country

This is so dang cool! Great story and can’t wait for more!!
Mtltx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 10:33 PM   #95
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Sounds like a great trip but we need to work on your typing speed...out with it!! In for the rest

TildenHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:17 PM   #96
Ownthewest
Four Point

Ready for more! Keep it coming!
Ownthewest is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 12:10 AM   #97
Olympic Recurve
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County, Tx & Mason County, IL

Awesome, thanks for bringing us along! Can’t wait for the next segment
Olympic Recurve is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 07:57 AM   #98
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Checking back in this AM- let’s hear it!
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 08:35 AM   #99
mfarmer
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba

patiently waiting
mfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #100
TMC50
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whereever I can

F5 f5 f5