Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-28-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
itsgood1308
Eight Point

Hunt In: Archer City
Default Rattlesnake Bite - what does it feel like?

You may know how this works...youíre sitting in a tree not seeing any deer so your mind wanders.

Iím curious, what does it feel like to be bitten by a rattlesnake? Anyone experienced this?
itsgood1308 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 07:28 PM   #2
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

I've "heard" from a man in Sweetwater, who has been bitten several times, that as the venom is moving through your limb it feels like someone hitting said limb with a baseball bat in the area the venom is traveling.. Doesn't sound fun AT ALL...
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 07:33 PM   #3
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Not a rattlesnake, but the doctor thought it was a water moccasin. Not sure what it was. It was dark and I didn’t stick around after it hit me.
Fang marks measured close to 3/4”.
I was in the hospital for a week. It hurt like hell...
Couldn’t treat it with anti-venom because we didn’t know for sure what kind of snake it was.
My foot swelled so much the skin split.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 07:33 PM   #4
joevillars
Eight Point

Let’s not discuss this I’m scared of the things already.
joevillars is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #5
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

My best friend got hit by 2 at the same time. Apparently stepped between them while grabbing a feed sack.....he said it was like stepping in a fire and didnt feel better for several days
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 07:50 PM   #6
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crowell

It probably hurts
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 07:53 PM   #7
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

If it's at all comparable to tasting one, getting bit by one is just like being bitten by a chicken.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 07:53 PM   #8
cbd10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for new places

Why
cbd10pt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 07:53 PM   #9
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Don't feel like anything at first really besides the fangs stabbing into you. When I got bit on the hand it just felt like it went to sleep. Then I felt like ants were crawling up each finger,into my hand then all the way up my arm. Then it felt like someone took a sledgehammer and beat on my hand and set it on fire. The next day I picked my hand up to move it and it felt my fingernails were going to slide off.

The second time I got bit wasn't as bad. Just felt like a really,really,really intense charlie horse in my calf muscle and thigh once the venom started doing its thing. Probably wouldn't have been as bad if I'd have been in the hospital. It just depends on how severe the envenomation is. It's not the worst pain ever but it sucks pretty bad.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 08:05 PM   #10
okrattler
Pope & Young

I know after a hospital stay and you receive a bill for the medicine they used to keep your fingers form falling off you feel like you're on your way to losing a whole **** load of money. That's pretty painful.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:44 PM   #11
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevillars View Post
Letís not discuss this Iím scared of the things already.
Amen Brother!!

Me too

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 09:00 PM   #12
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
If it's at all comparable to tasting one, getting bit by one is just like being bitten by a chicken.
All I can do is shake my head.
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 09:28 PM   #13
MagicBlade
Ten Point

Hunt In: Archer County Texas

Really don't want to find out or think about it!
Moving on .......
MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 09:53 PM   #14
Flint knapper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

The key is to not get bit!
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 09:54 PM   #15
awry
Eight Point

Never ever want to know!
awry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 10:07 PM   #16
bpa556
Eight Point

Hunt In: Terrell County

Not much of anything right off the bat. About 45 minutes in it starts getting uncomfortable. Once that starts it gets very uncomfortable very quickly.

They hung bags on me in the ER (about 2.5 hours after the bite) and I woke up about 3 days later. It still hurt very badly. I was 7 days in the hospital and drained 32 vials of antivenin.

Youíll live through it....but I donít recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bpa556 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 10:11 PM   #17
sp-bow
Six Point

Hunt In: SHNF, MI

Hope I never find out.
sp-bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #18
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

My bet is there is no standard for any pain feeling to be recorded and/or to be expected...I think we all handle these severe issues differently & pain tolerances are incredibly vast from person to person.

From talking to my wife, there would never have been a 2nd child if I was born a female...what is wrong with you women?? How many threads have been on here over the years about a vasectomy?? Some guys are corralling cats without a saddle the next day & others cannot even put on blue jeans for a week??

I'm allergic & carry an epi-pen for insects bites...not sure what any particular spider or scorpion bite might due as I've never been there, much less an injection from a belly crawler!! I've already seen them kill one dog & almost a 2nd. Their suffering was immense, one was bitten on the foot while another on the neck.

I'm convinced we have guardian angles as there really is no good reason other than this that I have not been bitten over the years...I'll be 50 soon and never wore snake boots till recently & shagged birds for dad till I could hunt myself. Would stretch my reach way back in deep brush with my head turned away to keep my eyes from being poked out feeling for feathers?? Especially as a kid, I'm really surprised I didn't at least have a good story. I just didn't worry about them like I do today. I have way more many hours retrieving birds vs the two dogs that actually got bit.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 10:45 PM   #19
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
My bet is there is no standard for any pain feeling to be recorded and/or to be expected...I think we all handle these severe issues differently & pain tolerances are incredibly vast from person to person.

From talking to my wife, there would never have been a 2nd child if I was born a female...

They overuse this.

How hard can childbirth be if half the worlds population can do it. Half the world's population can't juggle....I can. Half the world's population can't ride a unicycle...I can. Half the world's population can't make homemade biscuits...I can. Juggling, riding a unicycle and making homemade biscuits are all tougher than child birth.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 11:04 PM   #20
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

About 20 years ago a buddy of mine got bit picking up a dove he had just shot. One fang sunk to the hilt at the base of his middle finger, the other in the top of his palm. About 15 minutes into the 35 minute drive to the hospital he said it was really burning. By the time we got there his arm was really swelling - looked like a fat sausage all the way up to the armpit. He spent a week there mostly because he had a bad reaction to the antivenin. I guess partially killed a nerve because he still doesn’t have complete control of that finger
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2019, 12:05 AM   #21
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Iíll take yalls word for it!!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2019, 12:31 AM   #22
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Of all the stuff you could be thinking of why this?

I mean I get it. You're there focused on your AO but why not, oh I don't know, how about how to convince the better half that a Mťnage ŗ trois is fun?

Or maybe how to rig up AC in the deer blind?

I mean you could dang near focus on any thing else
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2019, 12:48 AM   #23
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Ol curt is on a roll tonite
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2019, 05:59 AM   #24
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Pain tolerance probably does. But the feeling itself probably doesn't. Depending on the species of snake I'd imagine. I saw a buddy of mine get bit by a 5 1/2 to 6 foot Diamondback. He got bit on the hand and tried to tell me it didn't get him very good. Which I knew better judging by how much blood was coming out of his hand. I knew it wasn't just a scratch. I told him what he would feel in the minutes to come after the bite. He told me what was going on and what he was feeling and it happened just as I said it would. I told him he had to get to the hospital. It took 10 vials of antivenin to get him out of the hospital.

I think the side effects are the same for everybody. A rattlesnakes venom is designed to do the same to anything that it's injected into. The end result has a lot to do with the health of the person envenomated. Children,the elderly and anyone that has kidney problems or heart problems will probably have it way worse than a healthy adult with no underlying or obvious health issues.

Venom is a weird thing. What might hurt someone might kill another. It might take a hold of a person and end their life. The same animal or insect might bite or sting another person and they recover with little to no long lasting affects.

When I got bit on the hand I fooled around for two hours. There have been documented cases where people have died within two hours of being bitten by the same species of snake. But I also think staying calm and everything that leads up to it has something to do with that in itself. I handle venomous snakes,I knew long ago it could happen and I accepted it. I still do because it could and probably will happen again at some point. That's just the mentality I have. Anyone that does anything that could cause them serious bodily harm or death should accept it. If you can't you don't have any business doing it. If you can't handle hitting the ground really hard,don't sky dive. If you can't handle the thought of being ejected out of a car and breaking every bone in your body don't get in a race car. If you can't stomach the thought of getting hung up and drug around an arena until a rodeo clown can drag you off of an animal that was built to hurt you, don't ride a bull. It's that simple.

Last edited by okrattler; 09-29-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #25
outlook8
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Got bit about 10 years ago on my ring finger. The bite itself didnít hurt, but the next few days in surgical ICU with my arm strapped to the ceiling wrapped in a tube of ice sure did.

The pain gets worse when the bills start to pour in as well...mine was just shy of $50k.

Wouldnít recommend it.
outlook8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top