No announcement yet.

Learn me some shotguns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought my daughter a Mossberg 500 Magpul stock like this. Stock adjusts to fit her (she's 5'3").

Comment

The Mossberg 590 is the only shotgun the passed the military's 3000 round test(I believe it was 3000 rounds, I know it was the only one that did not fail.) Every other pump shotgun did fail, for that reason alone I would probably go with the 590, but don't confuse that with a 500. The 500 is not the same gun as a 590. I also like the fact that it has the safety on top and that it's thumb activated. That's not to say that other shotguns aren't good, just that the 590 has proven to be better. They can also be found with ghost rings and adjustable stocks

Comment

I'm a fan of the Remington 11-87 police auto (semi-auto, not a pump). I've tried to jam mine with all different ammo....but couldn't do it. It's a bad mofo.

But most people like the "intimidation factor" of a pump. I'm not a fan. If I pull a shotgun, it's a few pounds away from ventilating someone.

Comment

If going 870, I would find a good used wingmaster that was a magnum or 3" shells & work from that platform...the WingMaster 870 is so much more refined than their tactical even though the same basic design. The actions are honed better & much smoother, & feel broken in from the get go. Has the neat-o factor too. Finding one with light mileage to tinker to your liking should not be an issue. It's a buyers market for those.

Like Chew, I also like the 11-87 if you like gas operated. My go to is the early H&K Import Benelli M1 only because I'm a collector along with a shooter & feel it was their best design & not a lot out there. The Benelli M4 is a first class tactical shotgun & worth consideration if you understand and practice shooting methods for Inertial recoil operated shotguns. It's gotta be snug up against the shoulder & is not as forgiving vs gas operated but both need the same technique. It's more $$$ too but needs mentioning.

Comment

If you go the 870 route I hope you don't end up with one like I have.

I have automatics that don't jam as often

Comment

I would spend it once and cry once.
              #1 benelli 24" barrel regular black youth stock
              #2 beretta 24 or 26" barrel regular black youth stock
              Semi automatic, cause pumping sux when the adrenalin is flowing.

You don't need a tactical stock you can be crazy fast with a standard hunting stock- watch cowboy shooting Competitions

Comment

It almost scares me how fast I can dump 5 rounds of buckshot. I have walked right up into sounders of hogs and in under 2 seconds there were squealing Hogs laying and running all over the place.
                No way I could accomplish the same thing with a pump.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                  It almost scares me how fast I can dump 5 rounds of buckshot. I have walked right up into sounders of hogs and in under 2 seconds there were squealing Hogs laying and running all over the place.

No way I could accomplish the same thing with a pump.

Isn’t this in the classifieds? Lol. I was looking at it [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

FTR...the Model 12 Trench gun is THE pinnacle of perfection for the perfect defensive / tactical pump shotgun. Oh, to find a minty one!!

Comment

We have 870s and they do the job. However...if I had to buy my own to Carry id choose a 590. Don’t get hung up on 3” buckshot either, 2 3/4s will do the job just fine. Don’t worry about chokes unless the gun you find and LIKE has them, they aren’t needed for your application. If the length of pull and comb is right a good shotgun is a thing of beauty and so simple to run. I love Semiauto shotguns to. Don’t buy into the myth that pump is better or more reliable. You carry a semiautomatic pistol and a semiautomatic rifle for a reason. The main reason to get a pump is because you like it more and prefer it.

Comment

Comment

I would suggest a semi auto 1) because under stress if you ever have to use it you don’t have to think about pumping it. It’s fire the next shot. 2) usually less recoil than a pump due to it using some gas to blow the bolt back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In my opinion it's all about what you're used to. If you're used to shooting a pump,shooting fast will be second nature. You'll pump the gun without thinking about it. Muscle memory is all it is.

I've seen way more semi automatics fail than I have pump guns on top of that. Enough times I'd rather trust my life to a pump gun. But seeing how you haven't had much experience with either from the sound of it,it just depends on what you shoot and feel comfortable with.

Comment

used to have a Mossberg 835 Ultimag 12 ga pump ... hard-hitting gun on both ends. It was comfortable to carry but the pump-action was something I never got used to. Maybe because I grew up with either break-overs or Rem. 1100s and never jam or misfire issues with any of them. Killed a lot of ducks with 1100s, not so many with that pump gun.

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
                                Isn’t this in the classifieds? Lol. I was looking at it [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                It is - very little response- and I like it to much to let it go cheap.

Comment

Working...
                                X