Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young
 
tigerscowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.
Default Texas and Dams

To those that live on these waters, affected by the delays, or have direct information on the production plans...

Any of these dam failures and demo? Schedules for replacement?

Seems this is a much bigger issue than the media is being allowed to report.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #2
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wilco
Hunt In: the dark
Default

35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #3
TreyRo
Ten Point
 
TreyRo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Whitney
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
LOL

I'm going to assume we are talking about the Lakes controlled by the GRBA.
TreyRo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #4
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default

Maybe a link...picture...smoke signal?
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
hgiles
Ten Point
 
hgiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Braunfels
Hunt In: my blind
Default

Plda.org will give you plenty of info


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hgiles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #6
TexasTealHunter
Ten Point
 
TexasTealHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: DFW
Hunt In: North / Central Texas
Default

Are you speaking of Lake Dunlap and the lakes below it? I heard or read somewhere on here that there was no plan to repair. drain all lakes below the break.
TexasTealHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #7
Perkins7581
Ten Point
 
Perkins7581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
Lol
Perkins7581 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 09:13 PM   #8
manwitaplan
Pope & Young
 
manwitaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Friendswood
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTealHunter View Post
Are you speaking of Lake Dunlap and the lakes below it? I heard or read somewhere on here that there was no plan to repair. drain all lakes below the break.


Same thing i read. It is too costly with no funds available.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 03:36 AM   #9
hunting270
Ten Point
 
hunting270's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Braunfels
Hunt In: Texas, New Mexico and Wyoming
Default

And judge has stopped GBRA temporary from draining the lakes below Dunlap.
They installed several large pumps on Dunlap that run 24-7 and the noise is very irritating, especially at night.
hunting270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #10
WCB
Pope & Young
 
WCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson
Default

Never heard of a lake Dunlap...
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #11
hully1029
Pope & Young
 
hully1029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pottsboro
Hunt In: Cooke
Default

I, with all honesty, thought this was a TEXANS AND RAMS game thread.. just started with too much makers..
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #12
Radar
Pope & Young
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Pandora
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCB View Post
Never heard of a lake Dunlap...
Its a mud hole now with high dollar homes built around it. Was built by Guadalupe Blanco River Authority back in the 30's for hydroelectric. They quit using the power plant years ago and the dam busted out back in the summer. Lake was not built for flood control. The folks that live around it want GBRA or the state to fix it to maintain their property values and recreational use. GBRA has no plans to repair the dams because there is no use for them anymore, they were supposed to drain all the lakes down by 13 ft this month but a judge stopped it yesterday. GBRA wanted to drain the lakes down for liability reasons.

GBRA had a series of small lakes built on the Guadalupe for hydro electric but they have quit using all the power plants years ago. The dams are old and need replaced or tore down. Lakes Dunlap, Mcqueeny, Placid, Meadow, Gonzales and Wood. Lake Wood dam broke in 2016 and Dunlap in 2019. Just a matter of time before the rest fail.

Mcqueeny lake has been closed to the public for a few years now, the residents there do not want any public access, its considered their private lake, they even have a Yacht Club. There is a lot of mixed feelings about fixing or draining among the local folks. The price tag to repair all the dams is in the tens of millions per dam.

Last edited by Radar; 09-13-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 09:17 AM   #13
pilar
Ten Point
 
pilar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Its a mud hole now with high dollar homes built around it. Was built by Guadalupe Blanco River Authority back in the 30's for hydroelectric. They quit using the power plant years ago and the dam busted out back in the summer. Lake was not built for flood control. The folks that live around it want GBRA or the state to fix it to maintain their property values and recreational use. GBRA has no plans to repair the dams because there is no use for them anymore, they were supposed to drain all the lakes down by 13 ft this month but a judge stopped it yesterday. GBRA wanted to drain the lakes down for liability reasons.

GBRA had a series of small lakes built on the Guadalupe for hydro electric but they have quit using all the power plants years ago. The dams are old and need replaced or tore down. Lakes Dunlap, Mcqueeny, Placid, Meadow, Gonzales and Wood. Lake Wood dam broke in 2016 and Dunlap in 2019. Just a matter of time before the rest fail.

Mcqueeny lake has been closed to the public for a few years now, the residents there do not want any public access, its considered their private lake, they even have a Yacht Club. There is a lot of mixed feelings about fixing or draining among the local folks. The price tag to repair all the dams is in the tens of millions per dam.
Yeah tax everyone so a few rich people can be the only ones to have access
Kinda like a country club needing to tax to stay open
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #14
88 Bound
Ten Point
 
88 Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Sutton/Val Verde/Edwards
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
Yeah tax everyone so a few rich people can be the only ones to have access
Kinda like a country club needing to tax to stay open
Your point is valid and I agree, but that situation is only specific to 1 of the 6 lakes mentioned. The rest have public access.
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #15
Still Hunter
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tx
Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunting270 View Post
And judge has stopped GBRA temporary from draining the lakes below Dunlap.
They installed several large pumps on Dunlap that run 24-7 and the noise is very irritating, especially at night.
The generators running 24/7 feeding those temporary pumps should be gone in about 10 days. They have built a new pump station in the canal going to the original pump station. They are working feverishly to get the new Pump Station on-line. If all goes well with the operation of the new submersible pumps you might be sleeping all night very soon.
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #16
hgiles
Ten Point
 
hgiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Braunfels
Hunt In: my blind
Default

Homeowners along Dunlap are working to create their own water district. The only ones being taxed will be those that own property on the water. Essentially, the landowners will be paying for a new dam and then everyone is able to enjoy it since its a public lake.

I live close to the dam and weve still got water.

hgiles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #17
Radar
Pope & Young
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Pandora
Default

Reckon if I owned a place along one of those lakes and been paying high dollar property taxes, I would be raising cane too. I can see both sides and really do not have an opinion one way or the other. Guess its a risk of owning lakefront property.

I have fished Gonzales and Wood for many years, even tried to buy waterfront property among them but it has always been high dollar and not a real sound investment.

If they do drain the lakes, my understanding is the river must maintain a certain flow. I would think that in real dry times or a drought this could be a drain on Canyon Lake, there is a lot of cattle ranches along the Guadalupe all the way to Tivoli and there is a constant use on the river from livestock.

I believe that Canyon Lake is in a partnership between GBRA and the Army Corps of Engineers.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #18
Radar
Pope & Young
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Pandora
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgiles View Post
Homeowners along Dunlap are working to create their own water district. The only ones being taxed will be those that own property on the water. Essentially, the landowners will be paying for a new dam and then everyone is able to enjoy it since it’s a public lake.

I live close to the dam and we’ve still got water.

I cant understand why GBRA wont let the residents fix the dam, if there would be an incident(dam failure or flooding) after the repair would GBRA be liable or the property owners of the lake?
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #19
hgiles
Ten Point
 
hgiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Braunfels
Hunt In: my blind
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I cant understand why GBRA wont let the residents fix the dam, if there would be an incident(dam failure or flooding) after the repair would GBRA be liable or the property owners of the lake?


Not sure of all the details but I do know PLDA is working with outside council to work out everything. If all goes well, they anticipated they could have the dam replaced by year end 2021.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hgiles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #20
Radar
Pope & Young
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Pandora
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgiles View Post
Not sure of all the details but I do know PLDA is working with outside council to work out everything. If all goes well, they anticipated they could have the dam replaced by year end 2021.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be a win-win for the Dunlap folks.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #21
Briar Friar
Ten Point
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds
Default

Why in the world would the state or whoever decommission all those hydroelectric plants? It seems like going backwards in development and progress....the dams went from being assets to liabilities...as currently demonstrated.

Last edited by Briar Friar; 09-13-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #22
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young
 
tigerscowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Its a mud hole now with high dollar homes built around it. Was built by Guadalupe Blanco River Authority back in the 30's for hydroelectric. They quit using the power plant years ago and the dam busted out back in the summer. Lake was not built for flood control. The folks that live around it want GBRA or the state to fix it to maintain their property values and recreational use. GBRA has no plans to repair the dams because there is no use for them anymore, they were supposed to drain all the lakes down by 13 ft this month but a judge stopped it yesterday. GBRA wanted to drain the lakes down for liability reasons.

GBRA had a series of small lakes built on the Guadalupe for hydro electric but they have quit using all the power plants years ago. The dams are old and need replaced or tore down. Lakes Dunlap, Mcqueeny, Placid, Meadow, Gonzales and Wood. Lake Wood dam broke in 2016 and Dunlap in 2019. Just a matter of time before the rest fail.

Mcqueeny lake has been closed to the public for a few years now, the residents there do not want any public access, its considered their private lake, they even have a Yacht Club. There is a lot of mixed feelings about fixing or draining among the local folks. The price tag to repair all the dams is in the tens of millions per dam.
Thanks. This is the sort of perspective I was looking for.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #23
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wilco
Hunt In: the dark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
there is a lot of cattle ranches along the Guadalupe all the way to Tivoli and there is a constant use on the river from livestock.
Livestock sipping water is not even half a drop in a warm spit bucket compared to the water demands of the rice farmers and industrial water users at the bottom of the river.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #24
Bort
Eight Point
 
Bort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Its a mud hole now with high dollar homes built around it. Was built by Guadalupe Blanco River Authority back in the 30's for hydroelectric. They quit using the power plant years ago and the dam busted out back in the summer. Lake was not built for flood control. The folks that live around it want GBRA or the state to fix it to maintain their property values and recreational use. GBRA has no plans to repair the dams because there is no use for them anymore, they were supposed to drain all the lakes down by 13 ft this month but a judge stopped it yesterday. GBRA wanted to drain the lakes down for liability reasons.

GBRA had a series of small lakes built on the Guadalupe for hydro electric but they have quit using all the power plants years ago. The dams are old and need replaced or tore down. Lakes Dunlap, Mcqueeny, Placid, Meadow, Gonzales and Wood. Lake Wood dam broke in 2016 and Dunlap in 2019. Just a matter of time before the rest fail.

Mcqueeny lake has been closed to the public for a few years now, the residents there do not want any public access, its considered their private lake, they even have a Yacht Club. There is a lot of mixed feelings about fixing or draining among the local folks. The price tag to repair all the dams is in the tens of millions per dam.

Whoa there Bernie!

First off, McQueeney is NOT a private lake. All of the lakes are part of the Guadalupe River and are public waterways. However, it is true that Lake McQueeney does not have a public boat ramp. Because an Interstate Highway does not cross the river, the government isn't required to provide a public boat ramp. However, it could. In the past, there have been several private boat ramps that charged $5 to $10 for access; similar to the fees several public boat ramps charge on other lakes. I'm not sure what they charge now.

Second, the dams have been neglected by GBRA for years. GBRA is a quasi-governmental entity. GRBA failed to perform maintenance and made the dams unprofitable by selling off water rights upstream. GBRA has also taken Federal funds from FEMA that it claims it used to repair the dams. It looks like those funds were misappropriated. The "CEO" of GBRA also sits on the board of a nearby quarry that is receiving water rights from the GBRA. This is a big no, no for the head of quasi governmental organization. If you ask me, the GRBA stinks of corruption.

Third, the "rich people" that make up the lake residence provide tax revenue that supports the schools in Navarro and Sequin. Once the river is drained, the school districts are expecting an 18% budget short fall. Also, a lot of the residence along the river have used their lake home as a way to save for retirement.

Fourthly, the lakes provide a boon to the economy. Several camps, restaurants, camping grounds, and hotels depend on the river's draw to attract tourists.

Fifthly, the "Yacht Club" you speak of is the Lake Breeze Ski Lodge. It's a motel with a restaurant and a pool. It has been around for more than 70 years and I assure you, a Motel 6 is nicer. People go there for the tradition, not because it is a swanky country club.

While it seems that the lakes are asking for a bail out, they are trying to create a taxing authority that would tax only those with homes on the lake. The revenue created by the tax authority would go to pay off a bond to repair the dams. The same dams that GBRA neglected. However, without the water rights, it is pointless to repair the dams.

GBRA is responsible for the draining of the lakes and they need to fix this.
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 01:28 PM   #25
Radar
Pope & Young
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Pandora
Default

[QUOTE=Bort;14366581]Whoa there Bernie!

First off, McQueeney is NOT a private lake. All of the lakes are part of the Guadalupe River and are public waterways. However, it is true that Lake McQueeney does not have a public boat ramp. Because an Interstate Highway does not cross the river, the government isn't required to provide a public boat ramp. However, it could. In the past, there have been several private boat ramps that charged $5 to $10 for access; similar to the fees several public boat ramps charge on other lakes. I'm not sure what they charge now.

Second, the dams have been neglected by GBRA for years. GBRA is a quasi-governmental entity. GRBA failed to perform maintenance and made the dams unprofitable by selling off water rights upstream. GBRA has also taken Federal funds from FEMA that it claims it used to repair the dams. It looks like those funds were misappropriated. The "CEO" of GBRA also sits on the board of a nearby quarry that is receiving water rights from the GBRA. This is a big no, no for the head of quasi governmental organization. If you ask me, the GRBA stinks of corruption.

Third, the "rich people" that make up the lake residence provide tax revenue that supports the schools in Navarro and Sequin. Once the river is drained, the school districts are expecting an 18% budget short fall. Also, a lot of the residence along the river have used their lake home as a way to save for retirement.

Fourthly, the lakes provide a boon to the economy. Several camps, restaurants, camping grounds, and hotels depend on the river's draw to attract tourists.

Fifthly, the "Yacht Club" you speak of is the Lake Breeze Ski Lodge. It's a motel with a restaurant and a pool. It has been around for more than 70 years and I assure you, a Motel 6 is nicer. People go there for the tradition, not because it is a swanky country club.

While it seems that the lakes are asking for a bail out, they are trying to create a taxing authority that would tax only those with homes on the lake. The revenue created by the tax authority would go to pay off a bond to repair the dams. The same dams that GBRA neglected. However, without the water rights, it is pointless to repair the dams.

GBRA is responsible for the draining of the lakes and they need to fix this.[/QUOTE

I never said it was a private lake , re read please . I also know all about the public access drama and your country club, been in there several times, alcohol can make people talk. I used to fish there and there was a ramp at the yacht club the public could use. Another ramp was along the river behind the store too.
I do have friends that live on McQueeney, so I understand.

Hope you get to keep your lake and maintain the value of your property.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 01:43 PM   #26
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: FBG
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort View Post
Whoa there Bernie!

First off, McQueeney is NOT a private lake. All of the lakes are part of the Guadalupe River and are public waterways. However, it is true that Lake McQueeney does not have a public boat ramp. Because an Interstate Highway does not cross the river, the government isn't required to provide a public boat ramp. However, it could. In the past, there have been several private boat ramps that charged $5 to $10 for access; similar to the fees several public boat ramps charge on other lakes. I'm not sure what they charge now.

Second, the dams have been neglected by GBRA for years. GBRA is a quasi-governmental entity. GRBA failed to perform maintenance and made the dams unprofitable by selling off water rights upstream. GBRA has also taken Federal funds from FEMA that it claims it used to repair the dams. It looks like those funds were misappropriated. The "CEO" of GBRA also sits on the board of a nearby quarry that is receiving water rights from the GBRA. This is a big no, no for the head of quasi governmental organization. If you ask me, the GRBA stinks of corruption.

Third, the "rich people" that make up the lake residence provide tax revenue that supports the schools in Navarro and Sequin. Once the river is drained, the school districts are expecting an 18% budget short fall. Also, a lot of the residence along the river have used their lake home as a way to save for retirement.

Fourthly, the lakes provide a boon to the economy. Several camps, restaurants, camping grounds, and hotels depend on the river's draw to attract tourists.

Fifthly, the "Yacht Club" you speak of is the Lake Breeze Ski Lodge. It's a motel with a restaurant and a pool. It has been around for more than 70 years and I assure you, a Motel 6 is nicer. People go there for the tradition, not because it is a swanky country club.

While it seems that the lakes are asking for a bail out, they are trying to create a taxing authority that would tax only those with homes on the lake. The revenue created by the tax authority would go to pay off a bond to repair the dams. The same dams that GBRA neglected. However, without the water rights, it is pointless to repair the dams.

GBRA is responsible for the draining of the lakes and they need to fix this.
How do they plan to assess, collect and get everyone to buy in to the "tax"? Who is going to manage the rebuilding and repairs of the dams? Not sure how you get all property owners to not only to pay the taxes much less agree on an "fair" rate. It's a nightmare situation with no real solution. GBRA will not be an entity soon so there is nothing to gain from them. I'm curious how this all plays out.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 06:42 PM   #27
hunting270
Ten Point
 
hunting270's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Braunfels
Hunt In: Texas, New Mexico and Wyoming
Default

Lake Dunlap is between Canyon Lake and Lake McQueeney. The public boat ramp under IH35 is at the headwaters of it.
It's not necessarily a mud hole especially when the hidrilla was growing good. The lake record is right at 15 pounds. Now it is reduced to the Guadalupe River.
hunting270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com