Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 09-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #1
muddydog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.
Default 308 or 6.5 cr

Wanting to get into some long range target shooting. Not serious, just fun shoots. I'm very familiar with the 308. Never shot the 6.5. I know it's all the rage now, but is it really that superior to the old 308. For the record I am buying the Ruger American and probably Vortex optics. Handload eventually. Ranges probably won't be past 800 yds. What's the long range crowd think? I do know some inexpensive factory loads are good for 308. While the 6.5 is pricey for factory.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
muddydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 07:40 AM   #2
K. Lane
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kendall County Texas

as long as you like slow and boring....it's about 6 of one and a 1/2 dozen of the other. Both will be equally competent at what you are wanting to do
K. Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 07:51 AM   #3
muddydog
Ten Point

I really like a good 308. Shot many different guns in this caliber. I'm open minded to a 6.5. but never shot one. I'm betting it'd be more accurate with factory loads. I could lean either way at this point. I don't see either caliber going away soon

Old 09-10-2019, 07:57 AM   #4
K. Lane
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kendall County Texas

Just to be clear....before I get bashed, I was not trying to be a smart ***......I am just a speed freak and do not care much for the calibers that I consider slow and boring and I am not bashing either. They both are good cartridges and there is a reason that the .308 has been around as long as it has....

just wanted to clarify
K. Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #5
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I have both and like both. If I was going to build/buy a bench/fun gun for up to 800, I would easily choose the 6.5. If you bought the RPR for s little more you could have a bartlein barrel installed. Just sayin...
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #6
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Take a peek of top list

https://www.gunsandammom/editorial/t...dges/363484.co
wont let me copy to sorry

Last edited by cva34; 09-10-2019 at 08:13 AM.
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #7
muddydog
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Lane View Post
Just to be clear....before I get bashed, I was not trying to be a smart ***......I am just a speed freak and do not care much for the calibers that I consider slow and boring and I am not bashing either. They both are good cartridges and there is a reason that the .308 has been around as long as it has....

just wanted to clarify
No offense taken.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

6.5 over the .308. Run heavy for caliber bullets with better BC. Just all around better for that application.

That said .308 will do it fine at that range but the 6.5 will do it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mitchell, County

6.5 will do it easily and the 308 will to. It will be easy to find less recoil and more match ammo for the 6.5 over the 308. Also less drop and less wind drift so learning long range would be easier.
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #10
TexasWicked1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Arkansas

There is some decent feedback here, however, let's talk about the logistics here.

What scope is going to be on this rifle?

Let's just for grins say you are going to put a Nikon or a Vortex on the .308 Win. and the goal is to reach 1K or 800 even. The total amount of travel within the scope is going to run out of gas before you reach the mark due to the rainbow path required for a .308 to reach that distance. You would need to purchase in addition to the scope, a picatinny base with cant built-in so that that negative amount of travel not used in the scope can be used downrange. Sure the .308 has been around for a long time and it served a role meanwhile, although the ballistic co-efficient or lack thereof has antiquated the round. Don't get me wrong, it's a great battle cartridge and anything inside of 500 yards will have a tragic demise. However, beyond that...you are lobbing out prayers of hope to paint the target because the round becomes transonic.

Where the 6.5 performs on a different level and is more capable of achieving those distances and beyond is a result of improved BCE and velocity.

Human nature dictates a form of evolution, meaning when you have hit one goal or shooting consistently at one distance you will set the bar higher in effort to grow. Like with archery. I'm certain that many shot 20 yards until they improved accuracy and confidence was built and then you began shooting further and further. Now, with many bows...while it may be unethical for some to shoot 100 yards, many bows and hunters are confident in shooting as such as a result of due diligence and practice.

My recommendation would in fact be the Creedmoor. Because I have tested it and enjoy shooting long-range effectively with light recoil.

Hope this helps in your decision making.
TexasWicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #11
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Imo shooting both the .308 and a .260 which is basically a creed... you can’t go wrong either way, but there is definitely a ballistics advantage with the 6.5.

To achieve similar BCs you will need 168gr or heavy bullets in the 308 unless you shoot bergers you might get away with a Palma bullet(155gr). The 6.5 you will shoot 140gr more than likely.

The 308 will definitely have more recoil, drop, and wind drift... it’s noticeable greatly at 600 plus yards but I shoot mine easily to 750-800 using 178gr handloads. My 260 I shoot 140gr bullets and at 2700fps have easily had multiple hits at 1k.

They are both very versatile. Both great hunting cartridges. If your not handloading the creed might be the better choice.

Just add a 20moa base and they won’t be any worry about hitting 1k with the .308. You will probably be around 34-40moa of drop on the 308 at 1k vs 30-36moa with the creed.

Also the .308 hits and misses are much easier to spot IMO.

Last edited by BLACKFINTURKEY; 09-10-2019 at 12:12 PM.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #12
texasbbq
Six Point

All the cool kids are shooting the 6.5 Needmore.
texasbbq is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #13
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

People that talk bad about the 6.5 are the same people that think the 308 Winchester is the end all to cartridges lol.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #14
6.5CM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

6.5 saum!
6.5CM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #15
6.5CM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

I no longer have a CM... I wish I could change my name on here... lol
6.5CM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #16
mkk
Eight Point

mkk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #17
TexasTealHunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: North / Central Texas

I have the exact set up you mention in ruger American caliber 6.5 and vortex scope, was hitting 800 yds first time out, I mounted scope and am in no means a pro.
TexasTealHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #18
mkk
Eight Point

I have both, the 6.5 has less muzzle jump after the shot

My gun shoots everything from a 120 up to 143 about the same..........1 ragged hole at 100

The pic is 20 shots - 130g Sierra TGK, Hornady brass, H4350

Old 09-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #19
mkk
Eight Point

I also cut the barrel down to 18”

Old 09-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #20
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

6.5 Christ'sMissile has no bullet drop. Without a backstop it will continue around the world forever but it will also vaporize any backstop it hits so it's a very dangerous round ;-)

Good thing it cant fit into a 1911 or the entire world would be doomed.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 10:15 PM   #21
texag93
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle

6.5 shoots flatter, drifts less and quality ammo is easier to find. Easy choice for your needs.
texag93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 05:27 AM   #22
chrisk
Ten Point

I like both. Both have been shot by a lot of people so there is gobs of reloading info for both and ammo is plentiful in either cartridge.
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #23
Double-O-Dave
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for a lease

I'm a big fan of the .308 Winchester, in fact, it's my favorite center-fire rifle caliber. For hunting hogs and deer, I doubt I'd ever take a shot more than 200 yds. away unless I was in dire straits. I've never fired a 6.5, but the performance and ballistics appear to be excellent. If I had a need to shoot at something more than 200 yds. away, and especially something dangerous - i.e. humans, I'd be tempted to go with the 6.5, but would probably stay with the .308 as I'm familiar with it and I know it works.

Regards,

Dave
Double-O-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #24
mrc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young and Jack

Ive had both and ran a 140 in the 6.5 and 175 in the 308 for all practical purposes they are nearly the same in drop and drift. For targets I give the 6.5 the edge for less recoil and easier to see your hits thru the scope. For hunting I give the edge to the 308 for energy. If you are dialing in MOA or Mils a few either way is not going to make that big of a difference. I used to over complicate my shooting but I have learned to get a gun and shoot it a lot until you know it intimately, then the caliber really doesn't matter.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #25
BigJimmyRustler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasWicked1 View Post
There is some decent feedback here, however, let's talk about the logistics here.

What scope is going to be on this rifle?

Let's just for grins say you are going to put a Nikon or a Vortex on the .308 Win. and the goal is to reach 1K or 800 even. The total amount of travel within the scope is going to run out of gas before you reach the mark due to the rainbow path required for a .308 to reach that distance. You would need to purchase in addition to the scope, a picatinny base with cant built-in so that that negative amount of travel not used in the scope can be used downrange. Sure the .308 has been around for a long time and it served a role meanwhile, although the ballistic co-efficient or lack thereof has antiquated the round. Don't get me wrong, it's a great battle cartridge and anything inside of 500 yards will have a tragic demise. However, beyond that...you are lobbing out prayers of hope to paint the target because the round becomes transonic.

Where the 6.5 performs on a different level and is more capable of achieving those distances and beyond is a result of improved BCE and velocity.

Human nature dictates a form of evolution, meaning when you have hit one goal or shooting consistently at one distance you will set the bar higher in effort to grow. Like with archery. I'm certain that many shot 20 yards until they improved accuracy and confidence was built and then you began shooting further and further. Now, with many bows...while it may be unethical for some to shoot 100 yards, many bows and hunters are confident in shooting as such as a result of due diligence and practice.

My recommendation would in fact be the Creedmoor. Because I have tested it and enjoy shooting long-range effectively with light recoil.

Hope this helps in your decision making.
factory loaded Hornady ELDX doesn't go subsonic until between 1200-1300 yards in a 24" BBL and a Vortex viper 6-24x50 has 65MOA of adjustment.

Half it and subtract the 10% that generally wont be reliable in the adjustments at that puts you at about 29MOA of usable adjustment without the use of a 20MOA rail. That'll get him out to 800 to 900 yards using only dialing and that's without the addition of a inexpensive 20MOA rail. Add a rail and you're good out to about the sound barrier limit with dialing.

That said, yes, the 6.5CM is ballistically superior and is an easier caliber to shoot long range but IMO the 308's are more fun to shoot.
If the rifle might pull double duty as a LR/PRS & hunting rig i like the .308 just due to energy and bullet weight.
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #26
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

6.5 all day
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #27
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Look down the front of your shorts. If you see a pair of testicles......308 is your caliber.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 08:02 PM   #28
crash8005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking for a lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc View Post
Ive had both and ran a 140 in the 6.5 and 175 in the 308 for all practical purposes they are nearly the same in drop and drift. For targets I give the 6.5 the edge for less recoil and easier to see your hits thru the scope. For hunting I give the edge to the 308 for energy. If you are dialing in MOA or Mils a few either way is not going to make that big of a difference. I used to over complicate my shooting but I have learned to get a gun and shoot it a lot until you know it intimately, then the caliber really doesn't matter.
Define "all practical purposes" because they are not that close.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
crash8005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #29
catslayer
Pope & Young

6.5 no question...

Go look up Stick1s post a while back about the creedmore just flat getting it done
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #30
mrc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young and Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash8005 View Post
Define "all practical purposes" because they are not that close.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
If you you are shooting out to 800 or so and gauging your wind and turning your knobs, then a couple of more or less MOA is no big deal. A fun shoot more or less. If you are shooting a match at unknown distance and having to call the wind then that is a whole nother thing.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #31
RJH1
Ten Point

6.5 Creedmoor has considerably less Barrel life than a 308. 308 has about the longest Barrel life of any of your Centerfire cartridges. That might be something to consider. At 800 yards they'll both work, obviously the six 5 is better ballistically, but the 308 will do good job there as well.
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2019, 06:56 AM   #32
muddydog
Ten Point

I ended up going the 308. Ruger American with the camo stock cerokoted action and muzzle break. Getting 1" consistent groups with factory ammo. Overall I'm well pleased and will use this same gun to hunt with. Thanks for all the replies.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #33
Ksig512
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over this great state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Look down the front of your shorts. If you see a pair of testicles......308 is your caliber.
Bwahahahahaha………...post of the century
Ksig512 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #34
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post

Jeremy7306 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top