Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 07-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
Grumpyfoot

Default S.n.h.f. 2019-2020

Alright Amigos, lets get one started. Are we ready? how did everyone do last season? I didn't hunt much at all last year, new job, new house. I'm Stoked for this season though. Any pics from last year, SHNF only please.

Let's hear it...
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
ChiefWhackABuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: SHNF (unless you pay for my lease )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyfoot View Post
Alright Amigos, lets get one started. Are we ready? how did everyone do last season? I didn't hunt much at all last year, new job, new house. I'm Stoked for this season though. Any pics from last year, SHNF only please.

Let's hear it...
Eh I'm behind the ball on scouting but we will see what happens. Gotta see if grad school gives me time to hunt at all. Last season I had a number of chances to shoot deer, both at does and buck, but the stars didn't quite align. Got one with my antlerless permit in December but then ended up stabbing myself in the leg like an idiot. We will see if the thread gains any traction this season.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
ChiefWhackABuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #3
Dmillerdesign
Four Point

Hunt In: TX

Just moved to Conroe last summer and spent some time in the woods last year, no luck getting anything on the ground. Hope to have a chance at something this year. Will post updates when possible.

Also, might be good to fix title of thread to SHNF, n and h are backwards. May be easier for folks to search.
Dmillerdesign is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2019, 03:21 PM   #4
Grumpyfoot

Not sure how to edit the title. Sorry for the typo, not very savvy with typing.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Got some spots picked out for deer, can't wait for the season to start!
Jspradley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #6
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Wife leaves for a few weeks soon, gotta go scout more then.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #7
Harry
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

Have scouted anything slacking this year
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2019, 03:43 PM   #8
Grumpyfoot

I hear ya Harry, been kinda lazy myself. Gonna try a little scoutiing this weekend.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #9
matt.howell411
Four Point

Iíve been doing a little scouting with OnX. Here in a couple weeks, Iíll go check out some waypoints Iíve saved. Hopefully they look as good in person as they do on my phone. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matt.howell411 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #10
Grumpyfoot

Matt Howell, how do you like that OnX? I’ve wondered if it’s worth it.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:50 PM   #11
matt.howell411
Four Point

I think it is. They fly great and hit hard. I like the fact that theyíre so heavy while still being a micro diameter. You can find pretty good deals on eBay and Amazon too.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #12
matt.howell411
Four Point

Sorry. I was thinking my onyx arrows. Lol the app is great too. Heh itís very helpful. You can add waypoints and track your path. You can also download a portion of a map so you can still use it when you lose service.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:52 PM   #13
matt.howell411
Four Point

I got my forums mixed up. Lol

Old 07-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #14
Hooverfb
Ten Point

I just bought the onx. A couple guys on here had it when we went looking for pigs and it was miles ahead of the free stuff I was using. Figured it'll really serve me well when I head up north to meredith, and will enjoy it in the Sam for the meanwhile. Gonna try to go kill some pigs the next two weeks while wife is out of town.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2019, 10:31 AM   #15
Grumpyfoot
Four Point

Hunt In: Public Land,Zapata County

Sorry for not replying, had a little issue with my account, but the good people that run this site took care of me. Thank you Casey Morris.

I am boing to get the OnX app, I've read good things about it.

On the subject of broad heads, I've got the Grimm Reaper Whitetail Specials. They look like they are quality built, and have great reviews. Cant wait to use them.
Grumpyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #16
matt.howell411
Four Point

Anybody have pics of deer theyíve taken at the Sam Houston NF?

Old 08-01-2019, 09:29 AM   #17
Dmillerdesign
Four Point

Last years thread has some pics:
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...errerid=207048
Old 08-08-2019, 11:42 AM   #18
Romulan
Four Point

I was out there last weekend with my mt. bike (which btw - is the best thing I started to use while scouting/hunting) - anyway - I found some trees with a sign posted "Payment Unit" - the sign had Color, Unit, and Sale. I'm guessing the Forest Service sales certain trees or plots to timber companies...?
Romulan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #19
Dave

Any tips for a new NF hunter?
Do you set cams and then return and pull them? I'm assuming locks on the cam's, do you try and hide them out of site? I'm assuming look for sign in the area first before considering putting a cam up.

What kind of stands to you use? Clmbing stands, a light hang on with climbing sticks?

I like the idea of using a mountain bike to scout, how does that work for hunting? Just strap everything on and go slow in the dark?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2019, 07:49 PM   #20
Romulan
Four Point

Hey Dave - I'm not the most experienced hunter at Sam - this is my second year there - but since April I've been putting up my cameras and checking them then re-positioning/locating them in areas that I see good sign. I use cable locks around and one the camera (luckily I have't had any issues...yet).

Any mountain bike will work - don't get tricked into thinking you need to spend a thousand+ for a "hunting" bike - you can use a rear bike rack - strap your bag and stand or blind - in front you can use a pair of ATV rubber clamps to hold your bow/rifle (don't like doing this cause it can knock your sights out of alignment - if you wipe out most likely your bow/rifle will get damaged - you can strap it to your back). Or, you can go with a used child bike trailer and remove everything down to the frame and strap everything you will ever want or need (my preferred method) - it also helps to stabilize you on rough ground.

Only advice I can give is - get out there early - also, last year my buddy was walking on a designated trail and saw a guy rifle hunting out of a tree right on the main hiking trail (which is not allowed on this WMA) he called the Game Warden and the guy got a ticket - serves him right! Don't hunt on the main hiking trails you're supposed to be 150 yards away from the nearest designated trail. This place gets hunted hard so do some research on how deer behave when under high hunting pressure. Side note: not saying that anyone here is doing/or has done this - but please remember to pickup trash - I've seen countless number of water bottles, casings/shells, food wraps (i.e. granola bars), and even a couple of mattresses with broken clothes dresser.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #21
Romulan
Four Point

I have both climbing and hang-on stands - I prefer to hunt from the ground but SHNF seems like it was made to hunt elevated - you can get to some really good trails that intersect each other with a stand that hunting from the ground wouldn't be optimal. I'm considering selling both stands and go to saddle hunting - seems like it's easier to pack in and out along with my "hunting" bike I wouldn't have to tow the stands.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #22
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Any tips for a new NF hunter?
Do you set cams and then return and pull them? I'm assuming locks on the cam's, do you try and hide them out of site? I'm assuming look for sign in the area first before considering putting a cam up.

What kind of stands to you use? Clmbing stands, a light hang on with climbing sticks?

I like the idea of using a mountain bike to scout, how does that work for hunting? Just strap everything on and go slow in the dark?
Go in farther than you think you should and do not leave anything you do not want stolen. There are some great deer in there but they are smart and tough to hunt. Climbing stands work well as there are lots of good trees. Second would be a lock on.
rut-ro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 08:38 AM   #23
carbon
Nubbin' Buck

I am new to hunting, this will be my first season and I am planning on going to the west side of SHNF and doing ground hunting with a traditional Bow and a ghillie suit. Do any of you ground hunt SHNF? any tips or tactics? any equipment you suggest?
carbon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #24
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
I am new to hunting, this will be my first season and I am planning on going to the west side of SHNF and doing ground hunting with a traditional Bow and a ghillie suit. Do any of you ground hunt SHNF? any tips or tactics? any equipment you suggest?
I'm don't want to discourage you, but what you are describing is probably the hardest way to hunt white tails. They are very skittish animals and when hunted heavy, like in the NF, they are even more so. Expect to not see many deer, and be disappointed often.

Just getting close enough for a shot will be tough, then getting your bow drawn without them seeing you will be even harder and then you have to execute the shot for a proper hit.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but I'm not sure this is the way I would start out.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 04:56 PM   #25
matt.howell411
Four Point

Quote:

Get you a climbing stand and start practicing with it now. Youíll be able to get up high and see more. It will also help a little with your scent, not being on the ground. Play the wind.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #26
Harry
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

25ft or better on a climber and play the wind
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2019, 12:17 AM   #27
Romulan
Four Point

Quote:

During archery season do you still have to wear hunter orange? Last year I just always wore mine didn't want to risk getting a ticket
Old 08-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #28
matt.howell411
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulan View Post
During archery season do you still have to wear hunter orange? Last year I just always wore mine didn't want to risk getting a ticket

Anytime there is firearm hunting permitted, no matter the species, you must where hunter orange. Even if you arenít firearm hunting. So if youíre bowhunting in November, you have to where orange. Because there will be firearm hunters out also.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:21 PM   #29
carbon
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulan View Post
From my understanding it is not required in the archery only areas.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:21 PM   #30
carbon
Nubbin' Buck

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:11 PM   #31
Romulan
Four Point

Thanks
Old 08-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #32
Grumpyfoot
Four Point

Good Luck all. Be safe out there.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #33
Grumpyfoot
Four Point

I talked to the game warden 2 years ago about blaze orange. He said bow only compartments are the only place orange is not required. If you are hunting in a gun compartment, even if its bow season only, you have to wear orange. So, if guns are allowed in the area, orange is required.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:33 AM   #34
Spoiled_TN_boy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Land

We are headed out on the 23rd for a weekend of scouting.
Anyone else going to be camping at Sam that weekend?

Plan on putting up several cell cameras.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #35
caalexander4
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
We are headed out on the 23rd for a weekend of scouting.
Anyone else going to be camping at Sam that weekend?

Plan on putting up several cell cameras.

I will be out there Friday afternoon, and all day saturday. Going to try and scout the archery only areas unless something just feels good while driving around.
caalexander4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 09:16 PM   #36
mdoug1076
Four Point

Hunt In: Somerville PHL, Sam Houston National Forest WMA

I went scouting for deer hunting spots today and had the rifle for any hogs I might see. Got poured on by the rain and eventually made it to the truck. Just started driving and saw two separate groups of hogs on the road of course, they must know we canít kill them off the road. I found a really good spot and of course I saw an old ladder stand that had pine needles stacked up on it. Not trying to start an argument, but I just wanted to double check that there isnít any rules different for a National Forest versus a normal Texas WMA in regards to the 72 hour rule. Iíve seen a lot of ladder stands and permanent wooden stands out there, but I always hunt in a climber or portable hang-on stand. If the rules are different for a National Forest, then Iíd buy 2-3 cheap ladder stands and place them all over and leave them like I have been seeing, much less work than carrying my stands on my back in and out every weekend. Like I said, not starting an argument I donít care if you leave your ladder stand year round, just double checking if itís different for National Forest. Iíve been on other WMAs and have seen ďpermanentĒ stands placed....it would be nice if the owner would at least put a ď2019 tagĒ or something saying they are still going to use it and not that they didnít just want to haul it off.
mdoug1076 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 10:31 PM   #37
Romulan
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoug1076 View Post
I went scouting for deer hunting spots today and had the rifle for any hogs I might see. Got poured on by the rain and eventually made it to the truck. Just started driving and saw two separate groups of hogs on the road of course, they must know we canít kill them off the road. I found a really good spot and of course I saw an old ladder stand that had pine needles stacked up on it. Not trying to start an argument, but I just wanted to double check that there isnít any rules different for a National Forest versus a normal Texas WMA in regards to the 72 hour rule. Iíve seen a lot of ladder stands and permanent wooden stands out there, but I always hunt in a climber or portable hang-on stand. If the rules are different for a National Forest, then Iíd buy 2-3 cheap ladder stands and place them all over and leave them like I have been seeing, much less work than carrying my stands on my back in and out every weekend. Like I said, not starting an argument I donít care if you leave your ladder stand year round, just double checking if itís different for National Forest. Iíve been on other WMAs and have seen ďpermanentĒ stands placed....it would be nice if the owner would at least put a ď2019 tagĒ or something saying they are still going to use it and not that they didnít just want to haul it off.
Leaving a stand out there over 72 hours is not allowed - I would take a picture and report to Game Warden - we're all supposed to be following the rules. I've seen permanent stands and have reported to Forest Service - after a month I went back out biking/hiking and it was still there - called TPWD and it was gone after one week. I'm not trying to be a pendejo - but the rules are there for a reason (and they're pretty simple rules to follow).
Old 08-15-2019, 08:45 AM   #38
BowOnly81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF and Trinity Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyfoot View Post
I talked to the game warden 2 years ago about blaze orange. He said bow only compartments are the only place orange is not required. If you are hunting in a gun compartment, even if its bow season only, you have to wear orange. So, if guns are allowed in the area, orange is required.
Guys, read your public hunting book that comes in the mail when you buy your public land stamp. It clearly states that anytime youíre hunting on a ďunitĒ (Sam Houston Natíl Forest is one big unit), and guns are permitted (which they always are for rabbits, squirrels or hogs), you have to wear orange. Weíve talked to GWs several times about this over the years and if youíre hunting in the Sam, you have to wear orange, even if youíre in the archery only areas.
BowOnly81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #39
Dmillerdesign
Four Point

Planning on going out the weekend of the 23rd. 1st trip Taking our new camper out to Cagle with infant and 3yo. Not sure how much scouting will actually get done, but may see y'all out there.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #40
drogers6771
Four Point

Hunt In: behind the house & public

Been out a couple times over last 2 weeks. Hotter than heck tho...not seein much sign that isnt close to water. Runnin a camera in a spot that was a honey hole end of last season and 521 pics of leaves rustling lol. Creek bed was dry so they moved out for now. Wife and kids start back to school next week so probably wont get out this weekend
drogers6771 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #41
Spoiled_TN_boy
Eight Point

We are going to stay at Huntsville SP weekend of 23rd. Showers will be nice.

What's the final verdict on carrying your loaded side arm with CHL?
In the national forest.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:53 AM   #42
SwineAssassiN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop co. Brazoria co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowOnly81 View Post
Guys, read your public hunting book that comes in the mail when you buy your public land stamp. It clearly states that anytime youíre hunting on a ďunitĒ (Sam Houston Natíl Forest is one big unit), and guns are permitted (which they always are for rabbits, squirrels or hogs), you have to wear orange. Weíve talked to GWs several times about this over the years and if youíre hunting in the Sam, you have to wear orange, even if youíre in the archery only areas.
I had a game warden tell me last year orange is not required on the archery only areas, as there is no permitted gun hunting on them. I donít hunt those areas so it doesnít make a difference to me but that is just what I was told. Iíd wear orange anyways out there.
SwineAssassiN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 12:54 AM   #43
SwineAssassiN
Ten Point

Quote:

In the national forest.
You donít need a chl to open carry it, but you do need one to conceal carry
Old 08-16-2019, 12:57 AM   #44
SwineAssassiN
Ten Point

Heading out Saturday for my second scouting trip this month. Going to check out my go to spots and see how they are looking and then plan on checking a couple new areas. Planning on bringing lots of water!
Old 08-16-2019, 05:26 AM   #45
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Quote:

In the national forest.
Season before last I was told by the GW you had to have CHL to carry on federal land.
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #46
Spoiled_TN_boy
Eight Point

Thanks guys! I carried the last time my son and I hunted out there.

Think I'm going to camp at Huntsville SP. My Onx looks like a christmas tree with 1,000,000 pins. Narrowing down this week to top 10 just in case the areas are unwalkable when I arrive.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #47
BassMaster13
Four Point

Hunt In: SETX, WTX

Here's a little link to help correctly answer most of the questions being asked. You don't want to explain to the GW "Some guy on the internet told me ...."

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5426745.pdf
BassMaster13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #48
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find

Tagged

Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 03:28 PM   #49
Dmillerdesign
Four Point

Nice! No tag for me, I'll just have to hope for a swamp monster to make a mistake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
Tagged

Old 09-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #50
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Default S.n.h.f. 2019-2020

Iíll be hunting the Sam for my first time this year. Been 20+ yrs since Iíve tried public. Have some spots to check out hopefully after this rain stops. Kinda neutralized the spots I was planning to search for water though. I probably wonít hunt until late archery season, probably not at all in November then later December when most go back inside. Plan to see if I can get away from the crowd. Aim small

Last edited by TXOUTLAW; 09-18-2019 at 11:50 AM.
TXOUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top