Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
jdunn6092
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ingleside
Hunt In: Texas
Default How shot a nilgai with a bow???

Has anyone got a nilgai with a bow? If so what was your bow, arrow, and broadhead setup. Iím going to make a new arrow build this year but wanted to hear from some people first. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 01:36 PM   #2
bigharge
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default

Hoyt Carbon Defiant
65lb
29" Black Eagle Spartan with a 75 grain insert and Iron Will 125g broadhead

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
bigharge is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #3
GBludau
Eight Point
 
GBludau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn6092 View Post
Has anyone got a nilgai with a bow? If so what was your bow, arrow, and broadhead setup. Iím going to make a new arrow build this year but wanted to hear from some people first. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have taken a 400lb cow with my bow.

70lb Halon 32 30.5DL 507 grains Kinetic Kaos 10.4gpi Rage Trypan.

Did not recover arrow. Full pass thru.

Hard quartering away. Entered left stomach, exit right shoulder. Recovered in 200 yards.

I'd recommended hard quartering away shots for his reason.

You are always guaranteed an entrance hole if you arrow an animal, not an exit. I shoot that 2" Trypan because its not failed me and leaves a huge entrance and exit. The hide of a nilgai is thick and it closes up. Have shot them with a .257 Weatherby rifle at 25 yards and never had a blood trail.

However, I'd probably go with a fixed broadhead for nilgai. I've cleaned several nilgai and their ribs are immense and dense. I do not see a 2" rage making it through those ribs successfully. Nor do I believe an arrow will break the rib of a larger nilgai and keep penetrating.


If I was strictly hunting for nilgai, I'd be slinging the heaviest arrow and heaviest fixed blade broadhead I possinly can. 600gr plus.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
Slick8
Pope & Young
 
Slick8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, Texas
Hunt In: In the woods
Default

I haven't shot one with a bow...YET. But it's on my list to do.

I've seen reports and video's on here where many BH's have been used.

I'd for sure use a good arrow with a very high FOC, say 20%. I'm shooting Black Eagles and can easily reach 20% with a 125 grain BH and inserts.

I'd be hard pressed to not shoot them with a 125 Ramcat but I'm not sure how those blades would hold up to a big bull. I do know there's been a ton of elk killed with em.

I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on a 125 grain GrizzTrick. Paired with an arrow of adequate weight and high FOC, that would give you a 1.25x1.25 very strong and sharp 4 blade killer. Just a thought on my part but it's a known killer.
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #5
TexasTK
Ten Point
 
TexasTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: Dimmit County & Beyond
Default

I have shot a bull and I have two very good friends who have killed over a dozen between them. Nothing special required, typical setup you would use for whitetail, 65# or better bow w a 430 gr plus arrow. Vitals are somewhat low to the front. A quartering away shot is deadly.
Good luck
TexasTK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #6
jdunn6092
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ingleside
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigharge View Post
Hoyt Carbon Defiant
65lb
29" Black Eagle Spartan with a 75 grain insert and Iron Will 125g broadhead

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk


Sweet. Cool setup. How much penetration did you get?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #7
jdunn6092
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ingleside
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
I have taken a 400lb cow with my bow.

70lb Halon 32 30.5DL 507 grains Kinetic Kaos 10.4gpi Rage Trypan.

Did not recover arrow. Full pass thru.

Hard quartering away. Entered left stomach, exit right shoulder. Recovered in 200 yards.

I'd recommended hard quartering away shots for his reason.

You are always guaranteed an entrance hole if you arrow an animal, not an exit. I shoot that 2" Trypan because its not failed me and leaves a huge entrance and exit. The hide of a nilgai is thick and it closes up. Have shot them with a .257 Weatherby rifle at 25 yards and never had a blood trail.

However, I'd probably go with a fixed broadhead for nilgai. I've cleaned several nilgai and their ribs are immense and dense. I do not see a 2" rage making it through those ribs successfully. Nor do I believe an arrow will break the rib of a larger nilgai and keep penetrating.


If I was strictly hunting for nilgai, I'd be slinging the heaviest arrow and heaviest fixed blade broadhead I possinly can. 600gr plus.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk


Awesome. Thank you for all the info. Iím shooting iron will broadheads and love them. Only the last hunting season Iíve taken 1 Muley, 2 whitetail and 4 pigs. Iím hoping to get a nilgai with them this year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #8
jdunn6092
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ingleside
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTK View Post
I have shot a bull and I have two very good friends who have killed over a dozen between them. Nothing special required, typical setup you would use for whitetail, 65# or better bow w a 430 gr plus arrow. Vitals are somewhat low to the front. A quartering away shot is deadly.

Good luck


Is there any info with pictures of the vitals? Iím curious on where and how big the vitals are.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #9
jdunn6092
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ingleside
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post
I haven't shot one with a bow...YET. But it's on my list to do.

I've seen reports and video's on here where many BH's have been used.

I'd for sure use a good arrow with a very high FOC, say 20%. I'm shooting Black Eagles and can easily reach 20% with a 125 grain BH and inserts.

I'd be hard pressed to not shoot them with a 125 Ramcat but I'm not sure how those blades would hold up to a big bull. I do know there's been a ton of elk killed with em.

I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on a 125 grain GrizzTrick. Paired with an arrow of adequate weight and high FOC, that would give you a 1.25x1.25 very strong and sharp 4 blade killer. Just a thought on my part but it's a known killer.


I havenít used the grizztrick but Iíve killed a ton of pigs with the slick trick magnums. I just donít want to use a replacement blade broadhead on an animal I may only get one shot at. Ha


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #10
Texastaxi
Pope & Young
 
Texastaxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: West of Houston
Hunt In: now accepting invitations!
Default

Andy Crow shot one in the throat. I don't remember what broadhead he was using.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #11
jdunn6092
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ingleside
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
Andy Crow shot one in the throat. I don't remember what broadhead he was using.


Well that works. Haha


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #12
Jspradley
Ten Point
 
Jspradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: League City, TX
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
Andy Crow shot one in the throat. I don't remember what broadhead he was using.
I saw one that had been full frontal'ed one in the throat with an xbow... exited behind the ribcage, ran about 20 yards and piled up. I think it was a Ramcat BH.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2019, 03:34 AM   #13
RGV Hunter
Six Point
 
RGV Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Hunt In: Anywhere I can legally
Default

80# draw, 29" Draw Length, victory XV300 arrow with a hundred grain ramcat, shooting a High Country X12 bow. 55 yard shot. Broadside shot, broke one rib, penetrated the heart about two inches. It ran 100 yards. Bled like a leaking power washer all over the place.

Another one was a 20 yard broadside shot. Double lung pass through. Arrow hit a tree on the other side and shattered. Used the same set up. Some say the arrow is too light but it works for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2019, 10:35 PM   #14
jdunn6092
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ingleside
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV Hunter View Post
80# draw, 29" Draw Length, victory XV300 arrow with a hundred grain ramcat, shooting a High Country X12 bow. 55 yard shot. Broadside shot, broke one rib, penetrated the heart about two inches. It ran 100 yards. Bled like a leaking power washer all over the place.

Another one was a 20 yard broadside shot. Double lung pass through. Arrow hit a tree on the other side and shattered. Used the same set up. Some say the arrow is too light but it works for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk


Cool. Thanks for the info.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com