Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
Kirby86
Ten Point
 
Kirby86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: 100% Public Land.
Default Sit Drag Saddle Users

Any other converts on here?

This is my first year using it so far and Iím loving mine!

I did trash an old safety harness and speedy stitched the belt/leg loops into the back of the seat. In a tree currently or id post pics.

I tried running it with a rock harness but found it cumbersome which is why I went with attaching the old harness which I cut the shoulder straps off of. The old harness had lineman belt loops so I took climbing spec webbing and made a loop bigger than the sit drag loops. Then I girth hitched my bridge to both the sit drag and webbing thatís attached to my linemanís belt loops. I just didnít feel totally comfortable trusting only the sit drag as my fall arrest.

Iíd love to see your mods!

!
Kirby86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
LeanMachine
Ten Point
 
LeanMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canton, tx
Hunt In: east texas
Default

I just dove in anf made a full blown mantis clone. Helped that i had a boat load of sewing experinece and equipment. I have not used a treestand since i made it. I have killed 3 deer out of it so far this year. I have since upgraded the main buckle to a cobra.

I see a bow arm in your pic. Is that for your bow or camera? Ive found a screw in step is ideal to hang the bow on when using the saddle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
Kirby86
Ten Point
 
Kirby86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: 100% Public Land.
Default

Itís a camera arm, I was filming my fiancťe.

Iím trying to figure out a way around the non-penetrating tree bark issue that doesnít suck. I hunt with a recurve now and then and Iíve yet to find a good solution.

What kind of material are you using for the canvas?
Kirby86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
LeanMachine
Ten Point
 
LeanMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canton, tx
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby86 View Post
Itís a camera arm, I was filming my fiancťe.

Iím trying to figure out a way around the non-penetrating tree bark issue that doesnít suck. I hunt with a recurve now and then and Iíve yet to find a good solution.

What kind of material are you using for the canvas?
Cordura nylon

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #5
RShockley
Eight Point
 
RShockley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Public Lands
Default

I will be switching to the Mantis during the off season for next year. For public land hunting and the often long walks I put in I couldn't think of anything better then a saddle. Looking forward to getting everything together and giving it a try.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2018, 12:24 AM   #6
Ispdnxs
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: DFW and Lake Whitney
Hunt In: Various Public Lands
Default

Been curious to try this for a while, but I have some back issues that cause me problems at times. Any of yíall have any opinion if that would be an issue? I figure cutting down on my pack weight would be an obvious benefit. Also are yíall pulling all day sits in these?
Ispdnxs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2018, 07:59 AM   #7
LeanMachine
Ten Point
 
LeanMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canton, tx
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispdnxs View Post
Been curious to try this for a while, but I have some back issues that cause me problems at times. Any of yíall have any opinion if that would be an issue? I figure cutting down on my pack weight would be an obvious benefit. Also are yíall pulling all day sits in these?
I do not think a saddle will aggrevate any back issues. You can run a back support strap if necessary. Im not doing all day sits but that is just beacuse i don't want to. Im not getting down beacause i am uncomfortable. Setup properly, a saddle is as comfortable or more so than a treestand.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2018, 10:48 PM   #8
CARLOCK
Ten Point
 
CARLOCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: JOSHUA
Hunt In: TEXAS/IDAHO PUBLIC LAND
Default

I'll be in a saddle soon...
CARLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2018, 11:44 PM   #9
Kirby86
Ten Point
 
Kirby86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: 100% Public Land.
Default

So one month into using the sit drag as a saddle there are some things I wish I had done differently and some things I still havenít figured out.

Wishes:
- I wish I had sewn my old safety harness higher up on the fabric
- I wish I actually knew how to sew
- I wish I had made better adjustments for the leg loops
- I wish I could figure out how best to wear the sit drag with a backpack on. I carry too much crap, but my pack (Horn Hunter Mainbeam) has issues with the hip belt interfering with the pockets Iíve sewn onto the hip belt

Positives:

- I can literally hunt any tree I can climb. Not even joking.
- I think the molle pouches on the side are nearly a must. I thought beforehand that I would just use my pockets but the ability to know exactly where my tether and linemanís belt are at all times (especially in the dark) are pretty fantastic

I know some guys run these things with a rock climbing harness. I hate that for the fact that the Rch slides down my legs as I walk no matter how tight I cinch it, and because if Iím running the sit drag without padding (the pretty pink spare yoga mat), it binds.

What I did do was take 1 inch tubular webbing and run it through the old lineman belt loops on the sewed on harness. I then made loops big enough that they connected to the sit drag loops, but are bigger than the sit drag loops so they donít interfere when Iím hanging from the tree.

All in all, I have $60 into this project, which $35 of was the sit drag itself. The pockets I bought at a mil-surplus store. And a $5 speedy stitch from harbor freight. None of my sewing is life dependent (thank goodness ) but some of the knots are, and theyíre just girth hitched. I had the tubular webbing, the 8mm static cord and the 11mm assault line laying around, as well as the climbing carabiners.

In the future Iíll be purchasing a ropemans 1 or 2.

I know this sounds like Iím trying to sell one but if youíre thinking about a saddle, buy a sit drag! Theyíre nearly 1/10th the price and accomplish the same task. If youíre scared of the sit drag loops themselves, a rock climbing harness can be found for $30-$40. Thatís still far below what youíll pay for a Mantis, an Aerohunter, etc. Plus you can modify it how YOU want.

Iím loving this thing so far!

Name:  IMG_8675.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  73.8 KBName:  IMG_8676.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  64.4 KBName:  IMG_8677.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  58.2 KBName:  IMG_8678.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  60.7 KB
Kirby86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #10
IkemanTX
Ten Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default

I have been hunting out of mine for 3 years...
Love it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 10:07 AM   #11
IkemanTX
Ten Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
I just dove in anf made a full blown mantis clone. Helped that i had a boat load of sewing experinece and equipment. I have not used a treestand since i made it. I have killed 3 deer out of it so far this year. I have since upgraded the main buckle to a cobra.

I see a bow arm in your pic. Is that for your bow or camera? Ive found a screw in step is ideal to hang the bow on when using the saddle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


Thatís a heck of a diy saddle right there!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 10:28 AM   #12
LeanMachine
Ten Point
 
LeanMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canton, tx
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
Thatís a heck of a diy saddle right there!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like i said, i came into this project with a wealth of sewing experience and quality machines. The saddle was a very easy project. I will post a pic of something i 100% made fron scratch to give you an idea.

I shot a buck out of my saddle last night. Thats #4 for the year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 11:17 AM   #13
Kirby86
Ten Point
 
Kirby86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: 100% Public Land.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
Like i said, i came into this project with a wealth of sewing experience and quality machines. The saddle was a very easy project. I will post a pic of something i 100% made fron scratch to give you an idea.

I shot a buck out of my saddle last night. Thats #4 for the year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


Nice!

So is that belt youíre using just a tree strap?

Iím kinda sitting here thinking ďwhy didnít I think of thatĒ, rather than going the salvaged harness route.

Iím finding that the leg loops arenít exactly necessary but I think they make my fiancťe feel better about this thing. She says it looks like Iím wearing a heavy duty Depends diaper .
Kirby86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #14
LeanMachine
Ten Point
 
LeanMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canton, tx
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby86 View Post
Nice!

So is that belt youíre using just a tree strap?

Iím kinda sitting here thinking ďwhy didnít I think of thatĒ, rather than going the salvaged harness route.

Iím finding that the leg loops arenít exactly necessary but I think they make my fiancťe feel better about this thing. She says it looks like Iím wearing a heavy duty Depends diaper .
Yes it is a treestrap. Good eye. I have since upgraded the buckle to a cobra. Im probably going to give this one to a friend of mine and make another with a little stiffer webbing so the belt portion is more rigid and less floppy when putting it on.

Yea the legs straps aren't necessary but i find them beneficial. They keep the saddle from riding up off your butt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 01:56 PM   #15
Kirby86
Ten Point
 
Kirby86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: 100% Public Land.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
Yes it is a treestrap. Good eye. I have since upgraded the buckle to a cobra. Im probably going to give this one to a friend of mine and make another with a little stiffer webbing so the belt portion is more rigid and less floppy when putting it on.

Yea the legs straps aren't necessary but i find them beneficial. They keep the saddle from riding up off your butt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


Do you have adjustments on the leg straps? And my other question is if you had any issues getting the belt height on the fabric situated. I canít seem to get it just right because I wear mine when I hike in. Iíve gone the route of throwing my bridge over one shoulder to keep the sit drag from sliding, and leaving my legs outside the leg loops but itís not ideal.

Anyone else got any ideas on how to wear a pack without it interfering with the saddle carry pockets?

My problem is that I carry my bibs/jacket inside my pack and my sticks attached to the backside of the pack. I wish I could figure out a more efficient way but itís the best I can come up.
Kirby86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 02:11 PM   #16
LeanMachine
Ten Point
 
LeanMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canton, tx
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby86 View Post
Do you have adjustments on the leg straps? And my other question is if you had any issues getting the belt height on the fabric situated. I canít seem to get it just right because I wear mine when I hike in. Iíve gone the route of throwing my bridge over one shoulder to keep the sit drag from sliding, and leaving my legs outside the leg loops but itís not ideal.

Anyone else got any ideas on how to wear a pack without it interfering with the saddle carry pockets?

My problem is that I carry my bibs/jacket inside my pack and my sticks attached to the backside of the pack. I wish I could figure out a more efficient way but itís the best I can come up.
Yes my leg straps have side release buckles on them. The female portion is adjustable. I buckle mine around my waist like a normal belt. No issues. I typically do not buckle the leg straps until i get to my tree.

Id make your pockets easily removable so you can carry them in your pack and then attach them when you take the pack off at your tree. My bridge and linemans belt are long enough that i can keep them behind mine neck when walking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #17
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young
 
SolocamShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lufkin,TX
Hunt In: East TX
Default

What are y’all using for a platform? I used the bullman steps this year and I do not like them, can’t get them to hold up to side pressure without shifting. It seems to me using a metal platform you are adding a good bit of weight.
SolocamShooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 10:48 AM   #18
LeanMachine
Ten Point
 
LeanMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canton, tx
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolocamShooter View Post
What are yíall using for a platform? I used the bullman steps this year and I do not like them, canít get them to hold up to side pressure without shifting. It seems to me using a metal platform you are adding a good bit of weight.
I built a platform. It weighs 4 lbs. The weight is negligible. Lightweight has sure become fashionable in the saddle hunting community though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #19
Gil67
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolocamShooter View Post
What are yíall using for a platform? I used the bullman steps this year and I do not like them, canít get them to hold up to side pressure without shifting. It seems to me using a metal platform you are adding a good bit of weight.
If you don't mind me asking how do you get on with the bulman steps to climb with?
Gil67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 12:00 AM   #20
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young
 
SolocamShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lufkin,TX
Hunt In: East TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
I built a platform. It weighs 4 lbs. The weight is negligible. Lightweight has sure become fashionable in the saddle hunting community though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thatís pretty slick, did you use something that you modified or just build it from scratch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil67 View Post
If you don't mind me asking how do you get on with the bulman steps to climb with?
I donít climb with the bullman steps I was using them on a ratchet strap for a platform. I never could get them tight enough to the tree to hold up to side pressure.
SolocamShooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 08:20 AM   #21
LeanMachine
Ten Point
 
LeanMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canton, tx
Hunt In: east texas
Default

I just designed and but from scratch

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 07:43 AM   #22
public
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Keller, Tx
Hunt In: Fannin, Houston, Grayson
Default

I'm all in....bought a Mantis and a Predator.
public is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 04:40 PM   #23
TradHunter
Six Point
 
TradHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: DFW Area
Default

Where can you buy sitdrag from?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TradHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 10:33 PM   #24
IkemanTX
Ten Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TradHunter View Post
Where can you buy sitdrag from?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BSVIZPW..._ElapCbZW00B9Y


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2019, 08:51 AM   #25
Low Fence
Pope & Young
 
Low Fence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Quitman, Tx.
Default

Any of y’all able to splice climbing rope?
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #26
IkemanTX
Ten Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
Any of yíall able to splice climbing rope?


Anything I need spliced except Amsteel, I buy spliced...
with almost all sheathed ropes, it is WELL worth the cost.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 06:33 PM   #27
Low Fence
Pope & Young
 
Low Fence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Quitman, Tx.
Default

I put a component list in the diy forum. Was easy to do and works amazing.
Attached Images
 
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com