Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 12-04-2018, 11:47 AM   #701
Tiburon1
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyGarcia View Post
Can you link/post the video here i would like to see it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.facebook.com/jantuckerwh...Tk2MTQ3MDkxOQ/

Hope that works.
Tiburon1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #702
cookemerkel
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyGarcia View Post
Can you link/post the video here i would like to see it

https://www.facebook.com/jantuckerwh...5665059950919/
cookemerkel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #703
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
Put nilgai bull and cow to bed last night! One more chance this morn! Then heading home. All the seasoned hunters that have been hunting here say either try for the first archery or rifle but obviously we could possibly get a nilgai and have seen 12 total! Deer here are avg size and I can kill those at home!
Nice!!!! Congrats! We need to see pics!
Jspradley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #704
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can legally

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachwhip View Post
We concluded our hunt last night and all I will say is that numbers of nilgai are way down compared to 2 years ago. I won't mention specific numbers but from what we were hearing the helicopter hunts really impacted numbers and speaking with other hunters in the field agree. I wish all the luck to hunters on the next go around.
Coachwhip, sent you a PM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
RGV Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #705
NeedmoreOutdoor
Four Point

Hunt In: South East Texas and the Texas Hill Country

NeedmoreOutdoor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #706
Jspradley
Ten Point

WAY more of everything killed than last year... wow
Old 12-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #707
DannyGarcia
Spike

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon1 View Post

Thanks it worked, man i hope they start to have alligator hunts, too many of those creatures floating around the waters of atascosa

DannyGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 03:24 PM   #708
Falling
Six Point

was a fun hunt cool place, will be back. saw deer nilgi and hogs.

main tip: bring a tripod, 7 to 16 feet tall, tall grass all over the place.

second tip: bring chaps, saw a few snakes, and thorns everywhere

Last edited by Falling; 12-04-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Falling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 10:46 PM   #709
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Hunt In: GRANGER LAKE, TX 25 YEARS/COLORADO 3 YEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
Nice!!!! Congrats! We need to see pics!
Not 2 bed!! like watched them bed down for the night!!!I wish I could had got one!!!not me. Never saw one within 100 yds.
NAVY CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 01:07 AM   #710
Ispdnxs
Six Point

Hunt In: Various Public Lands

Finally winding down from a long week of hunting. Plenty of ups and downs along the way for a first time trip. I will always appreciate the awesome experience of this one. This is the first TP&W drawn hunt I have ever done and will hopefully not be the last. Saw a large variety of wildlife. It was a little sad at the end as I could not recover the buck I shot today. Even though we could not find him after several hours I am still very appreciative For my friend that helped do the tracking and the staff that was patient with us and helped get us out safely. I will write more about the experience if y’all are interested, but I wanted to use this as a platform to thank the folks (paid and volunteers) that put this hunt on. I also I owe thanks to TBH for making it possible to meet good folks as well. Hope everyone has a safe trip home.
Ispdnxs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 01:38 AM   #711
Stx86
Spike

Would like to hear more about your hunt

Stx86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #712
RiverRat00
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stx86 View Post
Would like to hear more about your hunt

Same here..
RiverRat00 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 01:16 PM   #713
dannorocks
Four Point

Hunt In: Green Plaid

I saw only two bucks while hunting there. The other was bigger. I shot this buck with 10 minutes of shooting light left. All I had was a quartering shot and no time so I sent it to the boiler house. I thought, maybe I missed but I shot 15 yards. No blood. I had a gut feeling the arrow was in him and the guts sealed the wound channel up. I saw him run maybe 80 yards and darted to the left. I looked and looked and still no blood. The wildlife refuge said I couldn't keep on him if there was no blood, so I looked in the morning. Zig zagged and followed deer trails and found him about 130 yards away. Didn't leave a drop of blood! Hauled him 2.5 miles on my bike to get him out.

It was a great time, lots of kind people willing to help each other out and sharing roughly where each other's hunting to leave space for each other, that seemed to work out to me. Most people I saw hunting though really kept near the roads, I shot this one deeper in the brush. I saw lots of nilgai sign but fresher deer sign where I shot him, so pick your quarry and hunt them hard!
Attached Images

dannorocks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #714
Reaper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the woods

Nice work on that recovery with no blood. Also thanks for posting up the board results. I'm leaving my house in about 18 hours, can't wait to get there!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #715
dannorocks
Four Point

Hunt In: Green Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Nice work on that recovery with no blood. Also thanks for posting up the board results. I'm leaving my house in about 18 hours, can't wait to get there!

Good luck!
dannorocks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #716
Jspradley
Ten Point

Wife and I are headed down there in the morning! Glad yall left some for us!! :-D
Old 12-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #717
Haunting
Nubbin' Buck

Nice job on the recovery! I am heading down there tonight, plan to scout me a spot in the morning before the Orientation. Good luck everyone, maybe I will see you there!
Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #718
WTJim
Ten Point

2 buddies and I are headed down in the morning. How is the cellular service(Verizon) on the NWR?
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #719
cookemerkel
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispdnxs View Post
Finally winding down from a long week of hunting. Plenty of ups and downs along the way for a first time trip. I will always appreciate the awesome experience of this one. This is the first TP&W drawn hunt I have ever done and will hopefully not be the last. Saw a large variety of wildlife. It was a little sad at the end as I could not recover the buck I shot today. Even though we could not find him after several hours I am still very appreciative For my friend that helped do the tracking and the staff that was patient with us and helped get us out safely. I will write more about the experience if y’all are interested, but I wanted to use this as a platform to thank the folks (paid and volunteers) that put this hunt on. I also I owe thanks to TBH for making it possible to meet good folks as well. Hope everyone has a safe trip home.
I would love to hear it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannorocks View Post
I saw only two bucks while hunting there. The other was bigger. I shot this buck with 10 minutes of shooting light left. All I had was a quartering shot and no time so I sent it to the boiler house. I thought, maybe I missed but I shot 15 yards. No blood. I had a gut feeling the arrow was in him and the guts sealed the wound channel up. I saw him run maybe 80 yards and darted to the left. I looked and looked and still no blood. The wildlife refuge said I couldn't keep on him if there was no blood, so I looked in the morning. Zig zagged and followed deer trails and found him about 130 yards away. Didn't leave a drop of blood! Hauled him 2.5 miles on my bike to get him out.

It was a great time, lots of kind people willing to help each other out and sharing roughly where each other's hunting to leave space for each other, that seemed to work out to me. Most people I saw hunting though really kept near the roads, I shot this one deeper in the brush. I saw lots of nilgai sign but fresher deer sign where I shot him, so pick your quarry and hunt them hard!

Congrats! Did you see any rut activity?
Old 12-05-2018, 03:37 PM   #720
txhushlife
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Man that was a tough hunt, we were fortunate enough to land a nice doe, had an opportunity of 2 doe's coming down a trail which would've given me a 12yd shot, I drew back as I was in a really nice brush blind under a tree, clipped a twig and they both took off for about 20yds. They both ended up working their way back across my field of view and shooting lane which was about 2-3 feet wide and she stopped at the brush line which I had ranged at 44yds, adjusted sight when I knew she was walking the brush line i ranged, drew back and let her fly and it couldn't have been any more perfect of a shot, complete pass through on the pump station and she ran no more then 20yds and there she laid. the last hour on our last evening of the trip and it felt so good to be rewarded with the opportunity after 4 longgggg days of hard hunting. Frustration, dehydration, blisters, thorns, mosquitoes, chiggers, snakes, more thorns, no sighting of any animals, a ton of orange everywhere, muddy swampy tall grass, and in the end it was so worth it and id do this hunt 100 times over. love this place. 31.38 miles on foot throughout those days. We definitely did not slack on the working end for it. and if it wasn't for me and my hunting partner continuously pushing each other through those hard frustrating moments then it would not have gone as it did. DO NOT GIVE UP ON THIS HUNT. Hope to get drawn again as we learned a lot this year and just built up more knowledge of this place to come back even stronger next year.
Attached Images

Last edited by txhushlife; 12-05-2018 at 03:41 PM.
txhushlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #721
cookemerkel
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhushlife View Post
Man that was a tough hunt, we were fortunate enough to land a nice doe, had an opportunity of 2 doe's coming down a trail which would've given me a 12yd shot, I drew back as I was in a really nice brush blind under a tree, clipped a twig and they both took off for about 20yds. They both ended up working their way back across my field of view and shooting lane which was about 2-3 feet wide and she stopped at the brush line which I had ranged at 44yds, adjusted sight when I knew she was walking the brush line i ranged, drew back and let her fly and it couldn't have been any more perfect of a shot, complete pass through on the pump station and she ran no more then 20yds and there she laid. the last hour on our last evening of the trip and it felt so good to be rewarded with the opportunity after 4 longgggg days of hard hunting. Frustration, dehydration, blisters, thorns, mosquitoes, chiggers, snakes, more thorns, no sighting of any animals, a ton of orange everywhere, muddy swampy tall grass, and in the end it was so worth it and id do this hunt 100 times over. love this place. 31.38 miles on foot throughout those days. We definitely did not slack on the working end for it. and if it wasn't for me and my hunting partner continuously pushing each other through those hard frustrating moments then it would not have gone as it did. DO NOT GIVE UP ON THIS HUNT. Hope to get drawn again as we learned a lot this year and just built up more knowledge of this place to come back even stronger next year.

Way to stick it out and make a great shot, congrats!

What unit were you hunting in? Did yall hunt any other units?
Old 12-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #722
Stx86
Spike

Great shot and congratulations...... Second chances aren't unplanned.....God is good

Old 12-06-2018, 01:25 AM   #723
Ispdnxs
Six Point

Hunt In: Various Public Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat00 View Post
Same here..
Will try to write something up tomorrow, just got back to my place in DFW. It has been a long 7 days. Looks like a bunch of rain on the way up here, so good excuse to relax and catch up on things.
Ispdnxs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #724
Jspradley
Ten Point

I'm on the road! Good luck to all the other green screen hunters!

..unless you're about to kill one that's coming my way...lol!
Old 12-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #725
Tiburon1
Nubbin' Buck

I'll be banging away on the ducks but will stay out of Rattlesnake on Saturday and Sunday for those of you attempting to hunt Horsehead. Be prepared for a bunch of duck hunters and some airboats in that bay. There was someone stalking the entire south side of it (horsehead) last Saturday and I didn't see him push anything out. I was fishing a hundred yards or so off the bank.
Tiburon1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #726
Haunting
Nubbin' Buck

Here for Orientation now, but did some exploring this morning and found me what looks to be a promising spot a few miles away from the roads we can drive on so hopefully I won't be surrounded by orange in the morning. Set up a pop up under a tree and brushed it in with a pile of dead limbs that was laying around tree.
It is about 20 yards off a natural game trail with alot tracks on it. We will see what happens. Of course there are tracks all over the place. Definitely challenging terrain on a bike. Good luck everyone!
Old 12-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #727
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunting View Post
Here for Orientation now, but did some exploring this morning and found me what looks to be a promising spot a few miles away from the roads we can drive on so hopefully I won't be surrounded by orange in the morning. Set up a pop up under a tree and brushed it in with a pile of dead limbs that was laying around tree.
It is about 20 yards off a natural game trail with alot tracks on it. We will see what happens. Of course there are tracks all over the place. Definitely challenging terrain on a bike. Good luck everyone!
Were you the one that asked about using dead branches and they told no?

Wish they would’ve kicked the guy out arguing with the wardens about the motorized bikes! Good luck tomorrow.
BigRed323 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 06:15 PM   #728
GBludau
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post

Wish they would’ve kicked the guy out arguing with the wardens about the motorized bikes! Good luck tomorrow.
You better kill something, Red.
Or you're going to hear it from me!

I'll have my pat on the backs waiting...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
GBludau is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 06:39 PM   #729
returning egret
Spike

Hunt In: Camo

Anyone using Bobcat road, be careful. Somebody has set a popup 20 yds off the road part way down. When passing sing your favorite song out loud, LOUD so they don't mistake you for an orange Nilgai!
returning egret is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 06:48 PM   #730
Stx86
Spike

Sorry about loud children I was on daddy duty and dads gotta do what a dads gotta do

Old 12-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #731
BigRed323
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
You better kill something, Red.
Or you're going to hear it from me!

I'll have my pat on the backs waiting...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hopefully so! Lol
Old 12-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #732
RuebenCaballero
Nubbin' Buck

Last year the laguna master and I ran into the guy with the motorized bike. He told us “sucks to be you.” Later they were looking for his ***. Ran into him today and I was like “oh yeah your the same guy from last year.” Seems like he was begging to have his permit removed.
RuebenCaballero is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 07:55 PM   #733
Texas Kidd
Six Point

Hunt In: Dryden, Texas

Y'all talking about Mr. Lawyer? Lol That orientation was entertaining.
Texas Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 08:03 PM   #734
Haunting
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:

Yes that was me, going have to put everything back the way found it tomorrow.

I agree about the guy that wanted to argue. Good luck to you as well!

Last edited by Haunting; 12-06-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #735
Reaper
Pope & Young

That guy with the motorized bike permit arguing with the wardens was a moron. Come on buddy, we want to go scout a little.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #736
BigRed323
Ten Point

Rain is forecasted at 30% so likely gonna rain about 3 feet of water.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #737
m10
Four Point

Hunt In: East, South, hill country

Good luck to y’all.
Few more weeks for me to give it a go.
m10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #738
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHunter View Post
Would y’all recommend a tripod over a pop up blind?

Tall tall grass....and so thick u don't need a popup! U can nestle inside a mesquite or just take a bow stool
Old 12-06-2018, 10:21 PM   #739
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Saw a lot of hunters with aluminum tripods
Old 12-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #740
Stx86
Spike

Any dirt napping yet?

Old 12-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #741
BigRed323
Ten Point

Ain’t seen nothing yet. Although I’m sitting in a less than ideal spot cuz where I had in mind already had 2 people sitting there...
Old 12-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #742
Stx86
Spike

Quote:
Ain’t seen nothing yet. Although I’m sitting in a less than ideal spot cuz where I had in mind already had 2 people sitting there...

What compartment are you in?

Old 12-07-2018, 09:43 AM   #743
BigRed323
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stx86 View Post
What compartment are you in?

Dos

You?

Last edited by BigRed323; 12-07-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #744
hound dog
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Good luck guys, my buddies tag teamed a cow nilgai in unit 1 on last hunt.
One misjudged and hit her low, then she went by another friend and he tagged her high.
Jumped her 2 hours later and she didn't even look hurt.
They make the distance misleading because of their size, so have a range finder handy, or pre-range all the structure around your spot.
Ya''ll Shoot Straight and Shoot Often!!
hound dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #745
Reaper
Pope & Young

Saw a pretty nice wtd this morning

Old 12-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #746
Nicholson84
Spike

Well my rain gear works!!!
Nicholson84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 01:27 PM   #747
CARLOCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS/IDAHO PUBLIC LAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson84 View Post
Well my rain gear works!!!
UA rain gear is working for me
CARLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #748
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Three Rivers, Tx

Saw about 8 cows this morning and a nice mature buck chasing a doe hard. Snuck up on the cow from about 200y but got busted at around 80y out. Seconds after putting arrow back in quiver, a herd literally almost run me over. I was able to let one fly at the last one and my lead was perfect but just a tad too high. Exciting hunt. Debating on walking back out. If rain doesn’t stop by 230 I’ll just come back in the morning.
PBUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #749
Stx86
Spike

Nice encounter

Old 12-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #750
Texas Kidd
Six Point

Hunt In: Dryden, Texas

Haven't seen a thing but mosquitoes and ticks.
Texas Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top