Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-22-2018, 03:51 AM   #601
Stx86
Spike

Hello.... I'll see you in December
Stx86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2018, 03:52 AM   #602
Stx86
Spike

Text me if you have any questions I was there last year
Old 11-22-2018, 04:00 PM   #603
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can legally

For those of you coming on the next bow hunt. Bring waterproof everything. It is a muddy mess.
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #604
CARLOCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS/IDAHO PUBLIC LAND

I'll be down for the next archery hunt anyone going from dfw.. area..

Following for tips!!
CARLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2018, 04:59 PM   #605
NeedmoreOutdoor
Four Point

Hunt In: South East Texas and the Texas Hill Country

I will be there for the next week of archery hunting as well. Will be trying to get everything payed out and packed this weekend. Will definitely bring some wet weather gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NeedmoreOutdoor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #606
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

I was walking around back behind my stand which I thought was a little higher ground. I was in waist high grasses and saw grass...and in standing water. Was not very comforting. Luckily, no snakes(at that time). Glad I had my pop up. It rained several times and I was out there all day, every day.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2018, 08:24 PM   #607
cull one
Spike

Has any one had problems with their stuff being taken? Is it safe to leave your carts and bikes off the edge of the trial? Do you leave your stands out overnight? Thanks
cull one is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #608
Huntindad
Pope & Young

I was hesitant, but left bike and cart by road. Had several(lots) folks go by first day. I was close to private property / houses in unit 1. I had zero issues. One of the guys in my group left their range finder on truck bed top...all day in the parking lot off 106. It was still there after dark. I think all in all, folks respect others property.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:10 PM   #609
DPerez905
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca co, Nueces co, runnels co, zapata co,Henderson co, wherever else I get the invite

I did a couple years back have my backpack and my brothers back pack stolen from the bed of my pickup. There are a few hunters out there that have sticky fingers but Im sure most are all stand up guys and gals.

DPerez905 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2018, 11:35 PM   #610
RGV Hunter
Six Point

We left the game cart in the brush the entire time and no problems. I would not recommend removing your stand everyday. It should be okay. Bikes are left by the trail all the time by hunters while they are hunting. I would say the biggest risk is parking on the side of the road on Hwy 106 and having someone drive by and take something but even then nothing happened to us. We had coolers and other items in the bed of the truck and nothing walked off. I can't say it will not happen but we were all good. Game wardens are patrolling all over the place, I am sure that helps.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #611
cull one
Spike

Thanks for all the replies. I will be down for the next archery hunt and I will let y'all know how it goes. I am really looking forward to it!
cull one is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #612
Tomahawk54
Nubbin' Buck

Any of you guys have experience shooting bulls with slick trick magnums? These fly the best out of my set up. Little bit of a steep angle on the blades but I'm shooting 70# at 30" draw.
Tomahawk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #613
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk54 View Post
Any of you guys have experience shooting bulls with slick trick magnums? These fly the best out of my set up. Little bit of a steep angle on the blades but I'm shooting 70# at 30" draw.

How much does your arrow weigh? Id say for those of you that plan on going after a nilgai bull gear up with an FMJ or any arrow that runs 11GPI or better. Ill be shooting a 536 grain Axis with a G5 montec.

HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #614
Tomahawk54
Nubbin' Buck

Total arrow weight is 490 grains. 250 spine.
Tomahawk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2018, 02:11 PM   #615
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk54 View Post
Total arrow weight is 490 grains. 250 spine.

You should be alright.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:20 AM   #616
Brown E
Four Point

Tomahawk, you are more than fine. I shoot slick tricks, 70#, 29 1/2" draw, 450 grains. Anything into the vitals and you are gold.
Brown E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2018, 10:12 AM   #617
Stx86
Spike

Can any text we a copy of scouting permit
I accidentally deleted mine
Old 11-25-2018, 02:18 AM   #618
Falling
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stx86 View Post
Can any text we a copy of scouting permit
I accidentally deleted mine
I can't find mine either
Anyone know what the subject of the email was?
Falling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2018, 03:17 AM   #619
debugprince
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Zavala county
Default Laguna Atascosa 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falling View Post
I can't find mine either
Anyone know what the subject of the email was?

TPWD - National Refuge Archery Deer - (your name)

debugprince is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #620
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land
Thumbs up Wardens

A couple friends, my brother and I went and got skunked. Had a blast. If someone already said it and I missed it, the wardens there were great. Really nice guys and gals. Hats off to them.

Pablo
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #621
enewman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
A couple friends, my brother and I went and got skunked. Had a blast. If someone already said it and I missed it, the wardens there were great. Really nice guys and gals. Hats off to them.

Pablo
didn't you stay at some old folks retreat
enewman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2018, 07:50 PM   #622
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpablo View Post

Pablo
From what I heard...1 person was cited for baiting(in back of truck I think).
the volunteers/staff were great to work with. Friendly & helpful. I spoke with a guy who had dealings with wardens due to stuff in the bed of his truck and he was impressed/thankful for their professionalism.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:08 PM   #623
calfroper_06
Six Point

Hunt In: Grimes

I was wondering how serious they were about the corn kernel's, etc in the back of a truck. I heard a hunter walked up on some bait in the field as well that others were hunting the day prior.
calfroper_06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2018, 10:31 PM   #624
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Cotulla

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfroper_06 View Post
I was wondering how serious they were about the corn kernel's, etc in the back of a truck. I heard a hunter walked up on some bait in the field as well that others were hunting the day prior.

Met a couple guys that got ticketed for getting out late on day of orientation. Then next morning forgot to put vehicle tag in windshield, same warden talked to them but did not ticket them.
Yes overall a good hunt, I got skunked myself but had a good time. Probably wont be back, just not my cup. Id like to see them control hunter numbers in each unit/pasture.

Jen-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2018, 11:02 PM   #625
calfroper_06
Six Point

Hunt In: Grimes

[QUOTE=Jen-Man;13814862]Met a couple guys that got ticketed for getting out late on day of orientation. Then next morning forgot to put vehicle tag in windshield, same warden talked to them but did not ticket them.
Yes overall a good hunt, I got skunked myself but had a good time. Probably wont be back, just not my cup. Id like to see them control hunter numbers in each unit/pasture.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Yes sir. I forgot my tag the first morning and recieved a notice on my windshield from officer Garcia. Didn't forget it the remainder of the hunt haha. I enjoy the hunt, this was my second year, second year to get skunked as well. My main focus was nilgai both hunts, its more of a luck of the draw that your sitting when/where they might walk by. Absolutely no pattern, especially when 200+ hunter show up. I would like a smaller amount and given sections like you mentioned. It was this way at Kickapoo several years ago, had around 900 acres for 2 of us.
calfroper_06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2018, 12:44 AM   #626
RGV Hunter
Six Point

[quote=calfroper_06;13814932]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen-Man View Post
Met a couple guys that got ticketed for getting out late on day of orientation. Then next morning forgot to put vehicle tag in windshield, same warden talked to them but did not ticket them.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Yes sir. I forgot my tag the first morning and recieved a notice on my windshield from officer Garcia. Didn't forget it the remainder of the hunt haha. I enjoy the hunt, this was my second year, second year to get skunked as well. My main focus was nilgai both hunts, its more of a luck of the draw that your sitting when/where they might walk by. Absolutely no pattern, especially when 200+ hunter show up. I would like a smaller amount and given sections like you mentioned. It was this way at Kickapoo several years ago, had around 900 acres for 2 of us.
In my opinion, if they do it like that with the number of hunters that put in for this hunt it could be years before you even get selected for a hunt or not selected at all. You would probably stand a better chance at getting selected at the chaparral.

It would be like the rifle hunt. Speaking for myself, 18 years applying and have never been selected.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:23 AM   #627
Huntindad
Pope & Young

They have the acreage for the number of hunters. However, I also would like to see it more organized as to how many folks in each unit, or create more compartments to assign folks to.
This was my first year down. Was a challenging hunt. Will apply again.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:13 AM   #628
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
They have the acreage for the number of hunters. However, I also would like to see it more organized as to how many folks in each unit, or create more compartments to assign folks to.
This was my first year down. Was a challenging hunt. Will apply again.
Another potential problem with assigning hunters to a unit will be the weather. If you are assigned unit 2, 3 or 5 you will not be able to get there if it rains. It would not be fair to the hunters assigned to those units. Also unit 3 is about two or three miles away at its nearest point while unit 1, 6 or 8 is just a matter of crossing the fence. That would not be fair either. Lots of variables to consider if they assigned unit to each hunter.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #629
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by cull one View Post
Has any one had problems with their stuff being taken? Is it safe to leave your carts and bikes off the edge of the trial? Do you leave your stands out overnight? Thanks
We saw several bikes out on the side of the trail last year, didn't hear about any thefts.

I would personally drag mine off into the brush a little bit but I wouldnt worry too much
Jspradley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #630
coachwhip
Eight Point

Someone mentioned a scouting permit? Did i miss that somewhere in the emails, I thought your hunting permit was all that was needed.. Does anyone have the maps with the unit numbers?
Thanks looking forward to seeing everyone on this coming up hunt?
coachwhip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #631
Txfire409
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
I would personally drag mine off into the brush a little bit but I wouldnt worry too much
I did this last year and had another hunter come in and set up 30 yards from me. If I get to go back I will leave my bike on the trail to let others know I'm there.
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #632
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV Hunter View Post
Another potential problem with assigning hunters to a unit will be the weather. If you are assigned unit 2, 3 or 5 you will not be able to get there if it rains. It would not be fair to the hunters assigned to those units. Also unit 3 is about two or three miles away at its nearest point while unit 1, 6 or 8 is just a matter of crossing the fence. That would not be fair either. Lots of variables to consider if they assigned unit to each hunter.
Agreed.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #633
Stx86
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachwhip View Post
Someone mentioned a scouting permit? Did i miss that somewhere in the emails, I thought your hunting permit was all that was needed.. Does anyone have the maps with the unit numbers?
Thanks looking forward to seeing everyone on this coming up hunt?
I need a copy of vehicle permit form for the scouting period and the hunt
Old 11-27-2018, 03:53 PM   #634
coachwhip
Eight Point

The vehicle permit is on the PDF that Texas Parks and Wildlife emailed after you paid for your permit, I believe it is was NADUC.pdf on the 4th page. We are headed out tomorrow evening safe travels to everyone we will see y'all at orientation Thursday.
Good luck!
Old 11-28-2018, 05:36 AM   #635
Nicholson84
Spike

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stx86 View Post
I need a copy of vehicle permit form for the scouting period and the hunt
https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Fi...ery%202017.pdf

I couldn't find mine either, see if that link above works.
Nicholson84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2018, 07:14 AM   #636
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

Those of you that cant find vehicle permit, go back to the email that contains PDF files for permit and NADUC.pdf the vehicle permit is at the bottom of the NADUC file under the park map.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:35 PM   #637
returning egret
Spike

Hunt In: Camo

Trying to decide if the roads will be okay to RV it or if I have to motel it and bring my truck. My RV is a van camper, so no 4x4 and low ground clearance. If the entry road is still pot holed like last year, then I'll motel it and bring my old pick-em-up. Would appreciate info from somebody that's been there recently. I'm on the hunt starting Dec 7th. Thanks
returning egret is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2018, 07:20 PM   #638
Huntindad
Pope & Young

the entry road is not pot bellied per se...but is completely under construction. You can not park there while hunting though.

At the orientation for the 11/16 hunt they handed out paperwork for those that did not have any...other than their permit.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:23 PM   #639
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by returning egret View Post
Trying to decide if the roads will be okay to RV it or if I have to motel it and bring my truck. My RV is a van camper, so no 4x4 and low ground clearance. If the entry road is still pot holed like last year, then I'll motel it and bring my old pick-em-up. Would appreciate info from somebody that's been there recently. I'm on the hunt starting Dec 7th. Thanks
When you say RV...are you talking bout staying at the LANWR? I don't think you can do that. But just to drive the road, you should be ok.

Folks parking on the side of 106 were getting stuck due to the ground saturation ...slicker than snot.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:18 PM   #640
returning egret
Spike

Quote:
When you say RV...are you talking bout staying at the LANWR? I don't think you can do that. But just to drive the road, you should be ok.
Would camp somewhere else, but would have to drive the camper van to the Refuge. Last year we could drive up the N-S County Road on the East side of the refuge and park along it. This year's map doesn't show it as a Red 'Vehicle Access Road'. Are they making us park in the lot at the intersection of Lakeside Dr and this county road? Would add a lot of distance to access the middle and North part of the refuge.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #641
Huntindad
Pope & Young

County road was open this year.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:41 PM   #642
returning egret
Spike

Quote:
County road was open this year.
OK, Thanks, that's good to hear. Is it slick like you say for 106, or OK for parking?

Quote:
the entry road is not pot bellied per se...but is completely under construction.
This is what their map calls Buena Vista Rd. right? Under Construction but still useable?

Sorry to ask so many questions, just nervous about tearing up the new van.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:46 PM   #643
Huntindad
Pope & Young

yeah, Buena vista road. they have the center of it useable. They were working on the sides couple weeks ago. I think they had alot of issues with the rain. 106 is bad when saturated due to the slope.

Good luck on your hunt.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:37 AM   #644
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Cotulla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
yeah, Buena vista road. they have the center of it useable. They were working on the sides couple weeks ago. I think they had alot of issues with the rain. 106 is bad when saturated due to the slope.

Good luck on your hunt.

That was me. Do not park on side of 106 if wet. First two days were fine then it rained. 3 of us parked there again. All was fine til we tried to leave. Two of us stuck, the other almost. Just too slick, tried to to pull you down the slope. We all had 4x4 also. Surely would not try it with a RV van.

Jen-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2018, 05:02 PM   #645
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Good luck to everyone on this hunt. It will be a muddy mess.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:51 AM   #646
Falling
Six Point

waiting of the Neil guys
Falling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2018, 09:39 AM   #647
CTD2011
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas, Falls, Robertson co. Ks., Co.

Same here
CTD2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #648
Ispdnxs
Six Point

Hunt In: Various Public Lands

Yep, little slow this morning for me. Seen a bobcat around 9 and people just after first light.
Ispdnxs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2018, 11:56 AM   #649
coachwhip
Eight Point

Name:  IMG_0917.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  66.5 KBFinally got to see a group after the morning lull south of prairie trail, figured they were around with the amount of tracks after yesterday's rain.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #650
cookemerkel
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachwhip View Post
Attachment 935816Finally got to see a group after the morning lull south of prairie trail, figured they were around with the amount of tracks after yesterday's rain.
Nice! Good luck the rest of the hunt
cookemerkel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top