Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #101
justhrowit
Ten Point

Hunt In: Your tree stand.

A few years ago, I had a hawk or an owl try to take me away. Smashed the back of my head. I had a few good claw punctures from the talons. I was in the tree and it was right at sun up. You could see a good portion of the horizon. I checked my phone, and I think, the light from the screen caught the attention on the bird, and WHAP. I thought it was a branch falling, but then I caught the bird fly through the trees with the horizon backlighting it. I forgot to bring a hat that morning, so the claws got in me well enough, but the impact was what really got me. I had a good headache the rest of the day.

J
justhrowit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #102
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgHntr10 View Post
Had an owl land on the window ledge about 2 ft from my face, scared the **** out of both of us.
Had the same think happen. Except he landed in the tree about 10 yards away while I was in my tripod. I was in full camo except my eyes. He caught my eye movement I guess and came at me. I had to put my arm up to stop him. Like to have fell out my stand.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Buckwheat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #103
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

I was in Manitoba deer hunting. I shot my buck with a few days left so the outfitter's 16 year old son took me duck hunting. We walked right out into a field that had sort of a hill in the middle with brush on it. It wasn't quite daylight yet but you could just barely see out. He told me to get settled into the brush and he was gonna go set out a mojo duck decoy. He walked out about 20-30 yards and stuck in the ground. He got down on his knees and started messing with the switch/battery. It finally came on. He was just standing up to walk back to me and ducks were already coming in and hovering over his head....right over his head. Never seen anything like it. Needless to say we had a great hunt.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #104
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

We were dove hunting and a buddy and I were walking up to the canal bridge, which has a large circular area were people park and turn around as it's the dead end of the road. Broad day light, I was going towards the bridge and he was going to walk down the road a bit. And I here this weird whirring noise and it seems to be right over my head, as though it's coming down, I am ducking down trying to see, figure out what it is. Then it's gone. I look over at him and he is standing there looking at me and says what the f}^# was that. I said I think it was some kind of noisy bug. He says bull s*%# that was no bug. I don't see him much any more but when I run into him he always brings up that day. We have no clue what was there.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #105
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B4Him View Post
Was turkey hunting in a pop-up with my son. We had a hen decoy set up and were working the call.
Out came a hen that seemed inquisitive. She strode up to the decoy and slowly seemed to be 'sizing up' the competition. Then, out of nowhere, she threw a left hook and knocked my decoy silly. Then she slowly walked around the decoy with a 'you talkin to me' look about her. Then, quick as a wink, she threw another left hook. Then she stood there a minute and suddenly started pummeling the decoy with lefts and rights until the decoy fell over and lay there 'bleeding' the air that had inflated her.
My son and I were laughing so hard we never got the phones out to film it.
I had that happen a year or 2 ago but did get it on video. That decoy was spinning circles around the stake and she just kept pounding it. I was watching her so closely a gobbler snuck up and i never saw him till he gobbled about 20 yds from me. It scared me so bad i dropped the phone then grabbed the shotgun and shot him. It took 2 shots, it happened so fast I hit him low the first shot.
miket is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 11:06 AM   #106
ByronB
Ten Point

When I was a teenager I was hunting the Aransas Wildlife Refuge. I climbed up in a tree and found a great limb to sit on overlooking a few trails. One afternoon we went in early. I climbed up in to the tree and set up. About an hour later another Bowhunter walks up to the base of the tree. I tried a low voice indicating I was up there. It finally took, "Hey, I am hunting up here". The guy kind of jumped back and then realized where the voice was coming from.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 11:07 AM   #107
Leef
Eight Point

I was sitting in a lock on treestand in a large elm tree in the Hill Country. It was a very quiet morning, no breeze, no sound. I heard a sound, similar to maybe a large bird gliding over me, kind of a swoosh. Just seconds after that a sound like a cork popping...Then every single leaf on the tree fell off at the same time...thousands of them. Most bizarre thing I've ever witnessed.
Leef is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 11:20 AM   #108
Thirstyswimmer
Spike

Hunt In: Shelby Co.

The one that stands out most in my mind occurred a few years ago during gun season.
I was hunting the farm in one of our ladder stands at the edge of a well traveled draw at the edge of a field. It was an unproductive morning hunt thus far, but around 9 I can hear something crashing through the brush to my right. Whatever it is has to be huge with the racket it was making, and it's coming fast. I readied my rifle and waited for it to make an apperance. A few seconds later a young fork horn bolted out of the cover and passed behind the base of my tree by less than a yard. He never stopped running until he was out of sight to my left. I was confused, and wondering what the heck he was running from when I glanced back to my right to see the biggest bobcat I'd ever seen sitting at the edge of the treeline 5 yards from me. He had chased the deer out of the woods, then sat down to watch it scurry across the field. The bobcat then slowly walked past me following the treeline until he eventually slipped back into cover.
I would have shot him, but my .270 would have destroyed his beautiful pelt.

Another that comes to mind happened a decade ago near Rock Springs. I had fallen asleep in the box blind waiting for sunrise, like I often do, when I was shaken awake by something. Not sure if it was a dream, or what, I sat there waiting to get my bearings. A second later the whole blind shook again, and I knew it wasn't a dream this time. This continued for several minutes until the bull had finaly gotten that itch scratched out. At one point, the bull had the blind tipped up at a decent (but relatively shallow) angle with me in it!
I felt like a rodeo clown in a barrel for a bit.
Thirstyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 11:24 AM   #109
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B4Him View Post
Was turkey hunting in a pop-up with my son. We had a hen decoy set up and were working the call.
Out came a hen that seemed inquisitive. She strode up to the decoy and slowly seemed to be 'sizing up' the competition. Then, out of nowhere, she threw a left hook and knocked my decoy silly. Then she slowly walked around the decoy with a 'you talkin to me' look about her. Then, quick as a wink, she threw another left hook. Then she stood there a minute and suddenly started pummeling the decoy with lefts and rights until the decoy fell over and lay there 'bleeding' the air that had inflated her.
My son and I were laughing so hard we never got the phones out to film it.
That reminded me of a turkey story. After calling all morning and into the afternoon my young son and I had not so much as heard a gobble so we decided to go fish a tank on the place. We topped a hill in the jeep and saw a group of turkeys about 150 yards away. The only weapon I had in the vehicle was a .22 mag so we decided to try and sneak up for a shot. We circled around and came out of the brush about 50 yards away to see two big gobblers squaring off with all the rest of the flock standing around them like kids watching a schoolyard fight. As I set up to shoot, the gobblers went at it - all pounding wings and spurs flying. I squeezed off a shot and hit one of them right in the neck and he dropped like a rock. At first they were startled by the shot but suddenly the other gobbler jumped on the dead one and started tearing him to pieces. He then started an "I'm a badazz!" strut around him - I guess he thought he'd killed his rival!
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #110
jb5001
Six Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co, Anywhere I can

Last year I was walking into my stand and it was dark as could be; no moon out. I would occasionally flash my light to see where I was going and when I did there was a skunk within 3 feet of me. I quickly closed my eyes and turned around walking as fast as I could. Luckily I kept my shorts clean.

I also had a bobcat come and start to scratch its back on my ladder stand. It was very cool to have her up close.
jb5001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #111
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

I was about 10 and coon hunting with my dad in a big creek bottom in the SHNF. We had went to the dogs about 1/2 mile off the road. It was some pretty thick stuff. We shot the coon out, got the dogs to leave it alone, and started walking back to the truck. Dogs struck another coon so we stopped, turned off the flashlights, and listened to the music. Dogs were quickly moving out of hearing when we heard some crazy spooky grunts and whooshing sound with brush breaking. We kinda froze and my dad pulled out his .22 mag pistol. Noise kept getting closer and louder. Dad flips on his headlamp and there is a huge white bull at about 30 yards stomping and snorting. We are nowhere near a ranch or any private property. This thing was straight up wild. He looked like he was about to charge. My dad grabbed me by the back of my overalls and practically lifted me straight up into a tree and told me to climb up a little ways. He got behind the tree with his gun (not enough gun) and they had a stare down. Dad was yelling at it (probably not the smartest thing to do). Seemed like forever before the big bull walked off. Scared the dookie out of me.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #112
seminole1990
Ten Point

Hunt In: Valdosta, GA; Haskell, Tx, The H, LBJ Grasslands

Story from my older brother---rifle hunting from a climber in the South Georgia swamp. Group of hogs runs by, he shoots one. He turns to shoot another, and can hear the shot hog squealing and in the throws of death, thrashing and rolling about. No shot on hog#2 so he turns back to see hog#1 roll into one of the sloughs in the swamp. Brother's thoughts go from pork chops tonight to WTH?! Hog squealing turns into a watered garble then ceases, Hog's hind legs shoot straight into the air. The head and front legs are straight under water, think: fishing bobber. "Hog bobber" hind legs start moving toward the water's edge. Big bull gator climbs out of the water with the hog head in its mouth.
Brother asks himself--that's abnormal, why did the gator get out of the water with it's kill? Bigger gator emerges shortly thereafter. freaky...
seminole1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #113
Jtrisler
Six Point

Hunt In: Harrisonburg, La and Brown County, Illinois

Several years ago my buddy and I were discing food plots here in Central Louisiana about this time of year. We were hunting big timber that was covered in tall palmetto. We sheared a pin on the disc and headed back to camp to get the tools to fix it with. As we rounded a corner we saw a large bobcat that had a small fawn pinned down by the throat in the middle of the road. The bobcat spooked and ran off while we stood watch over the fawn allowing it to try and recover from the attack. There was blood and bobcat slobber on its neck and throat and he was trying to catch its breath. After a few minutes the fawn got on its feet and we chased it through the woods in hopes of putting some distance between it and the bobcat. Not sure where its Mom was!
Jtrisler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #114
HC Sniper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fisher county

Was sitting on a ladder stand on a lease near Bronte when a hawk landing in a tree about 40 yards away. Wasn't anything else around at the time so I kept my eye on him. He started looking at me, turning his head every which way. I just got a feeling that something was fixing to happen. That hawk took off and was coming right for me. At the last second it dawned on me that he wasn't going to stop. I jerked my bow up in front of me and he tried to slam on the brakes. His wings actually hit my bow limbs. Needed a new pair of underwear after that.
HC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #115
cylomedia
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings area

OK, this is a little off topic but it's what I have. Buddy of mine has a game cam at his stand. His stand seems to have a good variety of cool stuff show up. Aoudad sheep, lots of pigs, porcupine, long horns, etc. Sooooo . . . buddy number 2 and I got to talking about it and decided to swipe his game card. buddy #2 had his laptop and had Photoshop on it and took the files from the game card and pasted in various versions of Roger (a cartoon character alien from American Dad that like to dress up in costumes) int some of the pix on his game card. He also found a Sasquach from a Jack Links Jerk ad and doctored another one of his pix.

We had to wait 3 weeks to get our pay off, but it was worth it.
cylomedia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #116
wdeisher
Four Point

Hunt In: Brownwood, TX/San Angelo, TX

Hunting with my dad one day and look out the window to see a black object moving down the road about 300 yards out. Thinking it was a pig I got my gun ready.... turned out to be a black lab... don't know whos dog that was and never saw it again but easily the weirdest thing we had ever seen.
wdeisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #117
Flint knapper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

I was sitting on a stand one morning looking down a fire lane road with thick oak brush on both sides, and start seeing does crossing!
I noticed something strange on one of their necks and after looking through my Bino's I see not one, but seven does come marching through, each one having a different color dog color on their necks!
Never saw them again, and don't know where they came from, but that was a little different!!!
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #118
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

Rifle hunting a few years back. I have a blind that is on a 8ft platform that I have anchored to a tree that it's next too. I shoot an 8 pointer out the side window and as soon as I pulled the trigger a bobcat jumped off the tree branch that is right above the window. I'm pretty sure I was way more scared then the bobcat. Don't know if he was in the tree when I got in or if he came in when I was there or what.
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #119
UncleBubba
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.

I was 15 hunting a new spot on Type 2 in Palestine. It was the deepest I had ever walked in alone and I was already nervous. My dad would normally setup a couple hundred yards away when we hunted public land but this time he dropped me off and drove down a good ways. I get to my tree, using my climbing stand, I climb about 30' up. Hunted that evening and didn't see anything, we always hunt until we can't see. As I was getting my stuff together I here what sounded like a cougar scream. My hair on the back of my neck stood up, and I decided I wasn't getting down until my dad walks in with a gun. I radioed him and he said he faintly heard it as well. I about ****** myself waiting for my dad. He had heard them scream down there before so he wasn't as nervous. Until it all went private, when we hunted there I was always looking over my shoulder!
UncleBubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #120
Ten Ring
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clifton, Mart, Evant

I was bow hunting out of one of my stands the over looks a feeder and our tank. The tanks was almost dried up that year. I had a good buck showing up every other evening, so I felt good about my sit. Its getting to be that time maybe 30 minutes before dark. I was watching all the birds and rabbits clean up the corn from the feeder, when all of a sudden they take off. I start getting excited, something must have spooked them because even the fat rabbit that wont ever run, took off running. I get my bow ready and start scanning the area looking for movement. Finally I see it, its about halfway across the dried up part of the tank. At first I'm thinking its a small bobcat or a fox or maybe even a coon. As its getting closer I can hear a little ringing noise. Finally I figured out what it was....a dang tabby house cat with a bell on its pink collar, needless to say didn't see any deer that hunt. I'm not sure where it came from, the closest house is a couple miles away. My dad didn't believe me but a couple of weeks later I pulled cards and in 2 pictures there is this tabby cat staring down a coon and in one picture it is starring down a little four point buck.

Last edited by Ten Ring; 09-16-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #121
BearsHunt
Four Point

Hunt In: Milam and Kennedy Counties

I decided to have my coffee outside one morning this winter. Carried a lawn chair, thermos, and handgun out to our most active field and sat down in the middle of a mesquite Grove (call it a brush blind). Just after sunrise, I hear this huge crash directly behind me. I turned just in time to see a female bobcat run past me, within kicking distance. Or at least I could've kicked it if is wasn't so busy trying not to fall out of the lawn chair...

I got my feet under me and walked around the bush to see where she went. Couldn't find a trace so I turned to go back to my chair and said out loud "did that SERIOUSLY just happen??". We'll, it did. And when I got to where I could see my chair, I saw the big male bobcat that was apparently chasing her. He was sitting about 5 foot away from my chair, just staring at me. Unfortunately, he walked away and disappeared as soon as I moved to pull my gun.

Best "hunting" morning I've ever had, and I wasn't even hunting.
BearsHunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #122
KLWoodall
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill, Navarro, Panola

While bowhunting in Panola Co. a few years back, I was fortunate enough to watch a Bobcat come in to the small creek I was on. He stalked and pounced on a huge rat and played with it for about 15 minutes then ate it. Caught another and did the same and quietly walked back where he came from. Never got within 50 yards of me even though i was squeaking and imitating the best rat I could muster.

My wife last year (gun hunting) texted me and said she left the keys to the blind in the truck and decided she would just sit on the berm in the brush that morning. I told her I would run back and bring as it was still dark. She declined and I waited for light. At dawn I start glassing and see her walking briskly up the fence line back to the truck...I know something is wrong because it is "prime time" so I call her. She has sat on the berm and got comfortable with her gear bag on her left and gun across her lap. At dawn she noticed something move and saw the copperhead under her bag moving towards her leg. She froze. After a few seconds evaluation she decided to act and she butt stroked the snakes head, which really shocked it as it was just out for a morning stretch, and she jumped and screamed get away! The snake was, of course ESL (English Second Language) and didn't understand. He took the rifle butt as a threat and began coiling around and striking it. After several seconds of Stroke, Strike, Stroke, Strike she headed west and he headed east. I met a crying wife at the truck who will not under any circumstance hunt on the ground for anything, including vegetables. She hasn't left any key to anything since. It was not funny at the time and to her still isn't. All's well that ends in a good story.
KLWoodall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 01:01 PM   #123
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: My dreams this year

I was hunting near Cisco 20 years ago. I was very unfamiliar with the area having hunted in primarily in East Texas.
It was a very cold and still November morning and I was in a blind in a field lined by cedar trees/bushes. (Yes, I realize that most of what we call 'cedars' are 'junipers'. I don't know which this truly was.)
About an hour after sunrise, randomly around the field, those 'cedars' began to 'puff' (explode) with a yellowish pollen cloud. It was amazing to watch. The wind was so slight the cloud would just gently dissipate and drift with the breeze.
I've never seen anything else like it.
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 01:07 PM   #124
CRT
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
Dezgirl and Texastornado would be fun to hunt with. They have a sense of humor, but still know enough to call out the "manly men" they are hunting with haha. They probably have more experience than most of the guys taking them it sounds like. Some of you single guys on TBH should take notice
Awwww...thanks!! I like to think I'm fun to hunt with!! Lol
CRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #125
El Viejo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

I wasn't hunting, but was at La Joya Lake, a private lake in Hidalgo County. I needed to get rid of the previous day's meal and went over to the bathrooms. The men's was so nasty I just held my nose, jacked the TP and headed for the brush. I was standing there with my pants around my ankles and looked up to see a skunk walking right towards me. What to do? I definitely didn't want to startle him and he wasn't changing course. Finally I made a slight grunting sound and he stopped about 3 feet away. I waved my hand just enough to get him to change direction. I finished up what I was doing and headed back to the party.
El Viejo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #126
gemini2759
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mostly public

post rut, jim hogg county a few years back, had a coyote and doe eating corn together down a sendero i was watching. They were about 5 yards apart and knew each other were there.
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #127
Mjjust
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo/ Any Public lands.

I had 2 moments that both involved quail while in a tripod on public land in San Angelo. Had about 9 days off so hunted the same tripod almost everyday Hand fed corn every morning and had the same covey of quail come in to eat their fill. At first it bothered me they were eating my corn but came to enjoy their visit each morning right at sunrise so just put out extra. One morning was enjoying their company again and listening to all their happy babbling when off to my right another covey flies in and lands about 20 yds away. The happy babble turned to a much more serious tone. I thought "Oh My! They are getting ready to rumble". The 2 coveys started to walk toward each other through the tall grass and broomweed and both started to vocalize louder. They met and it was on. They were chasing, bobbing, wrestling, flapping and making all kinds of commotion. I looked back to the corn and there were 2 fat quail still eating corn while their brethren were at war. I could picture them saying "We got your back guys!" About that time a hawk flew way overhead and let out a short screech and those quail instantly froze. Like Lot's wife turning into a pillar of salt. The hawk kept going but those birds didn't even twitch for several minutes. Mortal enemies millimeters away from each other but scared stiff by an even greater mutual enemy. It was dead silent. Finally they began to come back to life and started barking at each other but it seemed both had lost interest in the battle and the invading covey began to wonder off after a few avian cuss words were exchanged. My covey then went back to eating corn for a few minutes with what seemed to be an even more cheerful babble.

Couple weeks later on a early saturday morning before sunup at same stand I heard a quail calling over a ridge back behind my left. He was calling every 30 seconds or so. Then I could hear a faint response from the field to my right. The call and responses kept getting closer. Then the lone quail appeared on the top of the ridge and made another call. The covey responded and they all started in a full sprint toward each other making all kinds of glorious excited noises. They met right in front of me and they had what seemed like a party celebrating the return of the prodigal son. Of course the fact that they met right over my corn might have helped.
Mjjust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #128
Flint knapper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

I once had a dove land on my right leg while I was up a tree!
He stayed for about 25 min. and then flew off.
I would of tried to catch him, but I had a young 8pt right below me sucking up all the corn on the ground.
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #129
Fashinghunts
Four Point

Once, I was bowhunting way up a mesquite tree is South Texas. I was probably 15 foot high and had corn almost straight down below me. I was chewin tobacco at the time and had a half cut plastic water bottle with a good amount of spit in it. Well, here comes this young 3 point buck down the trail and he feeds for a while and its getting late in the morning and nothing else is going to come out. So this little buck wanders over and stands directly over me. So I get my spit bottle and pour it right on top of him all over his back. He runs off a ways, then his nose is in the air and he starts snorting. I get down and walk back to my truck and I can still hear this deer snorting 30 minutes later about 1/4 mile from me!
Fashinghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #130
ferrellv
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere i can

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Couple years ago I fell asleep in the pop up while hunting for a doe. Woke up peaked out the window and still nothing but thought I heard something in the blind with me. I looked around and apparently about a 6' blue indigo decided to come in the blind with me and was laying across my feet. Lifted my feet alittle bit and he slithered out of the polo up and I went back to sleep lol. It was one of those 1pm-dark hunts so had plenty of napping time
I would have died right there.
ferrellv is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #131
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Bowhunting about four years ago near Yegua Creek on the Sommerville WMA; found a less dense area of the woods and set up on a fallen tree, sitting on the trunk near the rootball. Since it's required to wear orange out there, I'd painted up a section of camo netting and made a head-dress kind of thing, with weaved-in moss and sticks.

Didn't see any deer, but several squirrels were cavorting in the surrounding trees -- mostly in the branches above, but sometimes coming down to the ground before scampering up another trunk. I considered changing quarry from deer to squirrel, knowing I could only safely take a ground shot. Finally, a squirrel hops up at the other end of the log where I'm sitting -- he's maybe 30 feet to my left. He was kind of looking around the area as I carefully shifted to get into position for a shot; catching my movement, he sees this big orange mass and does a double-take. I'm sitting sort of twisted his direction, with my recurve across my lap and an arrow nocked so that the broadhead is inches above the log top and pointing toward the squirrel. He slowly makes his way along the trunk toward me. I'm motionless, and he comes all the way to the arrow and SNIFFS the point of the broadhead! He looks up at my face and back at the broadhead. Then, he turns and ambles away down the log, as I raise my bow and wait for him to stop (no let-off on this gear). He's almost to the end of the tree when he stops and turns almost broadside. I come to full draw. Then he cocks his head and looks right at me. Couldn't shoot him. When I let down, he scurried off, content in the knowledge that he was the king of that log.

Last edited by tradtiger; 09-16-2016 at 02:24 PM.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #132
fishingsetx
Ten Point

Hunt In: silsbee and evadale, tx

I've got 2 stories that come to mind:

One morning, I grabbed my pump 410, hopped on my trusty huffy and headed for a buddy's house that lived a few miles away. this was back when a kid could ride down a residential street with a shotgun on the handlebars and didn't have to worry about an ATF swat team showing up. My friends parents owned 18 acres and the back 3 or 4 acres were wooded and backed up to a pretty large chunk of woods. Never knew who owned the land behind them, but we sure killed a bunch of squirrels out of their trees! We split up and killed a few each. I had taken a shot at one squirrel and it ran off so I just assumed I had missed. About an hour later, we met back up along a creek about 150-200 yds from where I missed the squirrel. As we are talking we hear a racket above us. My buddy takes a step back right before a squirrel falls dead almost landing on his foot! It had to have been the one I shot at earlier as it was the only one we "missed" all morning!

Second story happened October before last. I had just bought a squirrel call (never used one before) and did a little research. Turns out, the distress call is supposed to be one of the best. After sitting still a while, I blew the distress call, slapped a leafy branch against the ground and then waited (following the instructions on the package). Within a min or two, a young doe walks out and walks within 10 yards of me before she figures out something is wrong and trots off. After that, I got up and moved about 1/4 mile deeper in the woods, set up again, and repeated the call/branch sequence. I'm looking off to my right when I hear something coming in to my front left. I slowly turn my head to see a yote coming in at a trot. he gets to within kicking distance before I give him a not so gentle nudge with my boot toe! He about did a flip and takes off full bore. I tried to get a shot off but in my shock, forgot to take the safety off!

It amazed me that either of those animals would come in that close considering I just had on a camo short sleeved shirt, camo hat and blue jeans and reeked of OFF due to the skeeters!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
fishingsetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #133
fishingsetx
Ten Point

Hunt In: silsbee and evadale, tx

Didn't happen to me, but my wife was sitting in a box blind on the ground guarding her barrel one morning when a Bob cat walks out into her lane about half way to the feeder. she watches as it stalks closer and closer to her feeder. When the cat got about q5 yards from the feeder, she hears a bunch of snorting and stomping and then a group of does come barreling out right on the cats tail! they chase it back up the lane and passed within 5 feet of her stand. she said they ran it to the end of her other lane and then came trotting back to her feeder right past her stand again. She made the comment that they sure looked proud of themselves!

fishingsetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 03:24 PM   #134
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County
Default your weirdest encounter while in the stand?

IN 2013 I was hunting down in Lometa. The rancher had cleared a bunch of cedar and their were brush piles all around a pretty open field. I had a creek running from my right to left about 200 yds in front of me. This property was loaded with rabbits, and I got to watch a fox on 2 separate hunts sneak from brush pile to brush pile hunting rabbits. Never saw him make a kill but did see some pretty awesome chases. I probably wouldn't kill a fox anyways, but I surely wasn't gonna shoot this guy because it was so much fun watching him hunt all day.

Later in the day my biggest buck to that date comes out and I shoot him Near the creek bed. He runs through the creek bed and out of sight. When I get out to find the deer, I cross through the creek and see the fox standing there looking at me. He turns nonchalantly and starts walking away. I follow him for maybe 50 ids and he sits down right next to my deer. Like my own wild blood tracking fox! He sat for a while and I got some picture of him. I needed to go get the rhino to get the deer and he was still sitting there. I verbally told him "I don't want to shoot you, but if I come back and your gnawing on my deer you're dead" . When I came back with the rhino he was gone not having touched anything.

Last edited by JustinJ; 09-16-2016 at 03:26 PM.
JustinJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 03:29 PM   #135
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County
Default The porcupine that climbed...

in the tree with me was pretty exciting. I threw everything i had at him but he kept coming. Finally he went out on the limb in front of me and stayed for about 20 minutes before leaving.

Sitting on a stool in a makeshift ground blind. It was dark and saw something walk in front of me. Flashlight showed a skunk. I turned off the light only to have that skunk turn and walk straight at me. He went BETWEEN my legs, UNDER my seat and out the blind. I was done for the day.

Numerous incidents with coyotes and bobcats as well.
SabreKiller is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 04:24 PM   #136
rjet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingsetx View Post
I've got 2 stories that come to mind:

Second story happened October before last. I had just bought a squirrel call (never used one before) and did a little research. Turns out, the distress call is supposed to be one of the best. After sitting still a while, I blew the distress call, slapped a leafy branch against the ground and then waited (following the instructions on the package). Within a min or two, a young doe walks out and walks within 10 yards of me before she figures out something is wrong and trots off. After that, I got up and moved about 1/4 mile deeper in the woods, set up again, and repeated the call/branch sequence. I'm looking off to my right when I hear something coming in to my front left. I slowly turn my head to see a yote coming in at a trot. he gets to within kicking distance before I give him a not so gentle nudge with my boot toe! He about did a flip and takes off full bore. I tried to get a shot off but in my shock, forgot to take the safety off!

It amazed me that either of those animals would come in that close considering I just had on a camo short sleeved shirt, camo hat and blue jeans and reeked of OFF due to the skeeters!

I had the same thing happen to me using a squirrel call. When it was close to time to call it a morning I got to playing around with the call, trying to make the most noise possible. Had it making the squeaky noise which i believe is distress. I heard racket coming my way and it was a big ole doe. Stopped around 10 yards from me panting like crazy. She stood there probably 15 seconds and then took off to where she came from. Was pretty cool.
rjet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #137
Tryton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk and Leon counties

I've had the normal squirrel run across me and hawks getting too close. Had a hog determined to run me out of my stand once.

I even had a piglet walk between my legs while I was sitting in some brush trying to catch a buck crossing a high line.

Not sure if it has been posted here before but there is a video of some guys hunting in Oklahoma when a kangaroo hops by. There reaction is hilarious. There is some bad language so I won't post a link but something y'all can google.
Tryton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 04:58 PM   #138
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

What a fun thread to read!
Probably one of my coolest was a few years back before I became a ground lubber, I was sitting in a tripod guarding a barrel hog hunting... kept hearing one coming from in front and right of me... I'm getting ready.... still ready.... stiiiiiilll ready... same noise coming and now it's CLOSE!!! I'm thinking this dang hog must be crawlin' in or I could see it... After what seemed like forever, I look down right at the base of my tripod and a gator about 6 foot long walked out into my trail I use to get to the tripod... He walked right under me and off down the draw and slid into the creek about 50 yards behind me...

At the same stand where the video Chew posted of the squirrel, I once had a platform in one of the pecan trees. Was sittin' there one morning watching some White Winged doves eatin' corn and broken pecan pieces that the squirrels had dropped when a Peregrine Falcon swooped in and flushed the doves... he grabbed one in mid flight and swooped up and landed on a limb 10 feet above my head and proceeded to pull the head off the dove to kill it. He sat there a minute or two until the dove stopped flapping, then he flew off with it. I sat there amazed at what I had just witnessed!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 05:13 PM   #139
Toddcaster
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Angelo State Park, Morgan Mill

I was hunting from a pop up blind one day at San Angelo State park. Pretty slow afternoon and as usual the longhorns had come thru and helped themselves to my hand corn. After they moved on I see movement to my right. A large bush was moving about 80 yds. from me. I reached for my binocs so I could get a better look but all I could see was an orangeish coat so I just figured it was a longhorn rooting around. This kept up for 5 minutes or so, so I glassed it again and saw the white spots. I had heard there were axis here but had never seen one up close and personal and I had hunted this same spot for four years prior. When he finally raised his head I got that rush that only comes from bow hunting. I kept an eye on him and he finally crossed in front of me at that same distance. Never saw him or another axis since but man what a rush!!
Toddcaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #140
seminole1990
Ten Point

Hunt In: Valdosta, GA; Haskell, Tx, The H, LBJ Grasslands
Default Omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by krtnorris View Post
i was in a tree stand in ohio and a woman came jogging down the road and made a quick 90 degree turn right toward me into the woods. She got within about 20 yards of me looked all around but never up and dropped her yoga pants and relieved herself in both ways.
lol!!!!
seminole1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #141
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Myself and buddy were filling a feeder one time on a fairly thick river bottom lease property. He was on the back of the ranger and I was in the drivers seat backing it into position so he could fill the feeder standing in the back of the ranger. I shut off the engine and he proceeded to pour a bag of corn into the feeder. Then all of the sudden 3 piglets, not one over 20 pounds, came out of nowhere and ran right past us; literally within feet of us. Obviously nothing scary, but it was of those moments you look at each other thinking, what the heck just happened.

One morning, I had planned to hunt one of our 15 foot ladder stands. This was one of those 2 man stands. We had draped camo burlap on the front rail for a bit more concealment. Anyway, it was dark, but I was trying to use my flashlight very sparingly not to spook anything on my way in. I get to the stand and start my ascent. I get up to top and am fixing to craw in when a raccoon jumped out right over my head, onto the front rail and then raced up the tree. I'm lucky I didn't fall and break my neck. Scared the crud out of me. Guess the coon had decided to take a nap up there.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #142
TXBuck74
Ten Point

Hunt In: Schleicher

Ok, so I don't have any super exciting surprises or interesting guests... however last year was the first time I saw a pair of red tail foxes climb a couple of trees. I swear they climbed and jumped branches near the top of two 20ft trees. Really cool.... and should of got video of it...
TXBuck74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #143
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

One morning I was sitting 15 feet up in post oak tree in Central Texas on a nice late October morning. I'm not sure of the combination of weather conditions, but as the sun rose and started to penetrate the woods, every single leaf in that post oak I was in had a tendril of steam pumping off of it, going up into the air. I looked around and every tree around me had it happening as well. Thousounds of little steam clouds coming off each individual leaf. I then noticed I had steam coming of my entire body as well, it was very cool. I guess the dew had set in and the sun was rapidly evaporating it.

Another time bowfishing down the lower Colorado River on a cool spring night, roughly 2am in the morning. We had been enjoying some adult beverages and were prett done bowfishing, mostly just cruising downriver to our take out spot. We came around the bend where the river widens some and were greeted by hundreds of fog tornadoes dancing across the river. Some of them 3' in diameter and straight up, others were as thin as a few inches and would bend and contort as they moved. All of them coming off the water spinning like a tornado and going higher than our floodlights would shine. We must have seen a few thousand of these as it went on for 10 minutes while we went down the river, hardly able to see 20 feet in front of us.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #144
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

T'was bow hunting again one damp October morn on some COE land and I was just standing between a cedar tree and an oak tree overlooking a little brushy draw. Had a fair North wind so I wasn't too worried about my scent going down the draw, too much.

Anyway, about 9 ish, I was watching a little squirrel rummage around in the leaves for fallen acorns and he was working my way. I watched as he came closer and closer. Finally he was right at my feet. Next think I know he was sitting on the toe of my left boot. Sat there about 30-40 seconds, so it seemed.

About a month later, on same COE land, I was shot gun hunting for deer just up a little way from the draw where the squirrel happened by. I heard the fence about 40-50 yards to my West do the squeaky thang when it is moved. I thought maybe a deer had jumped the fence, so I got on the ready.

Well, I saw another hunter working his way in my general direction. I was in full camo dress, face paint and all, so I was going to let him slip by without attention.
He veered this way and that, pretty stealthy like, and was sure he was gonna bypass me. His last veer was about 10 foot out, right towards me. I thought he had seen me and was gonna say something. Kept coming, I was afraid to say anything at this point because he was looking me dead in the eyes, so it seemed and if I startled him, I might get blasted. I guarantee I could have tapped him on the shoulders when he came by. He stopped close enough to reach out and touch him, I was standing beside a fair sized Post oak, so I decided to say "Don't shoot". I shouldn't have. He almost came unglued.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #145
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Speaking of bobcats....my hunting buddy and I were bowhunting on a good sized ranch in San Saba one evening. When I went to pick him up after dark he explained that he had shot a good buck right before last light but hit him a little far back. Well we gave him an hour or so and went back to blood trail the deer. After a lengthy search we found where it had crossed a fence. I was shining my flashlight across the fence and caught eyes looking back at me. Called my buddy over and showed him the eyes, then we saw that it was a good sized bobcat. It made a kind of growling sound and scooted off. We went to the spot and found his buck. The cat had found it first and had already started chewing on it a little.

Fast forward a couple weeks later. My bud was hunting that same spot and shot a doe in the late evening. I wasn't there so he called me and explained the situation, and how he had lost the blood trail in the dark. As he is walking and looking with me on the phone he all of a sudden says "Wait, hold on. I see eyes and something is making a growling sound." I reminded him about the bobcat on his buck in that same area a couple weeks earlier and then he told me it growled real loudly at him and ran off. I told him to go look where the cat was and sure enough there was his doe. Once again the cat had found it before he did.

We ended up with two more encounters with what had to be the same bobcat always finding our deer before we did. On the last one he had already covered it up with leaves and had eaten his fill of hindquarter.
quarterback is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2016, 12:41 PM   #146
Jayt22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cracka county

I sharted my self and had to walk down a 20ft ladder stand with the evidence.....not good!
Jayt22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #147
91cavgt
Ten Point

My dad took me to his lease for the first time. I found and climbed up in the tallest tripod stand I had ever seen (this was my first time hunting). About an hour after being in the stand, a blue norther comes through. I tried to stay warm but eventually I started shivering. Not too much long after that I heard dogs way off in the distance barking. They got louder and louder as I suddenly heard something crashing through the underbrush.

Next thing I know there is a doe in full trot heading right towards me! She ran straight towards me right to the base of the stand, then made a hard turn and kept trotting away from me to my right. I could hear her panting even in the fridged cold. Those dogs must have been chasing her.

I never got close to getting a shot off though. Between shivering from the cold, shaking from seeing the first deer while hunting, and trying to figure out why I could not tell where the trigger was (my hands were numb), there is no way I could have gotten a shot off.
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2016, 03:51 PM   #148
bigmactog
Ten Point

Hunt In: America

Y'all will like this one - so I sitting in a 15 ft ladder stand watching 4 does and a young 8 around 45 yrds. They had no clue so I was checking out which one and when....totally focus, not moving, barely breathing......then straight down my face fell one large leaf, one of the biggest I've ever seen....I mean inches from my eyes....scared the stuffing out of all of 5 us - leaf scared me and I scared the deer....laugh a long time on that one......
bigmactog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #149
STONE KILLER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass county

Found a dead guy once, y'all remember 3 years ago the group of hunters that found the missing Garland man? Well that was us. lol talking about unexpected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
STONE KILLER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #150
bigmactog
Ten Point

Hunt In: America

My oldest and I got to deer camp kind of late one several years ago. He said he needed to work on a stand before bed so I went with him. Deep dark down in the woods...I was on the ground holding the flash so he add a bow holder to the stand....shortly after starting I hear the leaves rustle on the ground..."Dude, you hear that" - son...no what.....I told him to make room up there if it get any closer - 15 mins goes by and this SOW comes dragging by at 20 yards...so big her belly was on the ground, bigger than a state fair hog....yep, had my knife and flashlight.....
bigmactog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top