Owl Creek Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owl Creek Ranch

I’ve been following Jay/Darton’s Oklahoma threads for a couple years now, as I’m sure many of you have. One of his more recent threads (it started in 2019, time really moves fast) hooked me pretty good and I found myself checking it nearly every day for updates. Owning a small piece of property has always been a dream of mine but it was more of a 5+ year plan so Darton’s threads were supposed to fuel the “dreams” for awhile longer. However, about a year ago during our 9 year wedding anniversary weekend I convinced my lovely wife to tour Owl Creek Ranch with Darton, just to “scratch the itch”. During our tour the unexpected happened and momma fell in love with the place. We tend to make up our minds pretty quickly, which found us under contract in November of ‘20 and closed in early February.

As is his typical style Darton had delivered a turnkey, ready to enjoy place that included a new 30x50 pole barn, newly installed water and electric, 2 food plots, and cleared access around the property. We made a few immediate necessary purchases to ensure we had a place to stay and year round transportation, then decided to make sure we actually utilized the property before investing in it too much further. I have since found myself there as often as possible, with a desire that only increases with each trip spent away from the madness that is DFW.

We have decided to convert the pole barn into living quarters, and are easing into the process now. I figure this is a process worthy of a DIY thread, even if I don’t do every bit of the work myself. I’ve been in the residential construction industry for about 10 years but wouldn’t claim to have actual building skills unless I somehow picked them up through osmosis. I anticipate this will be a prolonged documentation so you’ll have to be patient regarding our updates. I also take criticism and opinions fairly well so feel free, as long as you don’t try to talk me out of doing it. We’re already beyond that option!

Darton’s original thread can be found here:

Another Oklahoma Dream In The Making! Owl Creek Ranch! It Could Be Yours!

If you find yourself looking for Oklahoma land, he is without a doubt THE MAN!

ps, there are no deer in Oklahoma…

I was fortunate enough to be raised on a farm and taught the value of hard work. I’m confident that this property will help instill strong values and work ethic in our kids, and probably toughen momma up a bit too!

Comment

I drew up a floor plan a couple months ago as seen below. We will be replacing one overhead door with windows at the master bedroom and the other overhead door with a 9’ slider. Cutting 2 additional windows in for natural light, one in master bath and one in the family area. We have a pond scheduled to dig sometime early next year which will be visible downhill from the family and master bedroom. A covered patio will be added off the family but I’m still deciding on size. The current barn has about a 50x15 overhang that I intend to enclose, add overhead end doors, and pour a slab on for storage.

Comment

A couple shots of the barn, in case you didn’t read the original thread:

Comment

Congrats on the new place!

Comment

Congrats on the new place.

Comment

Camp as it currently sits is plenty comfortable, and a few good meals have been shared. We also discovered a pretty legit pizza joint in Atoka that we hit up often. Campfires are extra special since my 4 year old did an impressive amount of heavy lifting to help me build a temp fire ring.

Comment

Great stuff!! Congrats!!

Comment

All hat and no cattle/shirt

Comment

Where lifetime memories are minted. Congratulations.

Comment

Emptying black water got old faster than expected. Fortunately my new BIL is in the septic business down in the RGV. He and a buddy hauled a tank up and we buried it behind the barn. It will serve the future build out and is currently working perfectly for our RV. They were paid in tequila and a couple large rocks that now reside about 12 hours further south than they belong.

Comment

Awesome. Nothing finer than having your own place and enjoying it with the family.

Comment

Living the dream there ! I’d show up just for the groceries !

Comment

I prefer to do my hunting from trees but this place is being outfitted with the young hunter in mind. With that, I shopped pretty hard for a primary “kids blind” and ended up going with a Tank Blind. I will eventually get it up on a platform that a previous owner left behind, I just keep getting distracted doing other stuff like hunting the deer that there aren’t any of in Ok. Don’t ask me why but a group of us named the blind “El Borracho Taco” and it kind of stuck. Foresight maybe?

Comment

Congrats on the place! And it's hard to believe you've been married for 10 years and have a family now.

Comment

Working...
                              X