We Have a Ranch Again - New Ranch - Follow Along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We Have a Ranch Again - New Ranch - Follow Along

Finally!!! After about a 6 month process we closed on the new place 2 Fridays ago. I planned to post last week but didn’t get time. I’ve posted a couple of times that we sold our place in Uvalde for numerous reasons and were looking for a new place (1031 Exchange). Mid-summer we combined funds with a couple of other guys and split ~1400 ac in the Hog Mountains east of May, TX. Everyone purchased their own part with individual properties. Our part is a little over 500 acres of raw, beautiful land fully within Brown county. When I say raw, there is not water or electricity and the roads are rough. The new place has several hundred feet of elevation change and is covered in oak and walnut trees. It is a little bigger than our old place in Uvalde, about 50 miles closer and no illegals (I hope!) so we feel like we truly upgraded. It also has 3 tanks on it right now which we hope will have fish but we aren’t too concerned with that (see below) immediately. We will find out shortly about the hunting, but I think it will be good. So, let the work begin!! I feel like a kid at Christmas. I haven't taken too many but here are a few pics of the new place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	May 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	25263514

Name:	May 1.jpg
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	25263513

Name:	May 4.jpg
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	25263515

Name:	May 7.jpg
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	25263518

Name:	May 5.jpg
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	25263516

Name:	May 6.jpg
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	25263517

The past 2 weekends we worked our asses off and between the 2 weekends we got a few roads cut enough to drive the SXS’s around and get work done. We put out 7 feeders, trail cameras, 5 permanent tank bow blinds and 2 popups. As with everything, it took longer than expected but we can now hunt. Over the next few weeks, time permitting, we will attempt to get a few rifle stands out and hopefully be fully huntable for the season.

I’ll try to bring y’all along for the ride as we set it up, so here is the plan as of right now. We should have a dozer in within a week or 2 to clear roads, fence lines, place for cabin, etc. Perfect timing for hunting season, lol but we don’t really have a choice with dozer availability and the 1031 rules/timeline. Hopefully the deer don’t mind a little racket. We will also put up a new fence as part of the dozer work. Within a month we should have electricity and a well or 2 to make life a little easier. In the next 6 months we hope to be at least started on a new cabin. We will also meet with SCS to discuss a multiple acre tank and will hopefully get that built. At that time, we will likely stock all tanks with fish of some sort (bass and catfish mainly) but we haven’t thought too far ahead on that. At that point we should be in good shape but as everyone knows the work never stops so we will continue to improve every year.

So, with the new home away from home I’m still not sure which thread to follow here. I’m not sure we are still considered Hill Country although we definitely have the terrain and I’m not sure we would be considered N. Texas.

Congrats! Glad to hear everything worked out!

Comment

The only thing we really didn't know is what the deer would be like. In talking with others it seems like 130-150 can be expected. Some say higher, some say lower. Until we can get some stand time who knows. With that said, here is 1 of the better ones we already have on cameras from the first week so I don't think we have too much to worry about there...

Name:	TC 1.jpg
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	24665595

I can't put him over 4 so I think the potential for bigger is there. We have also seen turkey, quail and pigs so I think it will be a target rich environment.

Comment

Awesome. I know the area well. Yall will love it.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
          Congrats! Glad to hear everything worked out!
          Thanks, me too. It was a fun ride but stressful as well!! I know I'm biased now but I think we have one of the prettiest places I have ever been on.

Comment

That’s awesome! Congratulations and enjoy the fruits of your labor

Comment

Very nice!!!
              Congrats on the new place!

Comment

awesome!!!!!

Comment

Congrats man! Sounds like a great place for the family to enjoy for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That’s a nice looking place ! I’m subscribing to this thread as one of my favorite things is to improve a place, I just love seeing my labor pay off. I’m too old to do it myself now so I’ll enjoy following this.

Comment

This will be a cool thread. Congrats on the new place!

Comment

Beautiful place congratulations

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

by the looks of that pond, You have fish. great looking place for sure. Be fun to follow along.

Comment

I'm coveting, is that allowed?

Comment

Looks awesome. Good canvas to rebuild from.

It is all relative…but your new place is more hill country Than uvalde. I’m sure STX peeps will cal it North Tx while peeps in Amarillo would laugh at that.

Comment

Working...
                              X