Feeders clogging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeders clogging

Does anyone else deal with seemingly incessant clogging issues? I’m in SE Texas where it’s humid and rainy, but it seems each type of feeder we try none are free of problems. Put more than 2-3 weeks worth of corn in the feeder and it will get nasty and gum up at the bottom. Condensation I assume is the problem. The few times we tried protein pellets in our gravity feeders they gummed up in less time than that.

I only use ASF and haven’t had clogging issues.

It has to be a moisture issue ? Is the barrel water tight ?

Comment

Protein pellets is an exposed spinner is a big no no anyway.....corn shouldn't be an issue. Are you using a funnel? Did you clean the corn feeder out completely after the last mess?

Comment

Nope never had this issue and I run 10 feeders. Year around

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          Protein pellets is an exposed spinner is a big no no anyway.....corn shouldn't be an issue. Are you using a funnel? Did you clean the corn feeder out completely after the last mess?
          This^^^ We hunt in the same area/conditions. Never use protein in a broadcast feeder. Corn should be fine as long as the barrel can breath. All of our barrels have small holes in them, the lid isn't air tight, use a good funnel, etc.

Also, keep the corn moving. Spinning to little corn can cause it to gum up.

Comment

Are your lids snug and bound up, or allowed to breath a little?

I've found the bung 55 drums were no Bueno for this in SE Texas.

When I switched to slide over lids with a slight bend in them my clogging went way down.

This is corn only, I can't imagine any pellet working in a spinner in ET humidity.

Comment

Thanks folks. Didn’t mean to imply we are putting protein pellets in our spin cast feeders.

Comment

Got a picture of your setup ?

Comment

Are the feeders plastic, if so need to go with metal.

Comment

I would say , its gotta be your lid is too tight and its sweating inside.

Comment

Shoot holes in the sides to encourage proper ventilation. Stay tuned for more deer feeder tips & trivia.

Comment

Only time we have had a clogging problem is when using scented corn

Comment

Feed for more than 1 second. . Get that corn moving down there.

Comment

The issue is probably water condensing on the inside wall of the barrel. Barrel has to breath.

Comment

The first three bags of corn that I got this year for hand corning were full of weevils. There was powder close to two inches deep in the bottom of the sacks. Changed feed stores and haven't had that problem anymore. That dust/powder will clog up a feeder also.

Comment

Working...
                              X