911 operators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

911 operators?

We had a meeting with my granddaughter's teacher yesterday. Alexis is in 8th grade and they have been discussing careers. Catching me off guard, I found out she wants to be a 911 operator. I'm not sure where she came up with this, but we'll be discussing it in more detail. At 15yrs old, things can and probably will change. If it really is what she wants, I'll back her all the way. Anyone on here with any info on what she needs to be working on for this?

Listening skills, comprehension in both verbal and written communication, typing, multi-tasking, and the ability to stay very calm under extreme stress. She'll need to be able to handle crisis situations back to back, and then move on immediately from one to the next. 911 dispatching can be very rewarding, but at the same time it is one of the most under-recognized positions, and there is usually little to no closure at the end of each call. Burnout and turnover are quick. The average career is 4-7 years, and that is on the high side.

I worked in telecommunications for 19 years, 8 months, and 3 days. I didn't graduate high school with any thought of becoming a dispatcher. It was something I started to get me by until I finished college and could start my "real" job. For whatever reason, it was something that fit me like a glove, and I loved it. It is a very challenging job, and if your granddaughter is one who loves helping people and can think fast a clearly in emotionally charged situations, she could do well.

Comment

Thank you for your input. She shows some of the qualities, but I still think 15 is a little young to be worrying too much on a career. We'll see where this goes.

Comment

A good dispatcher is worth their weight in gold. Both to the caller on the line and the responder on the radio.

Comment

Very tough emotionally. Almost everyone you talk to is having the worst day of their lives.

Got to be able to stay calm in stressful situations.

The lack of closure has to be so tough.

Im sure she could arrange a sit-in with a small department.

Comment

Nothing better in life than a good dispatcher. One that loves their job and does what camoquest said sure does make the day much better. I try to stay pretty open and call line and chat every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Randy, 15 is not to young to think about a career. In fact, it's a great age for young people to develop interests in a career. Because it gives guidance and direction on where/what type of education to get.

My daughter had decided at the age of 11 that she wanted to become a nurse. Guess what she is doing today? She got her RN license first. Then went back and got a Bachelors in Science in Nursing. And has a desire to become a practioner.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Since youre in allen, holler at me when shes a little older if she wants to come see what its all about

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                  Randy, 15 is not to young to think about a career. In fact, it's a great age for young people to develop interests in a career. Because it gives guidance and direction on where/what type of education to get.

My daughter had decided at the age of 11 that she wanted to become a nurse. Guess what she is doing today? She got her RN license first. Then went back and got a Bachelors in Science in Nursing. And has a desire to become a practioner.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
                  I'm going to talk to her more about this. I want to make sure it is what she really wants to do or if it is one of those computer generated "What You Would Be Good At" things.
                  Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                  Since youre in allen, holler at me when shes a little older if she wants to come see what its all about
                  Thanks. We're going to see how this shakes out. If she is still interested later on, I'll holler at ya.

Comment

Get her paramedic license.

Comment

911 Dispatchers are who keep many of us safe each and every day and a good one is worth their weight in gold. As in a lot of public safety careers, a very thankless job that is super high stress. 911 Dispatchers are unrecognized heroes that are many times unappreciated and they are greatly underpaid.

Comment

Originally posted by sog45 View Post
                        a good dispatcher is worth their weight in gold. Both to the caller on the line and the responder on the radio.
                        x50

Comment

If she understands things enough, have her listen to the dispatcher during the shooting of Chicago PD Officer Ella Fench. Just Google it. This dispatcher was amazing and gives you chills and makes your eyes water. That would be as bad as it gets. But, at the end, she would either be sold or have other thoughts. I have personally had some great ones on the other end of the radio that if not for them, not sure how things would have gone. Good luck to her.

Comment

Working...
                          X