1911 gunsmith in dfw ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1911 gunsmith in dfw ?

anyone knows of a gunsmith in dfw that can adjust the timing/lockup on a 1911? thanks!

The gunsmith at Winchester Gallery off Lancaster timed a 1911 barrel for me.

Comment

At one time I might have suggested EGA Euless Guns and Ammo but since Todd left and Ed is semi retired I don't think they have much in the custom gunsmithing dept.
      You can play around with recoil spring weights and get some effect. For my 5" barrel pistols I use 14 to 18lb for standard 230 gr loads and 22lb for 45 super loads and 230 grain bullets. I don't shoot much in 185 and 210 gr. Only when I have nothing else.
      All recoil springs are not created equal. Dual springs, double wound like Rowland uses, flat springs etc etc. Buy an assortment and experiment. After a while about all springs will weaken and take a set. Some are just better than others.
      I don't do much double tapping so I never really worry too much about my timing as long as it cycles, ejects and locks back when empty.
      I do like the flat wound springs as they last a lot longer before losing strength.

Comment

Oh and flat wound springs seem to have better harmonics and don't compress as much percentage wise and that makes them last longer. Wilson's are a favorite.
        Last edited by muzzlebrake; 12-02-2021, 11:08 AM.

Comment

EGA ..went by there some time back and asked ...they send everything off .. so not an option .. i have an old 38 super , it works but the slide is not totally closed flush , it sticks out the back just a little .. i'm annoyed by it ... i think it's the barrel lug based on what i researched ... but i'd rather have an expert look at it ..

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
            EGA ..went by there some time back and asked ...they send everything off .. so not an option .. i have an old 38 super , it works but the slide is not totally closed flush , it sticks out the back just a little .. i'm annoyed by it ... i think it's the barrel lug based on what i researched ... but i'd rather have an expert look at it ..
            Take out the recoil spring and see if it will close all the way. Only takes a second or two to rule that out.

Comment

Working...
            X