The Beatles, Get Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beatles, Get Back

Did anyone else watch the docu-series Get Back? Surprised nothing was posted about it. I turned 15 the month this occurred and of course without the online resources we have today we didn't know of the breakup until later. I always thought along with many that the Let it Be album was recorded later than Abbey Road. The breakup came as a shock to fans at the time.

Some interesting things observed. The egos grew too large in a short amount of time for them to stay a cohesive unit. The raw talent these four guys possessed was amazing. John Lennon was a weird dude but we knew that. The song writing process they used in the studio was pretty amazing to observe. I found myself wanting to help with the known words. George Harrison was an accomplished lead guitarist in his own right without being flashy. I always thought Ringo was great and his moves of the drums a bit unconventional but went with the different songs perfectly. It was good to see what the concert on the roof entailed.

Having been a fan back in the day, I found it interesting. It is amazing to me that a group of 20 somethings could have such a profound affect on pop culture at the time not to mention their contribution to popular music. It was worth one watch as a youth then. Now I can cancel Disney+ until needed again.

love the beatles...I will catch t

Comment

I'll be watching sir.
      The whole Beatles catalog is dang near perfect. They pretty much wrote every lyric and arrangement too. Theres never been another group so close to pure music genius

Comment

Have you seen that movie Yesterday? It has a ton of Beetles songs. After a lightening storm and strike, a guy wakes up to discover that the Beetles never existed. It is really good, light hearted positive movie. I think it is on Amazon Prime but might be available elsewhere.

Comment

I've been meaning to watch it. Will check it out for sure.

Comment

If you were/are a Beatles fan this is a don't miss event. You see songs being born out of thin air - Paul just noodling around on the guitar and his random notes turn into a riff that sounds vaguely familiar. He likes that riff so he keeps going with it while singing nonsense words and it develops into "Get Back". Like Bill, I vividly remember bringing home the "Let it Be" album, putting on my parents "Hi-Fi" and sitting down to listen and read the liner notes.

Comment

I remember my older sister going nuts about them.

Comment

I for one believe music can be highly powerful. I believe they came to be so popular due to all the change going on in the world at the time. In other words they came at a perfect time. Everything that was changing from technology to political had an effect of magnifying their popularity.

This is just my opinion as I was not around at the time. For some of you more seasoned folks, was it not all about ego that always seemed to break up “groups”?

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  If you were/are a Beatles fan this is a don't miss event. You see songs being born out of thin air - Paul just noodling around on the guitar and his random notes turn into a riff that sounds vaguely familiar. He likes that riff so he keeps going with it while singing nonsense words and it develops into "Get Back". Like Bill, I vividly remember bringing home the "Let it Be" album, putting on my parents "Hi-Fi" and sitting down to listen and read the liner notes.

The thing that got me was how many of the songs were gibberish why going through the instrumentals but turned into iconic songs. It was cool they Get Back came together.

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                  I for one believe music can be highly powerful. I believe they came to be so popular due to all the change going on in the world at the time. In other words they came at a perfect time. Everything that was changing from technology to political had an effect of magnifying their popularity.

This is just my opinion as I was not around at the time. For some of you more seasoned folks, was it not all about ego that always seemed to break up “groups”?

I would think so. They started the British Invasion and like you say, at a time when "the times they are achangin'".

Comment

How much did technology change and make it easier for folks to listen to music regularly? Again, I am only guessing but had radios not just become more readily available and tv was basically in it’s infancy? I am not trying to say they aren’t/were not talented I am just saying it was like a “perfect storm”.

Comment

We started watching it the other day. It was crazy to watch Yoko sitting right next to John the whole time they were rehearsing.

Comment

How much did technology change and make it easier for folks to listen to music regularly? Again, I am only guessing but had radios not just become more readily available and tv was basically in it’s infancy? I am not trying to say they aren’t/were not talented I am just saying it was like a “perfect storm”.

It was bit more advanced than that. FM was beginning to come on the air regularly too. We had colored TV for years prior to this.

Comment

Pop/rock radio really got rolling in the mid 50's and was accelerated by widespread use of pocket-sized "transistor radios" (invented in 1952) As far as TV, Ed Sullivan had many rock acts on starting with Elvis in 1956 and Buddy Holly in 1957. **** Clark's American Bandstand went nationwide on ABC around 1958. That show brought a weekly dose of rock n' roll into living rooms across the country

Comment

Most overrated band of all time

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              Most overrated band of all time
                              Agree

Comment

Working...
                              X