Venison- Neck roast recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison- Neck roast recipes

I think this there’s been a thread on this but not sure.

I usually grind up the neck for chili meat but Couldnt bring myself to waste this one. I saved 15# of neck meat off my rutted up neck mule deer and cut into 3ish # roasts. They are all boneless, if that matters.

Anyone have good recipes they want to share or have pinned?

I know I’ll be using a crock pot but I’m all ears for any suggestions…. Thanks in advance.

I usually slow cook them in a crock pot . Brown in a pan then put in beef stock in the crock. Pack of Lipton onion soup mix. Add a little brown gravy or any gravy mix to thicken the gravy. An hour or so before done add carrots and taters..
    The Mississippi pot roast recipe would work well also..

Comment

I made Mississippi Pot Roast in the crock pot with mine last time. It is always a crowd pleaser and couldn't be easier. it is great when pulled and eaten on King's Hawaiian Rolls.

Comment

I use a menudo recipe and just use the neck meat instead of tripe then add hominy. I cook the meat in a pressure cooker with the chili, onions and garlic for 1 hour on high. Just remember to add a little fat with it. Butter is fine really but really any medium to conduct the flavor to your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
          I made Mississippi Pot Roast in the crock pot with mine last time. It is always a crowd pleaser and couldn't be easier. it is great when pulled and eaten on King's Hawaiian Rolls.
          This is the route we go too. Hard to beat, super easy and leftovers keep getting better.

Comment

We make neck tacos. Here is the recipe:

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/re...k-tacos-recipe

They are fantastic. I have an Axis neck waiting to be made into tacos in the freezer.

Comment

A recipe for venison pot roast, Polish style with root vegetables and sour cream. This roast can be made in a crock pot or slow cooker.

How to make Jalisco-style birria. Birria is a hybrid braise and stew where the broth is as important as the meat, which is normally goat.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. I’ve done Mississippi pot roast on other leg roasts and it’s always been superb.

May have to try the menudo idea, could be interesting.

I just saved the hank Shaw polish recipe. Sounds great…

Comment

FWIW, I've also tried sous vide for a neck and wasn't happy with it...better to have the fat render into the braising juices than stay in the bag and cool back to solid. Still got the weird "mouth feel" of the venison fat. Was off-putting.

Edit: This was whole neck roast, bone-in. The individual pieces may work a bit better, but not sure.
                  Last edited by CWP; 11-30-2021, 09:27 AM.

Comment

I like to get a small fatty beef roast and throw in with it. The beef fat really helps with the flavor when you go low and slow on that neck meat. It's good either way.

I usually just grind it though. Chili.....yum
                    Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 11-30-2021, 09:28 AM.

Comment

neck roast carne quisada

Slow cook overnight at about 275 with lid on roaster and beef broth, pick out bones in the morning. Add HEB carne quiada seasoning. Probably miss spelled but sure taste good.

Comment

Whatever you do, do not trim any fat or sinew, leave as is for the crock pot. Second, use chicken stock with venison, pairs much better than anything else. Third, make whatever you want, roasting the neck is no different than roasting any other cut of meat.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                          Whatever you do, do not trim any fat or sinew, leave as is for the crock pot. Second, use chicken stock with venison, pairs much better than anything else. Third, make whatever you want, roasting the neck is no different than roasting any other cut of meat.
                          Big NO on the chicken stock.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
                            This is what we do with them. Hard to beat!

Comment

we have used nilgai and axis neck meat for some amazing stews. we cube the meat into 1-2" chunks and then sear it in the instapot. then add some vegetable stock or beef stock and vegetables/potatoes then finish in the instapot using a pressure cook. it comes out amazing

Comment

Working...
                              X