3000fps out of 20”bbl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
    The short fat cases like the 300WSM have the most efficient powder burn and should do the best in short barrel guns since they usually use slightly faster burn rate powders than long cases. W760 and H414 are what I load all my short magnums with and they all will exceed 3000 fps with mid range heavies 140, 165 and 200 gr.
    7mmWSM, 300WSM and 338WSM. Barrel lengths are 20", 22" and 26" respectively.
    Do you mind posting what you're getting out of your 300 WSM?

Comment

Originally posted by corps2010 View Post
      Do you mind posting what you're getting out of your 300 WSM?
      My reloads with Barnes TSX 150's a little over 3300 as I recall. Factory ammo Winchester 150 BST is dead on 3250 fps. Haven't ever shot any factory ammo with heavier than 150's. I can load 165 and 168's to the same velocity as factory 150's but I'm really pushing it and flattening primers with a little stickiness on the bolt. I usually load my hunting rounds around 2900-3000 for better accuracy. Best accuracy nodes for the 7mm WSM and 300 WSM are about the same velocity somewhere near 3000 and for the 338WSM somewhere around 2950+. Back when I was working up loads for these I went backwards and started at max velocity and pressure and backed off until I hit the sweet spots. That's the wrong way to do it but then I ain't always been the brightest bulb on the Xmas tree.

Comment

270WSM will get you there too.

I can get my 150Gr Accubonds to 3100FPS out of a 300SAUM with a 22" barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
          Starting to think about my next custom rig. I currently have an APR in 280ai with a 25” tube. Love the gun, just can’t get used to the length with my can on. So I am wanting something a little shorter to run my suppressor on. I am really wanting 3000fps out of a 20” tube with a 130-160 gr bullet. Would possibly step up to 22” but that would be the max. I don’t reload myself, but usually use Copper Creek or Hendershots to do load development and loading for me. I am thinking about a couple of options:

300wsm with a 150gr.

7 SAUM with a 140gr

Possibly the 6.8 Western with a 140-150.

Anybody run any of these out of a 20” tube? I know they will not be very efficient but not too concerned about that. Any other suggestions I should look at?

I know a 7-08/.308 probably makes the most sense here, but really wanting a little more horsepower.
          This may be on the bottom end of your criteria, but a 7-08AI is a fun little round. I am getting around 3075 with 120s, have not worked with the 140s yet. According to Kenny Jarrett 3100 is realistic with 120s and 3000 with the 140s.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
            This may be on the bottom end of your criteria, but a 7-08AI is a fun little round. I am getting around 3075 with 120s, have not worked with the 140s yet. According to Kenny Jarrett 3100 is realistic with 120s and 3000 with the 140s.
            In what length barrel? No way you’ll see that in a 20”.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post

Yup 20”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yup 20”

Hmmmm. Will have to look into that

Comment

Hmmmm. Will have to look into that

I’ve been impressed with the StaBall 6.5 powder in it

Comment

Run ballistics on the difference in 2800 and 3000 FPS. The amount of barrel life loss pushing that hard to achieve that in a short barrel isn’t worth it in my opinion. I’m running a 24” prc and a 22” 6 creed. Both with a dead air nomad. I’m not hotrodding either of them. You’d be surprised how little difference there is. Now say comparing a 140 6.5 Berger at 2900 and a 180 284 Berger at 3075? Yes. Big gains .

Don’t get too wrapped up in the speed. It’s important. But not to the point of torching barrels right and left.

I agree on the 300 WSM and the 7 SAUM being what you seek.
                    I’m not a 3000fps or bust mentality. I just like speed lol. I’m really just wanting the most speed I can get out of a 20” tube with a well constructed 140-160gr bullet without being so overbore that it’s obnoxious lol. I don’t necessarily mind a barrel burner, as it would take me a long time to shoot 500+ rounds with this new rig.

Comment

This is interesting… 3000 with a 140gr Accubond out of a 20” 7-08AI has my attention. Will need to look into this. Not sure if I can find someone to load that for me or not.

Comment

3000fps out of 20”bbl?

Don’t be so sure. I showed you the chrono reading of my all factory 20” 308 with 168ABLR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
                          This is interesting… 3000 with a 140gr Accubond out of a 20” 7-08AI has my attention. Will need to look into this. Not sure if I can find someone to load that for me or not.
                          I'm waiting for the Accubonds so I can work up the same thing. I'm going to play with the 140 Bergers next time I load for it.

Comment

Can you post up that load and speeds? 7saw with 160s is struggling to get 2900 out of a 26" tube.

I’ve been impressed with the StaBall 6.5 powder in it

Comment

Initially, 277 SIG FURY will be offered with the new 150-grain Nosler AccuBond projectile. It's a strong boattail bullet featuring a polymer tip, copper-alloy jacket with a lead-alloy core and a thick heel. They're getting 3,000 FPS from a 16-inch barrel and an additional 30 FPS for every additional inch of barrel.Jan 21, 2021

If it is ever avaiable.

Comment

3000fps out of 20”bbl?

Originally posted by texas_legend View Post
                                Initially, 277 SIG FURY will be offered with the new 150-grain Nosler AccuBond projectile. It's a strong boattail bullet featuring a polymer tip, copper-alloy jacket with a lead-alloy core and a thick heel. They're getting 3,000 FPS from a 16-inch barrel and an additional 30 FPS for every additional inch of barrel.Jan 21, 2021

If it is ever avaiable.

I will reserve complete judgement until it’s actually released en masse but I don’t see this going mainstream.

I’d be surprised if any brass makers show any interest in making it for the reloader market. I don’t see it being cost effective to retool to make a hybrid steel/brass case for a single cartridge and a small market. Obviously somebody is making the cartridge but I would imagine it’s for millions of rounds for the government IF it even gets adopted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                Last edited by Mike D; 11-19-2021, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X