SpaceX Starlink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Faster than fiber optic cable? Comparable?
    No, well depends. THEY say they will get 300 before EOY. I pay for gigabit at my house in Austin sop that isn't even close BUT 300 is pretty fast and you can stream movies, online game, and be on internet at same time at that speed.
    That said, if you can get that then you aren't their target market. 200 would be super fast for many rural areas. I'm looking at getting off the hot spot where I'm getting 100mbs which is ok but I'd like to have my family out where we can video conference to work at same time with confidence.

Comment

I put in my pre order back in October I think. Hoping it comes soon.

Comment

Originally posted by PROD49 View Post
        No, well depends. THEY say they will get 300 before EOY. I pay for gigabit at my house in Austin sop that isn't even close BUT 300 is pretty fast and you can stream movies, online game, and be on internet at same time at that speed.
        That said, if you can get that then you aren't their target market. 200 would be super fast for many rural areas. I'm looking at getting off the hot spot where I'm getting 100mbs which is ok but I'd like to have my family out where we can video conference to work at same time with confidence.
        300 means nothing without good latency.
        You can do everything you mentioned on 25 or less if you have true highspeed internet.
        100 will support multiple households without issue if your latency is low enough.
        As to Slicks question, no its not gonna beat fiber at present, from a bandwidth perspective.
        It all travels at the speed of light in theory(true speed of light requires a vaccum), the equipment\medium it travels through, is where the hold up occurs.
        Sorta like a car.
        You can have a Vette, and I can have a Vette, but if your cruising down a paved road, and Im over here in the grass, Im never gonna keep up, even though our cars run at the exact same speed in theory.
        Very few people have any idea how much internet they are actually using, but 500mb or a gig connection just sounds good.
        They give it to you in the city because its no big deal and they know you'll never use it.
        If people were actually taxing gig connections, they wouldnt offer it, but they know you won't, it's just marketing.
        You can run a whole neighborhood off a gig without issue in 99% of the US.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
          300 means nothing without good latency.
          You can do everything you mentioned on 25 or less if you have true highspeed internet.
          100 will support multiple households without issue if your latency is low enough.
          As to Slicks question, no its not gonna beat fiber at present, from a bandwidth perspective.
          It all travels at the speed of light in theory(true speed of light requires a vaccum), the equipment\medium it travels through, is where the hold up occurs.
          Sorta like a car.
          You can have a Vette, and I can have a Vette, but if your cruising down a paved road, and Im over here in the grass, Im never gonna keep up, even though our cars run at the exact same speed in theory.
          Very few people have any idea how much internet they are actually using, but 500mb or a gig connection just sounds good.
          They give it to you in the city because its no big deal and they know you'll never use it.
          If people were actually taxing gig connections, they wouldnt offer it, but they know you won't, it's just marketing.
          You can run a whole neighborhood off a gig without issue in 99% of the US.

What’s considered a good latency? Same thing as “Ping” on my Speedtest app?

Comment

Originally posted by neskora View Post

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post

Is that actually possible?

Comment

Originally posted by neskora View Post
                Good is relative.
                If you're under 20 you will most likely never have issues.
                0 latency is relative

Comment

Thanks Hatter... I'm out in the middle of nowhere myself but fortunately have a cell tower less than a half mile from my house so we get a good signal all over my property. I can stream movies, face time and upload/download files on multiple machines with my air card now... It's cheap so I'm not sure what this satellite thing will do for me... If it's like this satellite TV crap I have, I got no use for it... When the weather gets bad and I really need to know what's going on weather-wise, the dang satellite TV goes out and I have to use my laptop or phone for weather anyway... Will this starlink be susceptible to weather outages?

Comment

Paid my $99 Looking forward to it. GVEC internet is horrible.

Comment

Starlink advertising 150mb/s with 20-40ms latency. That’s practically the same as cable, etc., so if it’s 40ms or less, the vast majority of people won’t ever notice. Hatter is spot on that the speeds we get are so overblown, it’s just sounds and feels good to have Gigabit, etc. For reference, I was an engineer at Cisco for 15 years. We had a medium sized lab in our office supporting service provider, federal and enterprise customers. That lab also linked into our global network/shared resources with all Cisco lab network, etc. Then we had the employees in the office, the Telepresence rooms, blah blah blah. The circuit that supported that entire office was a 30MB Ethernet (business circuit) from AT&T. As Hatter said, 25-30 MB will support any modern household “if” it’s a good, low-latency connection. Our “25mb/s” HughesNet service at the ranch is practically unusable. Cant stream a YouTube church service. We’re on the Starlink list as well and I can’t wait to get it. Should it work as advertised (or even close to it), I expect it’ll be game changer for many.

Comment

Currently getting about 8mps with 140 latency. Cant wait for Starlink to get here

Comment

on the topic of data caps, do yall know if adblockers will prevent the ads from consuming data or does it just keep it from displaying to the user? i'd be pretty upset if my data plan was eaten up by ads.

Comment

Any updates on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 89 View Post
                              Any updates on this?
                              I'm still waiting.....
                              Told us a few weeks back we would be getting our demo, but crickets.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 89 View Post
                                Any updates on this?
                                It's coming guys. They are actually ahead of where I thought they would be especially dealing with covid. They are pushing to get them out. Something like this obviously has never been done before and they fact they had little to no idea what equipment or how the install would go in Jan 2020 yet they have systems running is pretty impressive. I still think in the end they will have a plug and play with no installer needed. That is their goal in the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X