6.5 Grendel on Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Grendel on Deer

What is everyones opinions on the grendel for deer size game? I have no experience with this caliber and want to swap my upper to something larger. I read that a grendel upper can be used on a 223 lower. What weights are yall using?
    Saw PSA has the complete uppers for a good price. It was either that spend the extra for the complete PSA 6.5 CM thats on sale for 799

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only killed two deer and a couple of hogs with it so far but all were DRT. 123gr SSTs tear a pretty good hole! It's generally the gun I grab when headed to the stand.

Marshall

Comment

the 123's are good to go on deer, if you do your part on shot placement.

Comment

Do it.

Comment

All day long !!

Comment

head Shot a doe late season - DRT
            pig killing little round too.
            Only wish there was a larger selection of ammo and at more locations. Hard to find in small town USA.

Comment

Nothing wrong with it for deer. I have shot 3 deer & numerous pigs with mine. Great low recoiling caliber for hunting.

Comment

123gr SSTs, no tracking needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Both the bucks I shot in 2017 didn’t complain, nor did they take a step. One of them was a 175 lb’er at 210 yards coming out of a 12.5” barreled 6.5 Grendel SBR.

Like Dale said, the SST’s and the Black ELD-M have both been bad medicine for anything I’ve shot.
                  Last edited by lglidewell; 02-11-2019, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Grendel is a great deer caliber! It was the first caliber I built in an AR, hard to decide on the next caliber in AR when you start with the best! LOL
                    It will be noticeably lighter than the AR10 6.5 CM.
                    Lowers will interchange no problem.

Comment

I swap between 223 and 6.5 grendel upper. Mine doesn't like the hornady sst . I'm waiting on some federal Msr. To show up in the mail box.. I haven't killed anything with it yet but it seems like a capable round..

Comment

123 SST's have efficiently killed many a deer and hog for our family. Ballistic/KE tables don't do the round justice. My proof comes from many kills with the 6.5G.

Comment

I shot two axis a few weeks ago and it worked great. The shots were both behind the shoulder at over 100yds and neither took a step.

Load was 123gr Hornady eld-m, both shots passed through with great terminal damage without "blowing up"

Comment

Any of you guys shooting the psa 20 inch ? Best I could do was 2 in group at 100 yds with the factory hornady rounds..

Comment

My gunsmith swears by the round. He has built his girlfriend 3 guns in that caliber and she has killed pigs, deer, and yotes with it.

I have considered the round myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X