Attic Ladder Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attic Ladder Repair

I have searched the internet far and wide, and it's like contractors are keeping some long lost secret from the world. They're isn't much information out there.

My attic fold down ladder keeps binding up, making it difficult to pull down. I think the springs are pulling too hard, bending the arms inward, which then scrapes up against the wood ladder.

I had a contractor tell me that the springs need to be replaced. But that didn't make sense. If springs "wear out" wouldn't they become too loose/long?

Buy a new ladder $150 complete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had reoccurring problems with my 20 year old cheap, builder grade attic ladder. (wood) After getting frustrated trying to fix it I decided to upgrade to an aluminum model with gas struts. I had to wait until one of my sons could come over to help me install it - not difficult but not a one man job. It was well worth the time and money - a rickety wood attic ladder can be dangerous. I think this is the one I bought:

Shop Werner AE 7.67-ft to 10.25-ft. (Rough Opening: 22.5-in x 54-in) Folding Aluminum Attic Ladder with 375 lbs. Capacity at Lowe's.com. The Werner AE2210 energy seal attic ladder provides 5 times more energy efficiency than a traditional attic ladder. Insulated door and weather stripping

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
        Buy a new ladder $150 complete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        What he said. You’ll spend more time and headaches just trying to fix the springs. Just change out the whole unit.
        Last edited by Tx.Fisher; 02-24-2021, 08:37 AM.

Comment

As referenced above, the new AL. pull downs are great. I will never own another wood version.

Comment

I cringe every time I go up mine. I may look at an aluminum one as well.

Comment

replace.. I fixed my ladder in my old house. When it came time to see the home inspector wrote up a red flag on safety because the ladder was not per code.

I ended up paying the new home owner to make it go away but it for 150.00 it would have saved me down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                I had reoccurring problems with my 20 year old cheap, builder grade attic ladder. (wood) After getting frustrated trying to fix it I decided to upgrade to an aluminum model with gas struts. I had to wait until one of my sons could come over to help me install it - not difficult but not a one man job. It was well worth the time and money - a rickety wood attic ladder can be dangerous. I think this is the one I bought:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-AE-7...ity/1000054487
                Thanks for the post. My ladder is on it's last leg and doesn't close properly. I think I found my next project.

Comment

Thanks jerp. My old ladder won't fold all the way up any more. I need to look into this.

Comment

Just like zerp said replace it with a new aluminum light weight one unless you repair is just adjusting the springs one way or another. I put a rope on the next to last step and tied it in the attic and some sliding dead bolts where my wife could pull up the ladder from the attic, lock it and pull the handle up to the 8 ft ceiling in case she ever needed to hid if someone was breaking in.

Comment

Oh thanks for that link jerp! Last week during the cold blast I went up in our attic to adjust our recirc pump timer, and noticed a crack in the ladder near the top, and was figuring I'd need to repair. It has always been a heavy, difficult beast to pull down and put up. I'll have to get one from Lowes.

Comment

Yup, mine was binding up and wood starting to crack. Was easier to just buy a new one from Home Depot and replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by AgBass01 View Post
                          Yup, mine was binding up and wood starting to crack. Was easier to just buy a new one from Home Depot and replace it.
                          Yep mine on its last leg also. I will be doing this and replacing.

No brainer

Comment

I put one of these in last year. It is awesome and was very easy to install.

Comment

Thx guys, looks like I'll be replacing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X