No announcement yet.

PSA: Frito Fire Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potato chips work too. I prefer laundry lint or cotton balls coated in vaseline

Comment

the meat of a pecan, not the shell, has enough oil that it will burn readily and for a long time

Comment

I carry calcium carbide, add water and light.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
          Potato chips work too. I prefer laundry lint or cotton balls coated in vaseline
          Put the lint in a egg carton and melt wax on top and you have a water proof starter.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Comment

I get a cedar fence board and my hand plane. A WM plastic bag full of shavings starts a lot of fires.

Comment

I know myself well enough to know in a survival situation I couldn't have anything edible to light on fire. Because I'd eat it. Because it's a survival situation.....

I'd use my matches or lighter and eat Fritos by the fire.

Comment

I have found hands down the best non chemical starter is feed sacks. The brown paper feed sacks that the co-op sells cattle feed in. I've never failed to start a fire with these.

Comment

I keep a few cotton balls with melted vaseline on them for starters. I'd have a mental block against burning food in a survival situation, although that's an interesting bit of info...

Comment

Take a starter log they sale for fireplaces. Saw it up into about 3/4" disks and then cut them into 4 pizza slices. One starter log will make quite a few fire starters.

Comment

These are great.

Small rolls of newspaper dipped in paraffin wax work good too.

Comment

Pear Burner

Comment

Sawdust mixed with a little kerosene works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Gutpileaddict View Post
                            Put the lint in a egg carton and melt wax on top and you have a water proof starter.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
                            I keep mine in a medicine container

Comment

I teach my kids how to start a fire with one match, then work backward from there until they can start one with steel and flint.

If you don't know how to build a fire that is easy to start, you could use a gallon of diesel and still not get it going.

Comment

Working...
                              X