USMC Stepbro advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USMC Stepbro advice?

My dad remarried and my much younger stepbrother signed up and goes June 1. He is very fit, but has asked me to introduce him to firearms, as he has zero experience. I can teach a man gun safety, manipulation, and how to shoot as a civilian. However, I am not military.

I know we have a ton of USMC vets and active here.

Any advice?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yes, Let them teach him, they will teach him all he needs to know. If it was me, I would be careful because there is only one way, the Marine Corp way when dealing with the Marines. But it is nice of you to want to help him.

Comment

Thats what I assumed. 'Just trying to help in any way I can.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Teach him how to properly clean an AR. Teach him safety. And finally teach him form.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

The more understanding of something the better. Sure the Marine corp will teach him but he will be that much farther ahead of someone else if he has some experience and understanding of basic firearms and words. It won't be as foreign as hearing those words or concepts for the first time. Just my .02 cents

Comment

He will be taught. Trust me on this. No matter what your MOS is every Marine is a rifleman first and foremost. We qualified at 200, 300, and 500 yards with iron sighted M16,s. Unfortunately today I couldn’t even see the target at 500 yards. He will be taught BRASS. Breath, Relax, Aim, Stop, Squeeze.
            Semper Fi USMC 74-78

Comment

I cant speak for the Marines, but as a former Army Drill Sergeant, it was always good to have those new recruits that have had at least SOME weapons experience. If you have an AR, I would recommend teaching him the functioning of the weapon. Start by teaching him how to load a magazine, then go into how the weapon functions in order to grab the next available round and and slide it into the chamber and so on. Knowing how to take down, clean and rebuild will be beneficial when it comes to weapons cleaning and maintenance.

This We'll Defend! Army 03-17

Comment

I never touched a rifle before I went into the Marines. Assembly/disassembly would have helped a lot. Pulling and locking the bolt back will help with drill

Comment

My dad was all kinds of firearms, hunting, federal officer, former military, etc. He didn't ask me about them and I didn't express interest in firearms until I joined the Army. That's the first gun I ever fired... I managed to qualify expert in 9MM, 45ACP, and .223 with zero experience. I would personally recommend you leave it alone. They will teach him and drill him over and over and over... You may unwittingly teach him a few habits that will annoy the instructors but then that's just me.

I would add there were a lot of "hotshots" who thought they knew better when it came to range time and while some did shoot well, just as many passed with just "ok" numbers.

Comment

Let them teach. Don't let him learn bad habits from someone else. Just gives a DI reason to screw with him.

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                      My dad was all kinds of firearms, hunting, federal officer, former military, etc. He didn't ask me about them and I didn't express interest in firearms until I joined the Army. That's the first gun I ever fired... I managed to qualify expert in 9MM, 45ACP, and .223 with zero experience. I would personally recommend you leave it alone. They will teach him and drill him over and over and over... You may unwittingly teach him a few habits that will annoy the instructors but then that's just me.

I would add there were a lot of "hotshots" who thought they knew better when it came to range time and while some did shoot well, just as many passed with just "ok" numbers.
                      This.
                      He will have timed drills (or we did) on tearing down and reassembling an M16. He will have a week or two of “snapping in”. He will learn how to adjust his own windage and elevation etc. No offense young man.

Comment

They will teach him everything he needs to know. If he want's to get a head start, I would have him memorize his 10 General Orders for start. He can even memorize weapons cpabilites such as max effective range for a point target and area target for the M-16A4, etc.

Comment

Yall could shoot some cans with a .22.

Comment

That’s a great idea! And have him practice getting dressed in under a minute, sleeping with one eye open, staring straight ahead, bends and mother fkrs, push ups, sit ups, chin ups, three mile run in combat boots and fatigues etc etc. And the most important thing to remember is this: The only thing a Marine is afraid of is a bigger Marine!

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
                              Teach him how to properly clean an AR. Teach him safety. And finally teach him form.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
                              This! 100%

Comment

Working...
                              X