Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know much about elk hunts in unit 34?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know much about elk hunts in unit 34?

Friend of mine is trying to get me to go, but the price is a little more than I want to spend. Guided hunt. What is this unit like?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Very high population. Elk everywhere. You’ll never be far from a road. If you research elk and have a way to get a tag, I would say a guide is not needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

34 is my top spot in my app.

Comment

What state are you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
          Sounds like NM

Comment

I assumed NM. Could be wrong tho.

Comment

What outfitter? I hunted unit 34 in 2018. Lots of elk and solid bulls in the 300 range. I called around for a unit wide landowner last year and minimum 7500 if you could even find just for tag.

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
                What outfitter? I hunted unit 34 in 2018. Lots of elk and solid bulls in the 300 range. I called around for a unit wide landowner last year and minimum 7500 if you could even find just for tag.
                Ralph Ramos.

Comment

NM

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                    Ralph Ramos.

I got ripped off by an outfitter in Unit 34 probably 15 years ago so my experience is probably not relevant.

Last I heard they were out of business. Not that name for sure.

Comment

Hunted there in 2016, lots of elk. I was able to draw a tag though, I think it is one of the more sought after tags so if you are getting a land owner tag they are pricey.

Comment

I believe 24 is the Flattops Widerness area and I did a DIY hunt just south in unit 25 - called in my own 5x5 and took it with a ML.

Unit 34 looks to be SW of 25 - not sure how far it is from Shingle Peak or the Turret Meadows area but I recall looking south and seeing lots of aspen stands.

I think there's a trail called Sweetwater that comes up from the south but not sure how far east it is of 34. We came in from Trapper's Lake thru Unit 24 to get to Unit 25. Good luck.

file:///var/folders/sv/hxgnrm_d3wv_bl4k7kxb9nmw0000gn/T/WebKitDropDestination-1FMSxBGB/Screen%20Shot%202021-01-25%20at%204.53.25%20PM.jpg
                        Last edited by tpcollins; 01-25-2021, 03:58 PM.

Comment

If you can swing it go! Lot’s good bulls.

Comment

Nope, drew a muley tag their years ago, didn't get to go

Comment

I have heard there are lots of elk there. I have never personally hunted it. I have friends who have and they were always in elk. If you are looking for a good hunt at a legit 300" bull, probably as good of odds as anywhere. If You are looking for 330"+ I would think that would be a stretch. They are there but not behind every bush. Population there is really good. Antler growth appears supposed to down next year from what I have read. Not as much snow as normal and pretty dry winter overall.

Comment

Working...
                              X