Neosporin question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neosporin question

Can Neosporin cause an infection to get worse? It seems like every time I use Neosporin, the area gets more infected. Is this just my imagination?

i have noticed that if it a deep wound, it does not help as much, but for minor cuts and scratches it helps, when i have a band aid with it

Comment

Yes. I have an allergic reaction to it. Try bacitracin ointment.

Comment

It is an anti-bacterial ointment. Should not make an infection worse, unless you have not taken care of that infection as with medication first. It will help close up the wound rapidly and if there is infection inside it most likely will try to find it's way out...so it may appear to make it worse.
        I have been changing my wife's bandages twice a day for the last month from a surgery she had, I just started using Neosporin the last few days now that the infection has cleared.

Comment

cuts

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          Yes. I have an allergic reaction to it. Try bacitracin ointment.
          I ain't no Doc but gota agree with above...(Personalty I use Iodine lots of people are allergic to it though )...Burns like hell on fresh cut but that lets me know its doing its thing...

Comment

The doctors I have been to in the last few years have suggested POLYSPORIN rather than NEOSPORIN because NEOSPORIN is known to cause allergic reactions similar to what you are describing

Comment

Neosporin is a very weak antibiotic. Remember, it's available over-the-counter. It's not strong enough by itself for many infections.

Comment

Get some Monkey’s Blood! It’ll just cauterize it and you’re done!

Comment

I've switched over to polysporin. Have no issues with that.

Comment

Peroxide sprayed in the wound/cut followed by a bandaid with Neosporin has been my go to for as long as I can remember. It’s cleared up several infected areas and kept many areas from getting infected for me through the years. Reading above I guess it’s a crapshoot on if it works for you.

Comment

My Sister just discovered she has developed an allergy to Neosporin. She had hand surgery about 1.5 months ago the Doctor could not figure out why she wouldn't heal until she finally told him she was putting neosporin on it. He told her don't put anything else on it just wash it several times a day with Hibiclens soap. Starting to heal up now

Comment

Just had this conversation with my dermatologist last week after having moles removed.
                        He absolutely would not recommend neosporin. Said too many people have an allergic reaction to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Czechfish View Post
                          Just had this conversation with my dermatologist last week after having moles removed.
                          He absolutely would not recommend neosporin. Said too many people have an allergic reaction to it.
                          Good info, thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by big papa View Post
                            Can Neosporin cause an infection to get worse? It seems like every time I use Neosporin, the area gets more infected. Is this just my imagination?
                            Is it more infected or just more red and irritated? Neosporin also has some additives in it that can lead to the redness and irritation.

Comment

I usually wash out cuts with Hydrogen Peroxide to remove infection and then put "boil ease" on it covered by a band aid. The boil ease is a drawing salve and continues to pull infection out of the wound.

Comment

Working...
                              X