No announcement yet.

Trifecta complete. A 12 I named Wednesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I KNOW I drilled that deer. My snapshot says so. It's the one thing in my shots over the years that I do. I really SEE the arrow disappear. I've only not seen it once in all the deer I've killed. I ALWAYS see the shot. I have help on the way, but I head back after an hour to start looking.

I look for blood. None. I can see "digs", so I know which way he went. It's the way he almost always came from. I decide to not go in the area to look for blood. Instead, there's a ditch up the road that he'd have to cross if he headed north. If no sign in the ditch, then I'd hit one of several trails 70 or so yards behind the area where I corn and he'd have to cross that.

I ease up the ditch. No sign. Check all trails coming into it. No blood. I get about 70 yards and there's a big trail that dumps into the ditch. I figure to follow it and box the area and see if I can find blood. If not, my help will have arrived by then and I start following his tracks. Should find blood within 50 yards. As I turn off the ditch to start the back part of the square, I stop. Dang, there he is. Stone cold dead right at the edge of the back trail, just before he'd get in the ditch. It's done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01787.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	23868954

Name:	DSC01788.JPG
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	23868955

He probably went about 70 yards. Was dead on the run and probably before I got my bow back in the holder. He must have been quartered just enough to cause the arrow to go back instead of straight through. My snapshot was dead-on. I DRILLED him right where I was aiming. He must have never got his body square to me when he moved that leg forward.

He scored 151 even. He was just over 20 outside, which surprised me. Short tines hurt him. I had him at 148 to just under 150. 151 was a surprise.

With my two 'San Angelo bucks, I have about 460 inches at the taxidermist.

I hunted the deer about 35 full days. 1/2 day Saturday and 1/2 day Wednesday would be considered a "full day. That's 70 hunts. Most out of the same blind. These "pen" deer are so easy. Blind burnout? I don't worry about it. I hunt aggressively and go where the deer that I'm hunting is frequenting. This was one of the hardest deer to kill that I've ever hunted. It's a miracle that he lasted that long without breakage. He had good mass, and that might have helped. His little point between the right 2 and 3 was chipped and that might have cost him an inch, but everyting else was in tact.

Here's my two corn lines. The one on the left is where he was standing when the RAge hit him. He was right at 18 yards.

Name:	DSC01784.JPG
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	23868956

Name:	DSC01785.JPG
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	23868957

Next year, unless something changes, I'll be after Brother John. He's pretty secretive, also. The key will be to get him before he breaks. I have some ideas.

I'll post some LDP's tomorrow after I resize them

Comment

Great story and great buck. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

As Chew said, Great read & thanks for the ride along!

Congrats on another huge buck!

(what about a sling shot for the cows?)

Comment

Great buck and even better story. I expect nothing less from you tuthdoc. Great job and congrats.

Comment

Sweet! Thank's for taking us on your journey....it almost felt like "35 full days" waiting on the story Good job! Can't wait to see thew LDP pics.

Jeff

Comment

Congratulations John. Chances are that I will never kill a 150. You've done it three times in one year. I am happy for you. Nobody tells a story like you do...you're the king.

Comment

Great write up and great buck! Congrats!!

Comment

Awesome write up, years of experience & persistece paid off. Most would have given up. Great job. Congrats

Comment

very nice

Comment

What an awesome story! congrats on a great season

Comment

What a great write up!! Always enjoy your stories!

Comment

Here are some LDP's
                          Attached Files

Comment

oops. Forgot my TGP.

Name:	TGP.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	23868967

couple more

Name:	LDP8.jpg
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	23868968

Name:	LDP9.jpg
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	23868969

My nephew Blade was with me on this trip. He was able to photograph some BIG deer, kill some pigs, get a javelina, eat some great steaks (and he CAN eat) and lay hands on my buck. He wanted LDP's with him, so here's one.

Name:	blade with Wednesday.jpg
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	23868970

Comment

wow, very nice!

Comment

Awesome!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X