No announcement yet.

How fast will you drive in 4 HIGH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ours just says not to shift in or out over 45 MPH. With all the snow and ice lately we leave it in 4 high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How fast will you drive in 4 HIGH?

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
      Be careful, 4wd will get you in more trouble in these conditions. I run 4wd when needed and run 2wd 99% of the time. I only use the 4wd when absolutely necessary. My grandfather told me this from his experience running power lines in the North West. Stay safe!
      Yep an old timer told me that many years. He never had a 4wd truck. Said, “All 4wd does is get you stuck farther from the highway.” [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

I didn’t listen. I have 4wd. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Look on your drivers side visor. Most have info about it.

Comment

No speed limit I’m aware of other than when not to shift into 4

Comment

4WD on ice is not much better than the 4 tires that were sliding around in 2WD. Chains are the answer for this crap.

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
              You might be tempted to drive where you probably shouldn't, or faster than you should, is most likely what he meant.

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
              What was his reasoning?

Yup, EB hit the nail on the head!

Comment

If I’m driving in 4wd, it’s because road conditions are bad, so I generally don’t get over 40 (actually didn’t get over 30 when I ventured out yesterday and today). You people driving 70 are the ones I watch out for and avoid on the road...SMH!

Comment

Wfo!

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                    Guilty.
                    I was low balling myself at 70

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                      What was his reasoning?
                      I have a feeling his reasoning wasn't considering highway driving, but being overconfident OFF road and wandering into trouble... I learned this many years ago. You can get "stuck" in 2 wheel drive and switching to 4x4 usually allows you to crawl out, but if you get in a bind while in 4x4 you are likely STUCK!

I work and hunt & fish a lot in the northwest, especially Montana and Wyoming. I get into a lot of really bad road conditions when traveling and I have learned the hard way that if you're pushing your luck on iffy highways that are iced up, staying in 4x4 is a smart move. I have had times when I switched into 2 wheel drive during temporary clear roads, only to hit the icey spots and start fishtailing and slipsliding until I switched back to 4x4. It's always unnerving and a feeling that's hard to get used to.

Just my experience.

Comment

I ruined the chain in my 2012 dodge 3500 transfer case. Was told they are bad about going out using 4wd on the highway at speeds faster than 45.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
                          Be careful, 4wd will get you in more trouble in these conditions. I run 4wd when needed and run 2wd 99% of the time. I only use the 4wd when absolutely necessary. My grandfather told me this from his experience running power lines in the North West. Stay safe!
                          Truth. I'm from Kansas and had very few cases where I switched to 4wd.

Comment

I lived in Co. and frequently pulled heavy trailers up to those quaint little 13 mill$ log cabins to do granite and when on the highway w/o a trailer I found that 45 was tops, most everytime someone tried to pass me it didn't end well for them heck I remember one guy that ended up lookin me eye to eye as he was goin backwards! If it's clear enogh to run over 45 then it's clear enough to run 2WD JMO

Comment

Run it regularly at 70-75 in west Texas when weather is nasty like this. Got a lot of miles on a lot of trucks without ever having an issue.

Comment

Online said 4H for 15-55 in my one fiddy !
                                So I run 60 just to make sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X