X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice writeup Charlie I sure like that tripod

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good shooting and write up. Keep em coming.

Comment

Awesome Two fer Charlie

Comment

Coyote sniper! very nice

Comment

That's great....Thanks for sharing!!!

Comment

nice double

Comment

Great post Charlie. Congrats on the yotes

Comment

Nice shooting!

Comment

Heck yeah! Well done!

Comment

Great read!! Congrats on the double. That’s a once in a lifetime feat.

Comment

Guys, there is a "chapter 2" to this story...

So the next morning I decided to sit that same stand again, and it was a rather slow morning... not a lot going on. I had seen a couple of my "regulars" come in. This set up is near a large dirt tank. I have a bit corn feeder up above the tank that is about a hunert yards from the tower stand. Have a Krivoman blind set up on that feeder. There's no pen or anything, just a feeder. Got that one set up so when I take my grandsons (8 and 10 years old), we have a blind that is comfortable and big enough for all three of us. I also bow hunt it when I want to actually kill something myself...

180 degrees from that, I have another feeder set up that is a large cattle panel pen with both a corn feeder and cottonseed feeders in it. That sucker is a deer magnet. Well I was looking back Northeast toward the feeder pen and slowly turned to look back toward the tank and other feeder when I saw not one, not 2, not 3 but FOUR coyotes out running around in that same opening where I'd shot the other two the evening before...

I quickly scrambled to get in position again hoping to do a repeat of last night. To this very moment, I don't have a clue why that particular little opening was so attractive for the coyotes to hang out and rip and romp like a bunch of back yard pups, but none the less there they were... I quickly got dialed in on a large one and began to follow him around with the rifle waiting for another clear shot. They were all about the same distance out, right at 250 yards. After about 2 or 3 minutes of swinging back and forth on the same yote, he ran completely out of the opening and back into the brush near the tank, so I acquired a second target nearby and began to follow him. Almost instantly, he stopped and another one trotted across behind him, BOOM!! I shot quick trying to "do it again"... No such luck! Heck, I missed 'em both!!

The rest of the coyotes seemed to be oblivious to my shot and were out running around the opposite side of the opening so I got lined up on another one and dropped him where he stood, got lined up on a third one and hit him a bit back spinning him around. He went down but almost immediately came back up and took a nose dive into the brush. I was so excited and pumped looking for another target that it took me a minute or two to calm down. Again, I was shakin' like I'd just kilt me a big ol' buck... I guess that's why I do it. Anyway, the rest of the hunt was rather quiet. After shooting up the woods so to speak, I didn't see but one more small yearling buck at the cottonseed inside the feed pen.

I climbed down and went out to inspect my kills. I found the one yote lying right where he had hit the dirt, a good hit in the neck right where I was aiming... Man I love this gun! The other one however that was trotting when I shot him, was nowhere to be found. I probably could have tracked him down because he was leaving a pretty good trail, but it went into some really thick stuff full of cactus and mesquite/huisache, and not somewhere I wanted to crawl through so I just chalked him up as a "kill" but not "recovered"... Still it was a great hunt, but my money saving advantage went out the door with that rushed shot/miss!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4543.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	24641901

Oh Maggie the Wonder Dog had to ham it up a bit... She's a camera hound besides being a great retriever and tracker... If you look close, you can even see the "smirk" on her face...
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4542.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	382.7 KB
ID:	24641902

Comment

Not bad ....not bad at all for a charter GOF member...... The readers in the one pic make it greatness!..

Good shooting Charlie! Congrats on the pile of fawn killers!!

Comment

well done sir!

Comment

Slow down, line them up and get back ahead of the curve

Comment

Congrats. I had that same type opportunity once and passed it up because I didn’t want to spook any big buck that might be about to make an appearance. Hi still kick myself for not taking that shot!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X